Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Using "dog bones" in the garden...need advice, please

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joylederman
Dover, PA

June 11, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9160181

I buy the huge "mastodon bones" for my two big dogs. Often my backyard looks like an elephant graveyard! Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can use these gnawed bones in the garden once my dogs have finished chewing all the good stuff off of them? I wondered if I can make my own bone meal by running these things through my chipper, but I'm afraid that will dull the blades. Should I somehow treat the bones first (acid? baking at high temps? other?)? Is there a way to dissolve them to free up the Calcium? Should I just bury these under some compost? Or do I just throw these things away? Any advice would be welcome. Thank you!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9160426

Hi Joy. I ran across these links that may be useful to you..

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0117384025879.html

http://greenthumbs.tribe.net/thread/b6b6bd6e-08dd-4acc-8005-ec1540c4de58

If the bones are long enough, you could cut them in half and use them as edging around a compost pile...or make a huge hanging bone chime to keep birds away from the garden...(or maybe not...grin)
joylederman
Dover, PA

June 18, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9170730

Thanks for the links! joyL
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 18, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9170869

A lot of my family were country folks and when we were little, it was not an unusual sight to see farmers / gardeners to bury dead animals in the garden, allotments, veg beds etc (deep burrials) this added blood / bone to the soil as the dead body de-composed, today we buy this already dried and sold in packets for our use as a feed, / soil improver, and as it is a slow release improvement I cant see any problem for you to burry the bones as you get them after the dogs have had pleasure from them.
They will take several years to fully compost down but, you wont be digging them up every week to see if they are still OK and the plants will still take the calcium, bone etc from them as they do slowly break up.

I am a believer in waste nothing that is a natural substance, it.s tha man made stuff we have to try get rid off.
Good luck, WeeNel.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9171285

You are welcome, hope they are of use to you.
sengeland04
Fisher Island, FL

June 22, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9175926

Thanks for this Info.

[url=http://learnlandscape.com/10-tips-for-backyard-landscaping-with-dogs]Backyard Landscaping with Dogs[/url]

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 1:53 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America