Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Recipes: Baked goods with non-traditional ingredients

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 21, Views: 203
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9160688

Anyone cooked bake goods with non-traditional items? I came across a cake that is made with black beans and am not sure what it will be like. DMIL make a cake and truffle balls last week with avocado and chocolate as part of the ingredient list.

Here is the black bean cake recipe. What do you think?

http://chocolateandcarrots.com/2011/02/secret-ingredient-cho...
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2012
2:25 AM

Post #9163165

How about a bread recipe? I make this at least once a month, moist and flavorful.
Cottage Cheese Dill Bread
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours 15 Minutes
Serves: 12
Ingredients
• 1 package active dry yeast
• 1/4 cup warm water
• 1 cup Daisy Brand Cottage Cheese
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
• 2 tablespoons minced onion
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon butter, softened
• 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon dill seed
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
Directions
Soften the yeast in the warm water and set aside. Heat the cottage cheese to lukewarm in a large bowl in the microwave. Stir in the dill, onion, sugar, butter, salt, dill seed and baking soda. Stir in the yeast mixture and 1 cup of all purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour to form soft dough. Knead in the remaining flour on well-floured board, adding more all purpose flour if necessary. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray. Let the dough rise until doubled in size (about an hour). Stir down the dough and turn it into well-greased loaf pan. Let the dough rise again for 30 minutes in a warm place. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is a deep golden brown color and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Brush with additional butter and sprinkle with salt, if desired.
The flavor really pops when it is toasted!
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9163845

I don't have the recipe with me, but some years ago I made brownies a few times using tofu. Even my picky husband liked them.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9163952

My MIL who was a truly great cook, was always searching for the perfect chocolate cake recipe one of which contained chopped sauerkraut. I don't remember any of them being strange tasting so it must have been fine.
gabriell
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9164073

I don't have a recipe,years ago I made a cake that called for a can of tomato soup. I had to make it . Just had to try it.Can't remembermuch, I know we ate it but didn't make it again.
MShaffer736
Loganville, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9164080

Susan, the black bean cake would be very good, I think. Sometime back I made brownies with black beans and they were delicious and very moist. However that recipe also used a small amount of whole wheat pastry flour. I printed out your recipe for the black bean cake, but won't go to the trouble of making the peanut butter frosting and ganache. I'll just try the cake.

Martha
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9164346

Thanks for the recipes.

A cake recipe with sauerkraut would be different.

King Authur Flour has a couple of recipes calling for tomato products like soup or juice. We've made the Spicy Cake-Pan Cake and really liked it.

http://search.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/search.jsp?rt=r&Ntt=tomato%20cake&N=0&

Interesting enough they also have somethings made with sauerkraut including a chocolate macaroon cake. Never heard of sauerkraut being used in a cake but then it is a vegetable only fermented. ehttp://search.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/search.jsp?Nty=1&rt=r&N=1000014&Ntt=sauerkraut

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9165423

Wunne Wunnonkou Nishnoh (Good Evening Everyone),

Here are a few recipes, that use a few nontraditional ingredients.

Pumpkin-Hickory Cakes
2 cups fine Cornmeal
1 cup Potato flour
1½ cups stewed or steamed Pumpkin meat, beaten smooth
3/4 cup Hickory nuts, roasted, shelled and chopped
1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix together the cornmeal and potato flour in a large bowl. Gradually add the remaining ingredients to the flours, blending thoroughly into a smooth batter. Pour into a well-greased 9" x 5" loaf pan and bake for 1¼ hours or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. You can also spoon the batter into greased muffin tins and bake until golden on top, about 25 minutes.

Beechnut Pie
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup nutmeal
3 eggs, beaten til frothy
1 cup beechnut butter, softened
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup maple sugar
1 cup roasted beechnut meats

Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare pie shell by blending cornmeal and nutmeal; press evenly into greased pie plate.
Cream together eggs and beechnut butter, gradually add corn syrup and maple sugar. Turn into prepared pie shell and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cover the top evenly with beechnut meats. Return pie to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes.

