Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: Help, my pond has tons of froth and bubbles!!!!!

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 24, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 9, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9157906

Hello!!!,
My pond is frothy and I am very nervous!! I had not tested because I misplaced my testing set. I have water showering over the netted pond and it seems like the bubbles are slowly disappearing. Any ideas??

Thanks

Belle
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 9, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9158134

Here are the test results

Nitrite--5
ammonia--0
ph--7.6

We are changing water with a sump pump.
I hope some one here can calm my nerves!! LOL!!!

Thank you,

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9158225

Just going thru all my notes. Nitrite is too high. My notes say must be less than 5PPM. Critical!!!!
There is a website pondcrisis.co.
Are the fish showing any signs of desease?
If you don't have a local koi club you can call for advice I will find tel. no. for Joe White who is editor of USA Koi mag. and been raising koi for 35 years. He is very nice and I'm sure would help you.
Let me know if you want his no. D-mail me or call me 352-3949-4883.
At first I just thought it sounded like your fish were spawning. I'm sure we can figure it out.
When all else fails I do just what you are doing empty pond completely and refill and start over with Proform-C and 1/2 bucket of salt.
Don't panic (says me) I'm sure theres a way to figure it out.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9158260

If you have fish in it, it sounds like they may have been spawning. You will get a protien froth if that's the case. I'd do only half a water change, but look around as the level lowers. If you see tiny eggs stuck to anything, stop draining and refill from there. You can also buy a liquid foam eliminator, but need to know if there are water issues ahead of time. Hopefully it's something simple and "healthy" like a fish spawning! :) Let me know
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9158265

Bell,
Check your D-mail for tel. nos.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 9, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9158287

You are right, they are spawning and are wrecking the plants inside. It happened last year in which I found tons of eggs after they ruined and shredded a lot of my plants.

Bonnie,

I will call just in case.

I have beautiful healthy kois so I am very nervous. I am feeling better and has to turn off the water.

I thank you for the response and will keep you updated.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9158296

Belle

Glad it is spawning! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your small fry this fall!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 9, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9158299

My pond is over 10 years and I had small baies one year but they get eaten.
Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9158362

Pull some of the plants with eggs and put them in a separate tubby with air...let them hatch and see what you get! You can add attractice ones back to the pond, and get rid of the drab ones. Especially if you have attractive adults, then there's a possibility you may get a great looking one out of this year's spawn! Congrats!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 9, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9158474

I will do it, try to isolate if i find eggs.

Thanks,

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9158529

Wonderful. There just doing what comes naturally.
Hope you can get some fry.
Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 9, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9158547

I watch them all day, and the kois are a lot calmer. Some plants are shredded but there are still some froth but not bad.

How long is spawning?

I hope I get some fry too.

Thanks again.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9158701

Belle

They each spawn once - don't know how many fish you have and how many of them are female, but you will get a spawning from each female.

I had alway thought the fry population would be taken care of by the adult fish eating them, but I always had slews of fry at the end that I had to remove.

Congratulations!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9158703

Spawning is usually between 4 and 7:00am...then just a little bit more after that...It only goes on for a day or 2. If you see any sign of distress from your females, make sure you separate them to keep them healthy. The males can really be a nuisance (especially if there are more males than females) Otherwise, it won't go on for long...if you can dump a floating plant, or spawning mop in the pond, you can watch early in the morning, and pull it out after you see them spawn for a while. Take the eggs stuck to it , elsewhere, for protection. The rest of the spawn will take place, but they will eat the eggs immediately. At least you'll get to save a few if you're on top of things. If you don't really want any more koi, then don't worry about it at all, and let them eat all eggs.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 10, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9158874

Good morning!!

Up very early to check on my pond and it is clear , kois just happy going around!!

I checked for eggs but did not see any, will take a look again underneath the plants.

Happy ponding!!!!

Belle
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 10, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9158964

When my pond first starts up in the spring or with a major water change I get that foam also. It eventually goes away. I don't know what causes it but it doesn't seem to hurt either fish or plants. We just had the pond fixed as the rock at one entire end was sliding into the pond. We drained all but the bottom of the 3.5' end where the fish were. I only have goldfish as I lost all my koi during last winter. Made a mistake in judgement that caused the loss. Anyway, I refilled it yesterday and sure enough here comes the foam. I will begin adding my usual start up stuff today. Proform-C and one treatment of Prazi to assure no bad stuff, them MicrobeLift PL. I assume I will have the usual bloom of algae for a while until it cycles through.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 10, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9159003

All is calm this morning, did not see any eggs. DH changed filters twice yesterday before the mystery got solved.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9159030

Mary S

The foam and or bubbles can be an indication of disolved oxygen content. http://www.hedley.ca/oxygen2.htm - the second item in this article goes into depth and it sounds like circumstances that you may have with the heavy snows and the thick layer of ice.

I know the microbelift almost instanteously releases the oxygen when ammonia levels are high, my line of thinking is that the microbelift would help this situation as well.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 10, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9159102

What causes the foam/bubbles during spawning? Too lazy to google!! LOL!!

Thanks,

Belle

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9159282

My guess is bodily fluids from the koi.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 10, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9159315

Thanks Carolyn. I am doing the prazi and proform-C right now to make sure I have no bugs. Then start the PL. I am going to bite the bullet and order Algaway 5.4 and the fall winter treatment. I just can't find anything in the volume I need. I have estimated the new pond shape to be 2800 gallons. Looks bigger and deeper due to the walls and clean shape. Or maybe that is my imagination. I'll check out the URL just so I know what is going on with the foam and bubbles. Also will try to start posting the before pics, and then the during pics. They should be done Monday. Thanks heavens. It has been so stressful. Damien was concerned about getting a good footing and at one point was going to make them pull all they had done out (footings, walls) and dig down 6' to sand, then backfill with crushed asphalt, then D1, and compact. I about had a nervous breakdown.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9159420

No problem, Mary. I had the problem a couple of years ago myself.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9161410

Bell,
Last year I didn't know what to look for and then got smarter. I found some eggs in filter material and rinced it away thinking it was more gunk. Also found some on skimmer cover underneath. Don't know how they got there.
When all ponds are done I will set up an aquarium near ponds and be more consciensus about getting eggs out fast and isolating them during spawning. Untill then my koi will have more to eat of protein. LOL
Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 12, 2012
12:43 AM

Post #9161653

Bonnie,
DH cleaned the filters twice while we were changing water. I had not noticed any eggs yet!!!

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9162938

Bell,
From what I read they eat them up pretty fast. Hopefully sometime I will have the time to pay full attention to spawning time. I have the spawning mats made from 2 new mop heads attached to corks so they can float. Also some yarn spawning mats I made. Think near the time I'll put a male & female in seperate small tank and see what happens.
Well I'm pooped had a long day today working on new pond. Ready to hit the sack. Thats Navy for time to go to bed.
We will get eggs someday and it will be fun to see what hatches out from them.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America