Photo by Melody

Article: Buying annual plants (and other stuff) on eBay -- is it a good idea?: Selling on ebay

Communities > Forums > Article: Buying annual plants (and other stuff) on eBay -- is it a good idea?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Buying annual plants (and other stuff) on eBay -- is it a good idea?Replies: 6, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tarynlyn
Pompano Beach, FL

June 11, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9160491

I'm one of those "poor people who buy undervalued purses at yard sales" - Don't have anyone to send to college but I make about 3500 a month. I'm a top-rated seller - work at home - and have lot's of time to play in my garden. Just sayin.
smartseeds
Claremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9160803

Ebay is a great place to find uncommon plants you could never get locally, but it's essential to buy from the few vendors who specialize in shipping live plants. If you've traded plants before, you know how much care it takes to pack them properly and how careful you have to be about them getting too hot or too cold. I've filled out my salvia and vine collections buying a few starts at a time from a seller on the other side of the country, and he always delivers a great product. I also sell a couple of species occasionally that are otherwise impossible to find, just to save gardeners a year of waiting for seeds to develop, but wrapping them properly is such a pain that I sure don't do it for the money.

Go the the vendors who specialize in selling rooted plants (high feedback, well-researched descriptions) and pay the price. You'll get great things you can't find anywhere else and they'll have a good year's growth on them (as well as being packed so they can't move and won't fry). You'll get as good a product as you would from Jackson & Perkins or White Flower Farm. Avoid amateurs, because there's just too much to learn about keeping foliage alive in the hostile environment of the belly of an airplane.

I think I'd skip annuals and liners - anything you could raise from seed. Shipping is astronomical these days, and plants without a developed root system and sufficient soil to keep them alive for several days are in greater danger than they are on the sidewalk at Home Depot in July. Ebay is a great place to find plants you can't get anywhere else. It's not a good place to buy something common or fragile. Seeds are cheap and your own seedlings don't have to have a passport.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9161078

Great summary, smartseeds! Shipping is getting to be a bigger and bigger part of the equation, isn't it? Wonderful comment, thanks.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9161122

Now, taralynn, I didn't say "poor people," I said "folks planning to put their child through college" by selling stuff they bought at yard sales on eBay. I have 2 kids in college at the moment. We had a yard sale once, and made $75 (and DH said he would have paid me $75 NOT to have it). Clearly, I would be a complete and utter disaster as an eBay seller.

Obviously, it's working pretty well for you and the other DG friends who earn money that way. I work from home too, but I sure don't make 3500 a month! Congratulations to you and your success. Thanks for writing.
DesertRattess
Phelan, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9163896

I didn't care for the "poor people who buy undervalued purses at yard sales" comment either. I don't sell on eBay, but if I could get it together, I would. No one should look down their nose at people with entrepreneurial spirit.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9165058

Just to clarify, the original statement was not "poor people who ..." if you go to the article and re read. The comment was meant to acknowledge that Ebay selling doesn't always work out succesfully for the seller.

I do not see anything here that looks down on enterpreneurial people.
DesertRattess
Phelan, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9172100

"Then there are the sad cases of folks planning to put their child through college by buying undervalued designer purses at yard sales and reselling them on eBay."

Sorry, but I find that offensive. In fact, most of that introductory paragraph is offensive. And snobbish.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Buying annual plants (and other stuff) on eBay -- is it a good idea? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
eBay Treasure Trove killdawabbit 5 Jun 30, 2011 4:22 PM
Pretty easy to check out eBay sellers nutsaboutnature 7 Jun 10, 2012 10:29 AM
Never bought annuls on-line sweetlilylin 1 Jun 11, 2012 7:18 AM
e-Bay plants ggrayhabig 3 Aug 6, 2012 5:49 PM
Selling on e-Bay - Years ago babypalms 1 Jun 11, 2012 3:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America