The recipe can be adapted to any nut. Example: Black Walnut Pie, substitute 1 cup dark corn syrup.

Beechnut Currant Cakes
1 tbsp wood ashes
2 cups boiling water
1 cup dried currants
1 cup beechnut meats, roasted and chopped
3 cups fine cornmeal
1 cup beechnut flour
1 cup maple sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp nut butter

Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir wood ashes into boiling water and pour over currants. Let stand for 15 minutes to cool. Mix together remaining ingredients, blend in currants and water. Spread into into a greased 9x9x5-inch pan and bake for 45 minutes. Cool slightly and cut into 12 squares.

Huckleberry Bread
1 cup flour
1 cup Cattail pollen
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 cups huckleberries (blueberries can be substituted)
1 egg
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease loaf pan; set aside. Sprinkle flour on berries to prevent them from going to the bottom.
Cream eggs, butter, and sugar together; add flour, milk, and vanilla. Add berries to mixture.
Pour into baking pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until done.

Violet blossom-Zucchini Bread
3 eggs, beat until fluffy
1/3 cup Sunflower or Nut Oil
2 1/2 cups Natural Tree Sugar*
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons vanilla
2 cups grated, peeled Zucchini Squash
2⅓ cups flour**
1/3 cup Potato flour
1/3 cup Cattail pollen**
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Coltsfoot ash or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup Violet blossoms, rinsed and air dried

1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
2) Stir together eggs, sugar, oil, sour cream and Zucchini.
3) Sift flour, soda, ash/salt, cinnamon and baking powder; add to mixture. Stir in vanilla, nuts and Violet blossoms.
4) Bake for 1 hour and let cool.

*Natural Tree Sugar can be made, in the same way as Maple sugar, from Black/Cherry/Sweet Birch, Yellow Birch, and White Birch sap.
**Only if using Cattail pollen in recipe, otherwise use 2⅔ cups flour.

Wild Strawberry Bread
1 cup fine cornmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup Cattail((Typha latifolia)) pollen
1 cup nut milk or water
2 tbsp nut oil
1egg, beaten
1/2 cup Strawberry leaves, finely cut
1 tsp coltsfoot(Tussilago farfara) ashes
1 cup Wild Strawberries(Fragaria vesca)

Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine the cornmeal, flour and cattail pollen in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together nut milk or water, nut oil, egg, strawberry leaves and coltsfoot ashes. add to cornmeal mixture and blend well. Fold in the strawberries and turn the batter into a well-greased 4x8" loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk,
WaûtuckquesSóchepo
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Ahque Wunantash: Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget: 9/11/2001)
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9165564

Thanks. What do they taste like?

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9171836

Wunne Wunnonkou (Good Evening) SusanKC,

You might not think it, but they taste good actually, if you can find the ingredients. The coltsfoot ashes are salty, so they are used in place of salt. Actually many tribes would fight over the rights to harvest the coltsfoot plants. The wood ashes of Maple, Apple, Cherry, Beech, Birch, etc, can be used as a flavoring agent or is added to a recipe to bleach and/or to soften foods and to add trace minerals. Cattail pollen is nature's finest flour.

Aquène kah nahonnushagk,
WaûtuckquesSóchepo
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Ahque Wunantash: Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget: 9/11/2001)

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9183929

My mom used to make tomato soup cake when we were growing up... it was one of our favorites. So moist and tasty. I don't have that recipe but I see there are a lot available on the web now.

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9184003

What do you remember being in the cake besides the soup?

We tried the black bean cake and it was really good. I changed out the frosting since I thought the original was going to be a bit of over kill.

