Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Are you first-aid ready for the summer?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 47, Views: 346
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9160670

There are a total of 80 votes:

My tetanus shot is up to date and my first-aid kit is well-stocked.
(24 votes, 30%)
Red dot

I keep an epi-pen with me for bee and wasp stings.
(3 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I stock up on poison ivy remedies for the summer.
(1 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Ummm...tetanus booster? You mean I need a booster? (yikes!)
(14 votes, 17%)
Red dot

I keep a well-stocked first-aid kit regardless of the season.
(23 votes, 28%)
Red dot

I try to rely on natural remedies for most of my cuts, scrapes and bites.
(11 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(4 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Regality
Concord, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9160737

#s 1, 2 and 4, though #2 is actually for my SO.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9160788

#1. I have a first aid kit in my greenhouse. Luckily, I haven't had to use it often.
Barb

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9160953

Always stocked and up-to-date on everything.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9160957

a gallon of vinegar is always number one on my list for any kind of sting or bite (i.e. fire ants)...but i do have "store bought" items as well.
included in any first aid kit should be a wide brimmed hat and sunblock. skin cancer is no fun.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9161290

First aid kits scattered about but for skeeter bites I rely on corteaid and bee stings I make a mixture of baking soda and water and also ice it down.

McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9161292

Poison ivy is rampant around here (the birds plant more every year, ... sigh), but so is jewel weed, a natural defense against it. Despite the number of bumble bees and wasps in my garden, I don't get stung very often and found a fresh cut lemon a great antidote when it does happen -- takes the pain and swelling out immediately!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 11, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9161366

I was holding my horse to get it feet trimmed.
When it jerked back the reins and impaled my hand on the hook of the chin chain. It ripped the skin back and took 10 stitches.
Since my husband reacted to his tetanus shot and now has an aquired mitochondia disease.
Since my daughter and son both had adverse reactions to their DPT shot
Since I have a thyroid problem because my immune system has attacked it
I refused.

The Doc then told me the strangest thing..
That what they call the tetanus shot was really not just a tetanus shot it contain the pertusis (whooping cough which is what my two kids reacted to and diptheria)

I came so close to letting my son have a tetanus shot at age 14 - he had a stroke within hours on his third DPT shot!! That is kind of sneaky and not right - don't you think.

They cleaned my hand out really good, and let it bleed a lot and then gave me an antibiotic shot in the hip - I have not had one of those in years.
I came out okay.
Regality
Concord, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9161386

This message was edited Jun 11, 2012 7:36 PM

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9161579

Liquidambar2, I have had a "destroyed thyroid" also. ---- I cut my foot deeply by a piece of dirty old glass from outdoors. I got a Tetanus shot in the year 2008, I did not die from it or have a stroke or anything else nasty happen from it. I'm still feeling as healthy now in the year 2012 as I did in the year 2008 when I got that tetanus shot.

Sorry to hear what you and your family went through, and hope you all are doing better these days.

P.S. --- I keep 'Benadryl Liquid' for bites to put on my skin. And for more serious allergies or bites,...I swallow 'Benadryl Tabs' to help take the allergy and sneezing away. For cuts, I wipe alcohol on them.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2012 11:28 PM

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9161738

I broke my right pinky toe in the garden a few days ago when I bumped it against a brick. Nothing can be done about that booboo. I also scrapped my right leg on a wooden stake. Good thing that I'm a lefty. lol
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 12, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9161868

Loveforest;
I think that ever vaccine you have counts toward inflaming your immune system and can be passed on to your children.
I did have a tetanus shot at age 21 and right after that had my first ever yeast infection.
I had also had one swine flu vaccine a year earlier (three in the series) - it was causing a syndrome that was paralazing people and so they withdrew the vaccine from the market, and the big bad swine flu that they claimed said was comining did not occur..

My husband had more than the average boosters of tetantus shots during his teen years and a extra tick vaccine because he worked for the forest service. When he was 28 - they were giving free tetanus shots at work he took it, went home and seized all night long.

I am also glad that your foot has healed from the deep glass - and sorry for your pain.

I had another tetanus shot around age 30 and I think (for reasons that I cannot go into in this short blog) that it took 10 slow years to destroy my thyroid.

I have no objection that you had a tetanus shot and three or four years later you feel fine. I rejoice and hope it continues.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2012 8:39 AM
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9161913

Tweezers, tweezers, tweezers, tweezers. For the rose thorns and other splinters.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9162178

Along with the tweezers... and a magnifying glass! First aid kits should come with those...LOL!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9162450

Um,
I'd just about made up my mind to go get a tetanus "booster" since I'm always nicking and injuring myself in the yard, and, now, the woodshop.

