Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 10, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9159636

I have a tiny 200 gallon pond and I built a waterfall with rocks. Unfortunately nocturnal animals have upset the balance of the rocks and I am trying to find a way to build a small waterfall that is more stable. I keep seeing these waterfall filters and can't quite see how they are installed. Anyone have a good description or site that shows installation.
Do I need to dig a hole for it?
How do I hide the spill edge?
Cheryl
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9159913

A picture would be helpful, but here is a link that seems helpful.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6019435_build-using-black-pond-foam.html
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 10, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9159951

I appreciate the link but I was looking for how to install one of those filters that has a waterfall edge.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2012
1:37 AM

Post #9160047

Newton

We started out with a pond such as you have described. My husband took to building different types of waterfalls and has done it for all of our ponds. In the first pond, he built a small stack of rocks with the hose from the pump between the rocks to give it a waterfalls effect. The filter part of the pump was in the pond and had to be periodically removed and sprayed off with a hose. You may want to experiment with different styles of rocks stacked to see what appeals to you best. When you find one that you really like, you can foam in the rocks with the exception of perhaps the top rock so you can still remove the hose if need be.

You can find either the black foam at about $18.00 per can in the garden section at lowes or you can use the other foam they have - I think it is in the hardware section at lowes or at walmart for a couple of dollars a can. It is called 'Great Stuff'.

Please post pictures when you are finished. We would love to see.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 11, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9160297

I have built and rebuilt the little water fall and here is what it looks like now. My issue is it is not stable and racoons love to "adjust" it. I want to put in something that is sturdier and can do some bio. filtering as well.

Like this: http://www.ponds2go.com/Cal_Pump_Spillway_p/cal111.htm

But I can't quite figure out how it could be installed in my pond. I need to redo it and perhaps some foam is my best option. A filter in the pond would work but would be a pain to clean.
Cheryl

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9161380

Hi Newton,
I have filterfalls on my old pond. It is the heavy black plastic. 36" spillway. Quite deep so I have a lot of filtration medium down inside of it plus filter mats that I bought and cut to fit. If you don't have enough EPDM liner to pull up under it you can just use the black sticky tape to add a piece to what you have now and pull it up under spillway, wrap around a 3" wide board that goes all the way across under spillway and screw liner to it. Turn board over and screw down thru top of spillway thru board to hold it secure. I put large flat rocks under spillway and cemented them tog. and it works fine. Runs right down into pond with nice sound and looks great. I will see if I can find some pics of when we were bldg. it 4 yrs. ago and send them to you. Didn't use any foam cause didn't know about it and cement has aged now to look just like rock. Got a good 4,000GPH pump and plumbed it up to waterfall form. Cheryl, there isn't enough space here to explain all that we did really. Send me a D-mail with your tel. no. if you want me to call and try to explain fully.
Bonnie

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9161392

Cheryl,
Just went back and checked pic you put on here. This is exactly the same principle as ours is.
You would need a bulkhead fitting put into one side of tank preferably near the bottom to allow water carrying pipe (we used 2" PVC) to fill box and spill over spillway. Pipe is joined to pump to push water into box and over spillway. I hide my spillway with 2 large pots of fern which I can remove easily to clean out all filtration medium. My pump on that pond is located down inside a skimmer which also has filtration medium in it but just 1 mat of it.
I also have a UV clarifer running from its own little pump down inside of pond hidden with plants.
Any questions just call me and I'll try to help. 352-394-4883
Right now we are outside a lot cause I'm digging another pond but you can leave a message and I will return call.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9161672

Newton

You can try a bucket, I am just unsure other than cutting into the bucket how much that will compromise the bucket. You can glue a spill stone onto the bucket after you make the cut so there is a channel for the water. Then build your rocks around the bucket. As Bonnie indicated, you can put something inside the bucket to hep with the filtration - the plastic scrubbies would work fine.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 12, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9161927

Ok Bonnie that makes more sense. I probably need to find a pond store and actually see an instillation for myself. I have a better idea now though and might play around with something to see how it works.
Thanks for the information.
C
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9162807

Hi Newton:
There are so many ways to build a waterfall but when you said filterfalls I immediately thought of the black preformed. They can be buried with just top out of dirt, rocked up if placed on top of ground. Possibilities are endless. Limited only by your imagination.
There are a lot of UTubes about building ponds and waterfalls of various types. While working on our new pond today my son and I must have discussed at least 10 ways to build a waterfall.
This time I am going to try a 31 gal. box from Walmart. If it isn't sturdy enough to stay up straight my husb. suggested we surround it with 2X4's to make it stronger. I am going to cut the front and bend it with heat to make spillway that wil stand out enough to fall over into pond. Can't find bulkhead fittings in big box stores but we have a small hardware store here that has loads of stuff that is unusual. I want a 2" and thats not common. Will provide a large flow going in and coming out. When I start it I will take pics along the way. If it works once hooked up then I'll post pics. No sence in sharing something that doesn't work.
I'll try to find pics of our old pond which is still alive and well.
Bonnie
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 12, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9162813

You are very innovative. How do you seal the area on the box where the tubing will fit? Silicon?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9162843

Ithink its the silicone thats made for sealing acquariums. I've got a tube I think.
A pic is worth 1000 words so I will try to load some.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9162851

I know theres one that shows falls real well.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9162860

Look closely at 3rd pic from left. Hope you get the idea. That was right after we set it into the ground.
You can do it I'm sure especially if you have a pond builder place nearby. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Go for it.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9163797

A pond builder that has ponds built could show them to you and you get the idea. I'm not suggesting hiring one unless you have gold in Fort Knox.
Hope you can get it done yourself.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9181623

Heres one we just hooked up yesterday. Of course it will all have to camoed with something.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 26, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9181657

Thanks Bonnie, that gives me a very clear idea on what I would need to do. Post a pic when everything is settled, thats going to be a lovely pond.
C
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9183091

Will do.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 361 Jun 7, 2014 5:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America