Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Can a jelly recipe be doubled?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 5, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9160109

Can I double a recipe for pepper jelly? I have a basic jalapeno pepper jelly recipe: jalapenos, bell peppers, apple cider vinegar, sugar, liquid pectin. It makes 7-8 cups per recipe. Since I'm starting to sell these at a local farmers market, I'd like to make about double that at one time. I do have pots & a canner that will hold that many half pint jars. I'm just wondering if it would be OK to double the ingredients without any problems.
Jo-Ann

After I posted this, I did a quick goole on "doubling canning recipes" and got a lot of answers. In a word: NO. The best explanation I got was here"

http://www.foodinjars.com/2011/01/canning-101-why-you-shouldnt-double-batches-of-jam/

This message was edited Jun 11, 2012 5:24 AM
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9160169

The general advice is no. From what I've read is that when you double the batch you also increase the cooking time which destroys the pectin. With that said there must be methods or recipes for large batches because jams and jellies are made commercially.

I wrote this and then went back and read what you added which is exactly what I said.

If you're willing to experiment I'd say you'd need to find a shallow pan that fit across two burns so that you have enough heat to cook it as quickly as you would a single batch. I wonder how many batches would be bad before you figured it out.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9202178

This is a late response, but if you use Pomona's Universal Pectin, then you can make any size recipe that you choose. You can also use it for low-sugar or no sugar recipes. I have used it for about 5 years, for all sorts of preserves, jams, and jellies.

David
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9202420

I got my very first batch of Pomona's yesterday, so I am going to give it a try today with some watermelon jelly. I've heard such great things about it that I had to look for it. Couldn't find it anywhere locally, so I ordered some off the web.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9202440

I buy it from Amazon.com. I use it routinely to make 14 half-pint jar batches. That's the number of jars that my boiling water canner will process. I just adjust the amounts suggested on the Pomona packet insert to get the appropriate finished amount. I have never had a problem with the product jelling correctly.

Good luck!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9242176

I haven't used anything but Pomona's Pectin for the last 15 or more years since I first discovered it. I swear it would jell water! There must be at least 15-20 posts by me recommending Pomona's over the last 10+ years here on DG, and I wish I got paid for converts!!

The BIG advantage for me is that it allows me to reduce the amount of sugar. I'm not diabetic but have come to dislike overly sweet preserves/jellies. I want them to taste like the fruit, not like sugar.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 59 Nov 2, 2012 9:35 AM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America