Beautiful flower needs an ID, plus two other new ones

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I have been taking photos of the buds as they grew and then finally this afternoon I knew the one was going to pop open and it did, along with two other plants. I have held off asking for an ID on the first plant until it bloomed. Can any one help? The next post will have the other flowers. Thanks, Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

The first two pics are Notocactus muricatus and the next two are Gymnocalycium denudatum 'Jan Suba'. The Jan Suba was so beautifully white with the naked eye that it felt virginal; I am sorry that the photo couldn't get this purity. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Your first one looks like Notocactus roseoluteus to me.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Yup that sounds right to me, too. I have to say I love the flowers on that species. The almost metallic yellow & rose pink is like a morning aurora. They're not huge; they're not deeply saturated; but they're subtle & luminous.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you both for the information. And amanzed, your description is very accurate. I took some more photos today of the flower and it is just exquisite. Some day,hopefully soon, I will pick out and edit photos of all the new flowers that bloomed over the last few months and some that have yet to open (some of those I think are common ordinary plants but I don't know their names!!, a very typical situation for me since I have about 320 C/S, not counting the ones that died). And now I have a new folder and name tag!! Yea for all the help on DG. Xuling

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Nice pictures xuling. t second picture looks like it's on fire.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is a photo I took after the above response. I like it not only for the flower but also I like the shadow of the flower and bud on the rock. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.