Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: Please help ID tiny black specks

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
UrbanBonsai
Sacramento, CA

June 11, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9161315

Please help! TINY black specks on underside of leaves on my Chinese elms and Hawthorn. This has been a reoccurring pest for at least 4 years now. It's on the underside of all the leaves on each affected tree, and I mean ALL the leaves - the ENTIRE tree. The spots don't seem to damage the leaves or tree; growth has always been healthy so I haven't worried too much, but a couple of my trees should be ready to show in a year or two and I'll definitely have to rid myself of this before then.
The specks don't scrape off easily by fingernail, at least without damaging the leave. I've tried neem oil to suffocate them, and I experimented with brushing diatomaceous earth on them with a q-tip, but neither had any effect. When I do scrape one off, it's thinner than paper and doesn't seem to be an insect body... but it's too small to say for sure. I searched online for different species of scale and that doesn't seem to match. I need ID to research life cycle and find out how to get rid of them!

Thumbnail by UrbanBonsai
Click the image for an enlarged view.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9164121

i wonder if this could be fertilizer or light or something else entirely unrelated to a pest. i've looked at this picture three times and really can't figure it out. i would snip a leaf off and put it in the fridge (to keep it fresh) and see what happens.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9165223

You might try asking in the Garden Pest and Diseases forum too: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/pad/all/
UrbanBonsai
Sacramento, CA

June 15, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9166527

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm pretty sure it is a pest, because it is ONLY on the underside of leaves, never on the top. If it were residue of something else, it would most certainly be on the tops of leaves as well... The dots are very small so it is impossible to tell whether they are bodies with the naked eye, but I just spoke to a friend who has a microscope and we're going to take a look at them this weekend... I'll let you know how it looks.
I'll try submitted the question to the garden pest and disease forum also.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9166611

Undersides of leaves sure sound pestlike. Keep us updated.
UrbanBonsai
Sacramento, CA

July 5, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9194509

STILL HAVE NOT IDENTIFIED. I looked at it under a microscope and it's so dark it is hard to see structure, but it is definitely a bug, not a fungus/virus. I can make out appendages, barely. Still no clue as to ID. Summer's in full swing and the things hold up fine to the heat, haven't seemed to change in size, numbers, placement. They scratch off the leaf by fingernail a little easier maybe...

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9194561

it has to be some kind of minute scale and probably dead...
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

July 5, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9194593

Try showing some leaves to your county extension agent - http://cesacramento.ucdavis.edu/

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9194607

i googled around a little bit and it seems that the armored scale are the smallest, compared to other scale. maybe this site will help you out.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7408.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America