So, what ya'll are saying here is that the tetanus shot can destroy thyroid systems, cause seizures, and trigger other nasty side-effects that no one told us about before?

Wow...

Thanks for this thread!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9162553

I have always gotten them with no problem.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 12, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9162602

Sheila;
I am very happy for you too. and I hope your luck continues.
I just wish we did not have to depend on luck.
The CDC have decreased the time between boosters from 10 years - to 6 years and now it is 3 years because people were still getting tetanus. . .
I know the fear of not getting a tetanus shot --- the doc told me that he would make sure that he gave only the tetanus shot without the P and the D - they have them down in the basement or in a vault somewhere.
I still refused (not that I wasn't uneasy about tetanus - for I was - it was a horse afterall - in a barn near his clostidium filled mouth with horse saliva bursting with more clostidium spores).
But
I feel my back is against the wall here. I am the only one of six people in my family that depend on me - me to drive, to cook, to clean, to get food, to take them to useless doctors that know little about the immune system. Two others are my elderly parents of 86 that have never had a sick day of their life, still live on their own, but feeble from age and do need my care.
The stupid horse was a charity case - foundered and not for me would be on it's way to Canada to become horse meat for ???? dogs? Asians? a fancy/unsual dinner in New York???
So I refused that shot too.
The doctor wrote on my papers - tetanus vaccine refused - the risk outweighs the benifits.

Why have there been so little research on who will react and why - or causes silent inflammatory diseases to the point we have to gamble.
I won't pay five dollars for a chance on a billion dollar lottery ticket - why do I have to gamble with my health?

Plus, I had a school nurse on my case really bad about giving my son (the stroke) a tetanus shot - I had no idea it had the P in it too -- it is like she was out to kill him????

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9162792

Liquidambar... I definately understand your situation and problem with them...if I had known that first hand like you, I would not get it either. I will ask more questions the next time I consider having one.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9162806

My Polish great grandmother swore on vinegar for just about any ache or pain - so that is generally my first line of defense. She also gave us something called Giesecki's Green Drops - very strong dark green methol concoction, a few drops on a sugar cube - which also was a cure-all. Gawd only knows what was in that mix!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9163170

Hi guys, Had to add that doctors also don't tell you "If you got tetinus in this (now) wound. The shot won't touch it, only the next time." I saw a case of lockjaw once.(No he did'nt survive)
Vickie
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

June 13, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9163419

Soil is teeming with micro organisms. Every time we plant or weed or compost or engage in any gardenign activity or immune system is engaged. Public health systems have reccommended vaccinations for more than a hundred years.

The current uptick in whooping cough correlates with the refusal of parents to vaccinate. There has been at least one infant death from the disease.

As an old man I remember having the whooping cough. It wasn't fun. I also remember the fear when the boy across the street died from diptheria. I remember the summer fears of polio and my cousin who even yet walks crookedly from having it.

As for me I will keep my tetanus vaccination up to date as I have for the last umpty ump years. I have had my shingles vaccination which was highly reccomemded to me by a friend of mine who had shingles.

I believe in modern medicine. I
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 13, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9163440

Cando1;
I am glad that you have thought on this.
Sorry that you had to witness lockjaw - it is a bad thing. I remember back in the 80's they were telling us that they were using a new treatment for lockjaw since it seemed to be occurring in spite of vaccinations.. Since the toxin causes the muscles to tighten - they used something that makes the muscle relax - the same stuff that South American frogs produces and the natives of South America rub on their darts.

I am not sure that the (now wound) thing is right - -my understanding of it is that after a puncture wound - that you have several weeks - That is what the doc said when I had to go to him to get my son exempt and get the school nurse off my back. The bacteria will slowly grow because it is not able to use oxygen for it's energy cycle which is plentiful in the body, and it is not a natural pathogen, but a soil bacteria. After several weeks growth it does start to produce gas and toxins as it's by products.
Clostidium does not eat on people like strep and mono but it's by products is what does us in.
It poisons us.

The tetanus vaccine does not contain a piece of weakened or dead clostidium, but contains the toxin itself.

I suppose it could work like those guys in India that plays around with cobras - taking a little bit at a time and building up immunity.
But we don't know for sure because:
To make sure that the immune system pays attention to this toxin (and to make the vaccine as cheap as they can make it ) they hook on to it alumiunium (adjvant)---- and I am not sure that it is not the aluminium that has by passed the GI track that might be a big part of the problem of inflamming the immune system.