The new peanut butter frosting was made with Greek yogurt instead of cream cheese. It still has a bit of the stick to your mouth texture of peanut butter so next time I would modify it to have slightly more powdered sugar and less peanut butter. http://www.cpbgallery.com/2009/06/28/stonyfield-farm-oikos-greek-yogurt-peanut-butter-frosting/

Cheeries in between the middle layers next time might be good also.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9184013

The cake was a single layer w/o frosting. It was a bit spicey but really really moist. This recipe seems like it could be similar to mom's. I'm going to ask her if she still has the recipe but I'm betting not.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/2887/tomato-soup-cake.html

Thanks
Tam

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9184594

Mom found the recipe! She said she got it from my grandmother:

Tomato Soup Cake

1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 can tomato soup with 1 t. soda
1 1/8 c. flour
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 t cinn, 1/2 t. cloves, 1/2 t. nutmeg

Cream shortening and sugar.
Add salt, egg and soup (with soda)
blend in flour
add spices
Bake at 350 until tooth pick comes clean when inserted
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9184665

Interesting recipe. Has no baking powder in it either. Are you going to try making it?

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9185240

I was wandering around DG and found y'all, hope it's ok to jump in here. My mom made tomato soup cake with a cream cheese frosting. It was like a spice cake. I have made sour kraut cake several times, the texture is akin to coconut after it is baked, but very moist and yummy. I went through a phase years ago using baby food in cakes. Prunes, carrots, etc. and they were always very tasty.
Let's see, an apple cake with cherry juice you couldn't taste, a parsnip chocolate cake, beet chocolate cake and one with cauliflower in it.
Does anyone remember the Mayonnaise chocolate cake? I remember that being one of the first I tried when I got married.

Joy

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9185471

SusanKC - I may give it a try. I remember it so fondly I worry I'll find it doesn't live up to my memory. I imagine the egg and baking soda provides the leavening.

Tam

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9305744

Here is the sauerkraut Chocolate cake---it was usually attributed to Heloise--the elder, i think...
Like many things Ann landers was famous for--heloise had this to her fame.
Gita

Heloise's Sauerkraut Cake

1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup shortening or softened butter
3 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup water or beer
1/2 to 2/3 cup sauerkraut, chopped, rinsed, and drained well
Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting

1. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans or one 9-by-13-inch sheet cake pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together sugar and shortening (or softened butter) in electric mixer. Add eggs, mix well, then add vanilla, salt and cocoa and mix together.

2. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder. Then add the dry ingredients and the water or beer, a little bit at a time, to the batter and mix.

3. Fold in the sauerkraut by hand. Bake in a greased and floured pan(s) for 35 to 45 minutes at 375 degrees.

4. Cool cake on a wire rack, then frost with Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting, stacking layers if using two 8-inch cakes.

Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting

Butter may be substituted for the margarine. For a simpler and less-sweet frosting, just melt 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, cool slightly, then stir in 1 cup sour cream.
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, in pieces
4 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

Melt chocolate pieces with margarine (or butter) in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm. Stir in sour cream, vanilla and salt. Blend in enough confectioners' sugar to make a spreading consistency. Use immediately.
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9308090

Sounds strange but good!!

Michigan Brownies
6 tbs cocoa
2 tbs oil
½ cup butter, melted
2 eggs
½ cup crushed blueberries
½ cup mashed black beans
1 teas vanilla
1 ¼ cup sugar
1 cup flour
¼ teas salt
½ cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease an 8-inch square pan
Melt butter, add cocoa and oil and blend well
Add eggs, vanilla, and sugar, mix well
Add flour and salt and mix well
Stir in blueberries and beans
Batter will be stiff,
Mix in chocolate chips and spread evenly in pan
Bake for 20-25 minutes
Cool and cut
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9308092

That does sound interesting.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9308321

Dr Oz had a black bean brownie recipe on his show a year or two ago. I never tried it though. This one sounds like its got some nutritious stuff in it!

Tam
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2012
2:23 AM

Post #9309507

the tomato soup cake was a staple with my grandma, when we did the harvest in the fall and had extra hands to help, there never was any left. It is strange how we forget about the things that we grewup on. I try to pass things like this on to my children and grandchildren.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America