Photo by Melody

Garden Pests and Diseases: What's eating my rose leaves?

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 10, Views: 107
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9161228

Newbie gardener here, trying to figure out what is eating these spots into my leaves. I say "spots" because they aren't all holes. Many of them are spots in the leaves that have gotten tissue paper thin. A few weeks ago I say these tiny, oblong, lime green bugs on the under sides of the leaves. I haven't seen them in a few weeks though. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you!!

Thumbnail by jaimelemon   Thumbnail by jaimelemon
Click an image for an enlarged view.

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9161489

Most likely newly hatched worms, and when they got bigger they moved on to other more tender leaves- I don't think rose leaves are too yummy!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9161990

My 14 mature Knockout shrubs around our porch got attacked by sawfly larvae several weeks ago. By the time I realized it was a problem and got a systemic drench down, they had practically defoliated several of the bushes. Now I'm in a watch-and-wait pattern to see if I need to do a severe pruning, or if they'll re-leaf out.

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9162109

Thanks Terry! Would something like Sevin be a good candidate for a spray? I just got foliage back on these babies after a bad case of black spot. I really don't want to lose more leaves. :(

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9162169

Sevin can be used, but it's toxic to bees, so don't spray it on the flowers.

Bayer makes a 3-in-1 drench that feeds and protects against fungus, pest and other diseases. I'd recommend finding it and following the label for application. I was planning to apply a bag of Beaty'sMagic Mills Mix rose food when mine got attacked, so my local landscape supply recommended a different systemic insecticide/fungicide to pour around the base of the plants (applying another fertilizer wouldn't have been warranted.)

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9163336

I found 3 green Japanese Beetles hanging out inside the flowers last night. Spray has been applied, we shall see.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2012 7:51 AM

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9163340

The Japanese beetles are due for an appearance here, too. But I knew the holes in my leaves were caused by something else because they occurred so early in the season.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 13, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9163793

Could also be "rose slugs". They look much like a tiny green worm. The Bayer 3 in 1 should take care of them too.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9166853

Or--Ear Wigs...They also chew on leaves,,,Hide under pots and boards--just like slugs...

When you pick up a pot or a brick or a bag of soil that has been on the ground for while--
they are under there. The slim. beetle-like bugs with curved pincers at their head.

I just step on them and squish them. NO mercy!!! Gita

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9170851

Ok, the day after spraying, one rose's leaves turned brown and were beginning to curl. Now, a week later, it has 4 leaves left and they don't look so hot. I have not done any more spraying, but I am afraid I might have killed the poor guy. He is still blooming though. :(

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9171243

Mine almost completely defoliated before the systemic drench and fertilizer kicked in. Now they are putting on a flush of new leaves and a few blooms. Water and time. The Japanese beetles have arrived - I need to take a bucket of soapy water out today to the perennial borders. Uck.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America