The pertusis might work the same way since it too is a toxin that kills us. If a pertusiss vaccine is sloppily done and a enough of the pertusis endotoxin gets in - it will kill 100 percent of the time.
It too has a large amount of aluminium.

It is good that any cut - espcially - a puncture wound should be made to bleed, even sqeezing it to make it do so; and if it is a bad one and a deep one - I think they should slice it open and clean it out. . A good shot of antibiotic would be helpful too.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 13, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9163498

time in a bottle:
I witnessed my son have a stroke, my husband have seizures, my daughter have Kawasakis.
I have witnessed my son struggle to relearn to walk and when he did he had a wide gait. I have witness my son want to ride a tricycle so bad -that he would give helpless, little snuffing sobs as his sister peddled hers. I have had to witness my son break his nose from a fall from a seizure at age 17---- I have seen my duaghter and my husband suffer -- and it is a long drawn out deal.

Does not their pain, or my pain count any in your book?

Yes, I have a second cousin that walks with a limp from polio and Mitch McConnel our beloved Congressman had Polio too..
And it was bad, they have a good vaccine - and as the consumer we need to make sure manufatures are held accountable and that they continue to make a good and safe product.
Polio, is bad; but so is a a vaccine reaction!

And it is time that we stop worshiping anything other than God and know that modern medicine is made by man.

You also said:
"The current uptick in whooping cough correlates with the refusal of parents to vaccinate. There has been at least one infant death from the disease."

If you look at the facts of the recent out breaks in California (whooping cough), and in Lexington a few years ago-- all had been vaccinated.

My best friend's grandchild was in the same preschool room with one that came down with whooping cough, and they gave the whole pre-school class antibiotics for two weeks, even though they were vaccinated. Hmmmmmm what could that mean?

Maybe the answer lies with a researcher in the Netherlands - the current whooping cough vaccine does not have this strain.

And one more thing about whooping cough epidemics:

Infants are esp hard hit with this disease - if they are older and get it ; it is not as hard on them and antibiotics can take care of it.
But newborn infants cannot take the vaccine.

Young infants are suppose to be safe untill they are old enough to get the vaccine because mothers are suppose to pass on their immunity for a few months at least to their infants. Same with rubella. Sometimes a mother does not???? Research has shown that vaccinated mothers are less able to pass on their immunity to rubella and whooping cough to their newborns.

As a young girl by the way - My cousin and I had whooping cough as well as been fully vaccinated.

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

June 13, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9163648

Actually the outbreak of whopping cough two years ago in Lexington and Northern Ky was attributed to a decrease in whooping cough vaccinations.

Since you had Whooping cough when younger, you may remember the ropy phlegm gagging you and the violent coughing ( which in some cases is violent enough to break sufferers ribs). Perhaps you remember the quarantine signs on the doors as that was the only preventative measure available. You may not have witnessed neighbor avoiding neighbor for fear that the diptheria across the street might be carried by them.

Thankfully, that pain is preventable with vaccinations.

I
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 13, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9163744

Time in the bottle;
You said: "Actually the outbreak of whopping cough two years ago in Lexington and Northern Ky was attributed to a decrease in whooping cough vaccinations"

Is what they said on the Noon day news.
But vaccinations rates have remainded very steady.

By the way as you describe the horrors of past diseases.
Thank you for your kindness and concern for my own family's plight, and not ignoring what I said..
Autism is 10 more times mor common today than the polio epidemic at the height of that epidemic.

Did you pay one bit of attention to me saying my child had to learn to walk again?
He cannot kick a ball.
It ruined his fine motor skills.
It damaged his language skills.

When you talk about phelgm - ever been around a child with asthma because Canadian study said that if you delaid vaccination - the rate of asthma fell in half.

The whooping cough for my cousin and I passed. Does asthma?

We are not lead at this time by the most intellegent or compassionate people at the CDCor NIH, but they serve for a little while at the CDC , NIH and then go over and work at a big pharma industry.

