Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: ASPARAGUS

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pantera
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9159005

I planted a month ago asparagus roots, well now what came up is like bare little green trees with like seeds on them . HELP!!!!

Thank you
pantera
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9159023

I sent 3 pictures none came up with my message about asparagus, so I'm resending the pictures please help this does not look like asparagus.
Thank you

Thumbnail by pantera
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LOVIE2
Boston, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9159168

[quote="pantera"]I sent 3 pictures none came up with my message about asparagus, so I'm resending the pictures please help this does not look like asparagus.
Thank you[/quote]
That IS asparagus after it's allowed to frond out. Leave it be. You don't cute them the first year of planting so next year they will come up SO much bigger and scrumptious. I planted my first asparagus bed last spring. This spring is been good eating!

pantera
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9159183

LOVIE2
THANK YOU,Let me ask you do I or can I replant them next year? or do they stay in the grow thru the winter? I was thinking about making raised beds next year.
Thank you so much
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9159429

If planted and cared for properly, a bed of asparagus can last for 20 to 25 years. The plants will spread as the roots get bigger and your spears will get larger as well. My asparagus bed is 4 years old this year and we had lots of tender, wonderful tasting spears from it. After cutting spears for several weeks, I quit cutting so the spears could grow and produce fronds from which the roots will store energy to grow again next year. In your neck of the woods you may need to mulch your bed for the winter. Down here I just put a light cover of wheat straw. Come early spring next year, I will feed the plants with a good covering of homemade compost and a couple of sacks of mushroom compost or cow manure.
LOVIE2
Boston, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9167140

[quote="pantera"]LOVIE2
THANK YOU,Let me ask you do I or can I replant them next year? or do they stay in the grow thru the winter? I was thinking about making raised beds next year.
Thank you so much[/quote]

Leave them in the ground. They will turn brown - straw colored and you can cute the dead stuff back if you want before it gets really cold. Other than that I did nothing to it and I have been cutting asparagus since late March, early April!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America