Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Coffee and Eggs: petroleum products on tree wounds

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Coffee and Eggs
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Coffee and EggsReplies: 0, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
moonrose777
Topeka, KS
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9160763

I enjoyed you article and was actually surprised at some of the findings. In my book. science takes a place over an old wives tale any time. However, when you said in your paragraph about not using a petroleum product on tree wounds because we wouldn't do that to our own body's wounds I had to smile. We actually do just that on a regular basis. Petroleum jelly is definitely a petroleum product and most of the antibiotic salves we use have it for a base with the other ingredients added. Usually that ratio of the petroleum jelly to the active ingredients is very high. as much as 98% in some preparations. I have found through my life that I have to be very careful around anything that is a petroleum dirivative as it causes a allergic reaction yet I have used petroleum based medications to relieve an allergic outbreak. Doesn't seem too smart, does it? I finally talked to my pharmacist about it and was told that he could make any preparation but use a different base for it. There are actually plant based preparations he is now using for me. They are not in a tube like we are used to getting things but in a little flat tin but they work exactly the same and I feel much better about using them. He also told me that there is an illness called Stephans Johnson syndrome that is a terrible illness that our own body can cause when using very simple things like taking asprin even though we have used it all our lives. This over reaction can be fatal and quite frequently is because it is not the kind of thing that is easily diagnosed. I do know a young woman who had raw weeping sores all over her upper body and face and it was from a change in her birth control pills. I wonder how many people do have bad reations to plain old petroleum jelly but there doesn't seem to be any information on it. My grandmother used to make a salve for drawing and healing and it was called Meade salve...because that was the family name. I was asking an aunt what was in it since I didn't want the old recipe to disappear. The aunt told me that she had helped her mother make it many times and could whip up a batch if she just knew where to get the coal tar that was the base for it and the reason it was black. I nearly fell over when she told me that. When I thought about it, it was very similar to the tar that was commonly put on tree wounds and that brings us full circle to your admonition that we not put it on the trees if we wouldn't put it on our own body. Enough said!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Beer, Coffee and Eggs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice. poisondartfrog 8 Jun 11, 2012 6:45 AM
Good stuff! jazzy1okc 2 Jun 11, 2012 10:40 AM
Great Information onemoreshot 2 Jun 14, 2012 6:11 PM
very helpful! peaches75 0 Jun 11, 2012 7:43 AM
more about coffee grounds please maryluck 1 Jun 11, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America