Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Failsafe for brooder light in small spaces

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 5, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9158917

Hopefully no-one will ever need this, but just in case :)

Several times recently I have had to keep chicks in small cat carriers. It's been two chicks each time, and that was the only space I had available. In the larger brood spaces, I have a back up light fixture, in case a bulb does not live up to it's labeled hours.
Anyway, I had found two wet, cold, abandoned chicks, and wasn't set up for them at all. So, I filled a soda bottle with hot water and wrapped it in a washcloth. Dried them as best I could, and snuggled them next to the bottle as a heat source while the light warmed up their new home. The carrier has a top door, so works well with a light fixture on top. Anyway, they seemed to do better, so I left them in the set-up. Two days later, I found that the (new) bulb had gone out during the night. I was sure they would be dead, or at least badly chilled. Fortunately, the water in the bottle had stayed warm. The chicks had burrowed in next to it, under the washcloth. I thought it was a good thing I'd put it there, under the light. The light had been enough to keep the water warm.
I did the same set-up for the new twosome. And again, the bulb went out. Again, the bottle stayed warm long enough for me to get the problem fixed.

I do use a new bulb each time, but it's become hard to find "quality" 100 watt regular light bulbs. The ones I have don't last long :(

HTH
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9159944

One of the problems is these energy efficient bulbs don't stand much jarring at all. Have you tried rough service bulbs. Home Depot lists them.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9160267

I've foud the energy effiecient bulbs to be useless in providing warmth. That's why I said "regular", but guess I should have said "old-fashioned inefficient non-coil" ;) Those I usually find are made in China. Don't last.
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9164136

I'm so glad to have found this thread! I am brand new to chickens and have had my three little chicks for about three weeks now. At the recommendation of the farm stand where I got the chicks, I started with a 250W heated white bulb for a "mere" $11. Are two weeks it burned out during the night and left my chicks cold. Luckily, they survived with no problems. The second bulb I bought (another $11) was a red 250W heated bulb from Home Depot. It burned out after one day. Is this normal? Why are these bulbs blowing? I put a regular 60W incandescent in there with them tonight. They are almost 5 weeks old and have most of their feathers so I think that should be warm enough, but I'm annoyed about the expensive heat bulbs being virtually useless.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9164751

I actually have a heat bulb I've never used. I've only used 100 watt "conventional" bulbs. I don't think it's normal for any bulb to burn out after one day, but the package should list the number of hours you can expect. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the fixture wasn't up to handling the wattage? I think mine are rated for 250, but I'm not sure.

I'd definitely return the HD bulb. I know that's wrong *G*.
Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9166866

Thanks, Cat. I had the first bulb in a shop lamp rated for 60watt bulbs so that may be what got the first bulb. For the second bulb, I upgraded to a brooder lamp rated for 300watt so that one is a mystery. I'm not sure if a traditional bulb would be warm enough for this area; at least not when they are really little. We are still getting into the low 50's at night.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America