And as you go over to read WIKI about whooping cough and breaking a rib
Look up Kawasais.
Look at the pictures of Kawaskais.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2012 2:39 PM
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 13, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9163835

I am not good at math.
so I might have messed up on autism being 10 times more prevelant than polio
I found this.
At the height of the polio epidemic in 1952, nearly 60,000 cases with more than 3,000 deaths were reported in the United States alone. - I am unsrue if that was total or just the severe, debilitating form called paralytic polio (this occurs in 0.1%-2% of cases of polio).

we were discussing tetanus and how it is really a DPT shot or DTaP and pertussis has a long history of being a very bad vaccine. I just don't think it is right to sneak it in to a vaccine without informing at victim - I mean patient.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

June 13, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9163907

I am sorry that there is so much pain and suffering in your family. My concern , however ; is for those who are following this discussion . If they avoid vaccinations they are putting themselves and others at risk.

Now lets consider something we agree on. There was an outbreak of whooping cough in Northern Ky a couple of years ago.

If as you say whooping cough vaccine doesn't work then that disease would have spread across the country. It didn't. The reason obviously is that the others who were vaccinated did not contract the disease and did not pass it on to others

In your writings you have blamed vaccinations for seizures , strokes , autism , asthma, thyroid disease etc.

You know you can find anything on the web.

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9163975

All diseases carry risk. All vaccinations carry risk. I think each person must research for him/herself and decide if the risk outweighs the good. This may well be a different answer for each person, depending on family history and/or personal health issues. I was quite torn when my children were required to be immunized for common childhood diseases I had contracted and survived with no lasting effects. It was not an easy call.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 13, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9164037

Timebottle;
Thank you again for your kindness.
I did not find it on the web, I found it in my house.

Why did they give every child in the Lexington preschool class antibiotics; even though they were vaccinated?

Bonehead;
It is a darn tough call, for parents and I am sorry.
You are on your own. I hate to say this but your child's ped is not your friend.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2012 6:20 PM
rollingrob09
ovid, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9164638

I'm just plain silly and have no first aid kit. I do use sunscreen and a hat, and if you want to call hydrogen peroxide and some band aids a firat aid kit, well I guess I have one. Really should get one though. On the whole vaccine issue, smallpox vaccine is extremely effective, as are a whole range of others. Yes some people suffer ill affects, but the prevalence of disease before vaccines was not wholly due to poorer diet, cleanliness etc. The reason additional medication are administered after an outbreak of disease to those already vaccinated is about insurance. For example, if you fell and hit your head hard enough to pass out and the n woke up on the way to the hospital you would not stop the ambulance and get off. No its just wise to be safer than not.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 8:38 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9164709

A DGer friend of mine put it into perspective for me yesterday, and I've decided not to get a tetanus shot. Not because of anything in it that I might have a bad reaction to, but because the conditions under which I currently garden are more in favor of me NOT getting lockjaw or some deadly infection.

►I don't have rusty nails or pipes or other such implements to step on
►No rusty, jagged metal pieces I can brush against in the garage
►I wear gardening gloves at all times (hate it, but I do...)
►My mama taught me to bleed it out, wash it out, pour some Hydrogen Peroxide on it, use clean bandages, and keep an eye on it...If it starts looking "hot," get to the ER.
►Even if I do puncture or cut myself severely, Houston has one of the finest medical centers in the world just minutes away from me. I trust they know what to do.
►I have an Emergency App on my cellphone that will send the Calvary to me, if I'm severely hurt

So, I'll hedge my bets with some antiobiotic bandaides, Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic, H2O2, a good set of eyes, and some plain 'ole common sense.

Thanks for such a spirited discussion!

P.S. There's another use for those Velco tomato/plant tapes, too!

Hugs!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 9:43 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9164712

I personally a marking this as "unwatched"...

I hope admins will close it to future comments, as it seems to be getting way off topic with posts leaning toward argument of personal values and beliefs.

Happy Gardening everyone...and be safe out there!

Cross-posted Gymgirl...funny bandaid!!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 8:47 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9164721

I'd like to agree to "disagree," agreeably.

►Yes, some personal values and beliefs were expressed here.

►Yes, the discussion got rather spirited

►Yes, the discussion tilted largely toward the benefits/proponents? of Tetanus/Diptheria inoculations as measures against injuries/illnesses

►Yes, it even got a bit uncomfortable and "testy," only because of the passion with which individuals have expressed their personal values and beliefs

►No, this thread shouldn't be closed down because some individuals cannot handle other peoples' passionate expressions of their personal values and beliefs

►Yes, everyone discomforted has the option to "opt out" of the discussion, or "unwatch" anything discomforting to themselves

►Yes, the other's who can handle the spirited discussions should be given the opportunity to continue the discussion in a civil manner, when things calm down, as they seem to have done here...

►Yes, to those who toughed it out, because I learned a WHOLE lot that I didn't know before, and now have enough information to make an informed decision.

