Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cacti and Succulents: Echeverias burning

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 16, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cflowr
Davison, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9159524

Help, my Echeveria's are turning brown in full sun. But I thought they were supposed to be in full sun. Did the 1/4 strength Schultz cacti & succulent fertilizer burn them? Please help. It's getting worse by the hour.
cflowr
Davison, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9159535

That must be what it is, i'm going to take them out of the sun.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9159848

Some Echeverias can take lots of sun, but they tend to do better with some protection. Heat and sun is a combination to avoid. The biggest potential for damage comes when you take a plant which is used to low light (for example, indoors) and move it into lots of sun (say a south-facing balcony) without a period of gradual accommodation.

A couple of hours a day should be enough for even sun-tolerant Echeverias this time of year. Bright shade is a better idea while plants are visibly sun-shocked. In all fairness, some plants do just fine and actually look better with stress colors activated (eg. agavoides), so it's not always a danger sign.

Quarter strength fertilizer probably did not burn your plants, but don't feed them any more until they've recovered from this episode. Flush it out next time you water. Summer is not the most active growing season for Echeverias here. Hope some of this helps.
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 10, 2012
11:30 PM

Post #9160019

As usual, I nod my head yes when I read Baja's advice. As another anecdotal report: most of my echeverias do better with dappled sun or a little cover…or setting them near an east-facing wall, so they get shade from noon onwards.
cflowr
Davison, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9160089

Well, that's exactly what I did. They were just put out on the south deck. I put them in the shade. Will try sun again later against the east wall. Thanks for your great advice.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9160666

If your Echeverias have been indoors all this time, I would not give them ANY direct sun for a good 3-4 weeks... need to expose them to natural, outdoor bright light for a while, or sun will fry them to pieces.
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9160681

Once the situation is stabilized, don't lose hope about the burns, especially if the damage seems mostly cosmetic. I've killed echeverias with too much sun, sure; but I've also seen E lilacina (for instance) gradually recover from burns and scorching until it looks 100% better a year later. Sometimes they look sad all summer long but then recover in the fall.
cflowr
Davison, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9160684

Thanks Palmbob, that sounds about right anyway to my inexperienced ears. I grew echeveria lucida a few years ago outside on the deck just fine. I think it was in full sun. It bloomed and grew big. I wish I haddn't given it away. I'm growing it again along with some more plants coming in the mail today , I hope. I'm sooo excited I can't wait. All your pictures and helpful advice in this forum are encouraging. I'll send pictures when I get the plants ready.
cflowr
Davison, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9160690

Oh good, i'm glad they will probably recover. I'm probably not going to pick off any leaves.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

June 11, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9160760

I'd let the plant cycle through its leaves the natural way and they will be renewed.

Don't know if it was one of the affected plants, but I saw E. "Doris Taylor" in your other thread... In my experience that plant does not do well in the sun. Keep it in bright shade or filtered light (or indoors by a sunny windowsill) for best results.

For what it's worth, E. lilacina has been one of the more sun-tolerant plants here. I have one growing and flowering in a few hours of mid-day sun. The glaucous blue/white types seem to handle the exposure better than most. It must be said that we don't experience high temps here, so the sun is a relatively benign cool coastal kind.

My favorite spot for accommodating plants to the sun these days is by a NE-facing wall under an overhang. They get some morning sun but no overhead rays. That is also an ideal location for younger plants or rootless offsets. This time of year there's rarely any morning sun anyway (May-June = morning fog/haze) so it's all diffuse light, which seems to be the best kind.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9161114

My Echeveria Doris Taylor has been in full sun and looking great... but when I went to check on it just know, it appears someone else thought it looked great, too, and took it... I hate my neighbors sometimes (this is about the 20th plant stolen from my yard)
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9161174

Ack! Geoff! I am full of moral outrage on your behalf. That's just damnable. Especially since if a person would merely strike up a conversation, you (or I) could send them home with more than enough cuttings to grace their garden. Theft like that is unacceptable.

In my yard, today I discovered I think birds or squirrels (or maybe over zealous gardener cleanup) made off with one of my Epithelantha sp, I think E bokei. Very strange. I'll have to pick a less exposed spot.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9161631

I planted the front yard with over 100 tulips and daffodils to bring a little color to the overwhelming greenery of the palms and succulents... and though it took about 3 years, the squirrels stole all those as well. The problem with people is they tend to take plants I like, and they take the pots, too
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 14, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9164705

Maybe people think...It's just a plant so taking it is no big deal and he/she has a lot more so they won't miss it. Non-plant freaks have no idea how much effort and attention go into each plant. I gave up putting anything in pots out front, now its all in the back where its safe.
C

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

June 14, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9165424

I would not dare to put a potted plant out in an accessible location if either the pot or the plant was nice. It would disappear within days, maybe hours. There are a few nice front-yard gardens in the 'hood, but they are all fenced in.

The nice thing is that my "front yard" (the public garden across the street) was public from the very beginning, so my expectations about loss have always been low. I try to camouflage things the best I can, but one day an aloe will flower and the wrong pair of eyes will take interest, that's pretty much guaranteed. I can live with that. I just hope that I get to see it first. And that whoever steals it knows how to keep it alive.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9166253

sadly my collection is too large to fit anything anywhere else but the front yard... the closer something is to the actual house structure, the longer it lasts until stolen. The upside of this theft is the collection is finally shrinking instead of growing and so more room is becoming available.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 15, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9166260

That is a very glass half full view. Theft as a way of making room for new plants had not occured to me.
C

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America