Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carnivorous Plants: Anyone tried it?

Communities > Forums > Carnivorous Plants
bookmark
Forum: Carnivorous PlantsReplies: 2, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 9, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9158565

I have read that many Nepanthes do well in pure long sphagnum moss. I just got a couple tiny plants and am thinking about trying it. My other plants are in a peat/sand mix with some live moss on top. Is anyone growing theirs this way? I also have some fir bark (reptile bark) and am thinking about mixing that in as well. An experiment to see if I get bigger plants than what I have now.
C
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 9, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9158672

Mine came in sphagnum so I put that into a pot and added shredded coconut husk to fill in the gaps. The sphagnum hasn't survived so I'll top up with more coconut husk and probably add a bit of sand. Checking out habitat information, it apparently comes from swamps where its roots are sometimes in submerged soil. I think it's important to know about habitat so you can imitate as close as possible. Experimenting is good though, if you've got spare plants.
ayahuasca
Beverly Hills, CA

August 6, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9231859

I have done long fibered sphagnum with success. I actually have several nepenthes in LFS including N. hamata, N. ventricosa had an N. jamban that way but it died recently :(
Personally, I do not use LFS anymore and have been switching substrates. I much prefer an airy mix now.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carnivorous Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vegitarian Plants BogweedBuck 15 Aug 1, 2008 9:14 AM
You all have got to see this! Equilibrium 21 Oct 15, 2008 5:40 PM
Philcula, bog pot or ground bog for new sarracenia hybrid GSkinner 36 Jan 17, 2010 7:35 AM
Let's make a little bog garden! Pixydish 31 Oct 4, 2007 3:17 AM
A couple of my CPs I have yet to kill off Gerris2 9 Apr 28, 2007 7:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America