►"Thanks" to those who have shared
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9164752

I'll just say this here, because it has to do with someone's mention of fire ants. I am SO thankful that (so far) there aren't any fire ants where I moved in southern Illinois. Having spent most of my life in and around the Memphis area, I am well aware what fire ants can do, and I am blessed living a little north of that now. Keeping something on-hand for fire ant bites is like keeping toothpaste or toilet paper...you just have to have it around.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9164795

I agree with GymGirl. I mentioned one time to my son how much I enjoyed spirited discussions on DG because they generally always stay civilized even when becoming heated. He looked at my oddly and replied, "Well, they're all gardeners aren't they?" which I took as a high compliment.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9164800

From this tweezers gal---this thread has provided this housewife with some interesting spice in life. I also happen to be a retired physician, so you probably can guess where my opinion lies. I remember my sweet, but extremely stoic Finnish grandfather crying when he told me that he had to watch his younger brother die literally of suffocation from diphtheria right in front of him when he was a young child. It is a memory that stays with me.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 14, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9164923

Rolling Rob;
There is research - good research that shows there is another strain of whooping cough out there.
I just don't like the medical community when we have such an outbreak to point fingers at those few that have for their own reasons not vaccinated . I don't like the medical community trying to give more boosters to everyone because it is a rough vaccine - and even though it has changed - it still is a rough vaccines. I don't like the medical community telling them they are getting a tetanus shot and it is really more than that.

Bone head: We are all gardeners and as such we like to see grow and thrive - I have seen heated discussions on adding coffee grounds to strawberries - it is the way we are.

Sheila: Even though you won't be reading this - I am sorry you are upset. I too have been and am upset over things.

Gymgirl; Thank you for your kindness, that is the way I see things too. Good idea for binding up a finger and I hope it gets better.

Kosk:
That was the past generation although it was terrible and I am sorry for your uncle.
Past stories are of tragedy and heroics too.
As in the 1000 mile journey by Eskimo dogs in the worse snow storm of all time to bring medcine to children with diptheria.

The stories that will come out that has been happening for the last 40 years will be more like:
"The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson.

Only it will be a lot more than one of 300.

Flowergirl; Fire Ants is a good reason to move north.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 1:05 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9164973

Never have met a fire ant I didn't like - cause I NEVER have met one! And, hope I never do!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9165418

I alway keep in stock first-aid kit in van and home also I has tetanus shot (every 10 yrs.) if I get cut or step on nail!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 7:39 PM
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9165457

I voted #5, but our tetanus shots are up to date also. Luciee {;^)
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

June 14, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9165595

I almost got a tetanus shot when I slipped and my shoe came off and heal of my foot landed down on the prong of a rake. I can't remember how rusty it was- dirty for sure. It was a deep puncture . I went to the doc and they said no tetanus vaccine required- which leads me to question, if there was a possibility that I'd gotten tetanus, but it hadn't grown to visible degree, and the doctor sent me home anyways, what does that say about them? Of course- I'm not a doctor and cannot read all illness the way they can. And if I question that if I had contracted tetanus, and it's true that it cannot be vaccinated once contracted, what's the point? I don't believe in modern medicine at all personally. Or doctors for that matter. They know how to read an illness, and how to MEDICATE it. Not how to truly treat it. The issue lies in the practice of simply throwing a drug at an illness. Despite it's negative side effects. And it's the only choice that the lesser informed have, and it's what's promoted by our government and the officials we put trust into. I haven't had many personal negative experiences with medication. But it doesn't take much for me to avoid something that clearly isn't good for me. Just listening to the warnings on commercials for drugs, which are required by the way, is enough reason for me. Just the same reason for why I don't eat fast food, don't drink soda when I have a choice, try not to eat packaged food (which causes many of the illness we're treating), use hygiene and beauty products that are organic or at least don't contain sulfates and parabens, along with many many other things. It's just stupid to do something that is proven to harm you and most likely will harm you in one way or another- forget about whether the government says it does or not. What is "harm" to them? Is there a definition? No, it means whatever you assume it means and makes you feel safe. Sorry but it doesn't just take for something causing me to drop dead instantly to make me avoid it. Harm is harm in any degree. Is there a risk in gardening and being outdoors? Yes, but it's not a drug, that you're intentionally introducing to yourself a full list of side effects in varying levels of severity and certainty to happen. Taking drugs is more than a risk than gardening, where you can use protective measures. There is no protective measure with drugs, you take it and then you find out the hard way. Medicine, along with many other modern ideas, is far from as accurate a science as some of the older ones. I would rather not find that out the hard way. I'll stick with tried and true natural methods.

Sorry for the rant btw, it's the most I've ever said on DG, but had to add my two cents.

Also, I like arguments, unless they become hostile, violent, or personally insulting, they are a learning experience and providing for the growth of a person is never a bad thing.

Amanda
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9166886

Amanda, I can't argue with you as I agree for the most part in what you say. You are aware maybe that some years ago the CDC rated the worlds healthcare systems and the US came in dead last in the Industrial countrys.Cuba was right below us. (I can't see there has even been an attempt to do better.)And yet we pay more for health care than any country in the world.One reason why people are going to India and Mexico for health care. Wish I was good at organizing so I could help change things.
Vickie
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 16, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9167330

Home » World News » Americas » North America » United States PrintLeafletFeedbackShare »
FacebookTwitterDiggRedditDeliciousStumbleUponBloggerE-Mail.
US infant mortality rate now worse than 28 other countries
By Patrick O’Connor
18 October 2008
A report issued Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) documents how the infant mortality rate in the United States is growing in relation to other countries. The study, "Recent Trends in Infant Mortality in the United States," found that at least 28 other countries now have lower death rates for infants in the first year of life.

The US's relative position has declined steadily. In 1960, it had the 12th lowest infant mortality rate, but by 1990 had dropped to 23rd place, and by 2004—the latest year of the CDC's comparative world figures on living standards—the US ranked 29th. The most recent study, published in July and titled "The Measure of America," estimated that the US is now in 34th place.

(((((((({{{{{{{{ 34th place}}}}}}}}})))))))))

This message was edited Jun 16, 2012 8:29 AM
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 16, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9167341

Also since I spend a lot of time in the doc's office;
The MD magazine had an article on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
It said that a new study indicates that ADHD is (ALWAYS) associated with other mental problems. That is horrible news.
According to the CDC this too has increased;
Data & Statistics

In the United States

•The American Psychiatric Association states in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR) that 3%-7% of school-aged children have ADHD1. However, studies have estimated higher rates in community samples.

•Recent data from surveys of parents indicate that:
[Read article]

◦Parents report that approximately 9.5% or 5.4 million children 4-17 years of age have ever been diagnosed with ADHD, as of 2007.

◦The percentage of children with a parent-reported ADHD diagnosis increased by 22% between 2003 and 2007.

◦Rates of ADHD diagnosis increased an average of 3% per year from 1997 to 2006 [Read article ] and an average of 5.5% per year from 2003 to 2007.

◦Boys (13.2%) were more likely than girls (5.6%) to have ever been diagnosed with ADHD.

◦Rates of ADHD diagnosis increased at a greater rate among older teens as compared to younger children.

◦The highest rates of parent-reported ADHD diagnosis were noted among children covered by Medicaid and multiracial children.

◦Prevalence of parent-reported ADHD diagnosis varied substantially by state, from a low of 5.6% in Nevada to a high of 15.6% in North Carolina.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9167626

I'm with timeinabottle and got my Dtap shot.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 16, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9167675

pirl;
I was going to warn you to know the signs, but then the signs are so varied since it involves both the ( immune system and the metabolism); that it is very hard to predict where it will strike in each indivdual.

Even the time periods are uncertian. The reactions in my family even varied. An hour, six hours, 7 weeks, three weeks-- and then the question is after the reaction will you get better ??? That was our question and the answer for my husband is - he is only getting worse over the years. He now has Peripheral neuropathy and neruomuscle disesase. ---- his muscles are wasting away and he was considered a muscle man. -----Then there are those reactions that are a very slow simmer and can take years.

Besides there is not much that can be done once there is a reaction so no need to know the signs at all; what is the point.

If you have a reaction though: There is always vaccine court - but you have only three years from the very first sign of symptoms (very first sign) to apply. You are sueing the federal government that have the best lawyers in the world, and they will go all out to win. You are not going in front of a jury of your peers, but one person called a special masters that the federal government is paying to decide your case.

But don't worry - it will probably come out okay for you anyway.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9167788

My mother raised me not to worry and I don't. A friend's husband had a tooth removed by a dental surgeon, got an infection that paralyzed his entire right side and the case will end up in court. After two years he is no better and can't work. That won't stop me from dental work. Freak things do happen.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9168020

I have an epi pen because I'm allergic to honey bees, so I've learned the times of days to be out when they are less active. I wear gloves to help, which I hate, but it gives a 1st step defense.

Jan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America