Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
texan_blooms
Conroe, TX

June 11, 2012
10:47 PM

Post #9161628

Hi- We moved into a new home in Oct. 2011, landscaped front yard had 5 small rounded evergreen shrubs doing fine when we moved in. We are in Texas and under water restrictions so I have been neglecting the watering of the front yard (concentrating on building flower beds in the backyard. Last week all 5 of these evergreen shrubs dropped leaves (all were just brown) as if it were a decidous. No indications of insects, creepy crawlers, blight or anything but lack of water. They did not do this last year eventhough we were having a horrible drought last year. This year we have had little rainfall & I predict Texas will see another below avg rainfall again.
These shrubs are not tender perennials. They are hardy, drought resistant wax leaf commonly used here.
What does everyone think? Is it just lack of water? Leaves on all 5 dropped at the same time and leaves are a solid brown. I have been watering them since last week (every other day or every day). There are some patches of green leaves left on each shrub.
shrubs are in the background/ taken when they were doing well. I can follow up with a current photo tomorrow (I don't know the name of these)
Thanks
Claire

Thumbnail by texan_blooms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9194848

Lack of water can certainly cause your problem with the shrubs especially if you fertilized them. Please post a picture.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9194854

I'm a little confused by the picture... Maybe exhaust fumes? ;P
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9194866

;P so was I Sweetie. I just assume it is the only pic thay have of the shrubs.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9195586

Have you fertilized recently or done anything nearby where something other than pure water could have gotten on the foliage or roots?
texan_blooms
Conroe, TX

July 11, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9202343

[quote="sweetie77"]I'm a little confused by the picture... Maybe exhaust fumes? ;P[/quote]

A BMW WHICH meets american requirements of exhaust fumes does not put out fumes.
not funny when it is on someone elses back
Thanks for the welcome

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9202629

I don't think sweetie77 meant anything but a joke by her comment. We try to keep things light and fun here at Dave's. And you must admit that the first picture isn't really that useful for us to help you solve your problem.

so... how about my questions and that follow-up picture so we can get to the bottom of this? :)
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9202920

Oh WOW! OK! I'm done! Welcome and good luck with your evergreen problem!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 27, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9220718

Sweetie77, I also was very confused by the picture of a car in the forefront however, dont feel dispondant, it matters not to anyone on the site wheather you have a BMW or an old Bone Shaker, the site is for Beginners Gardening Forums and not Car Mechanics R US.
As we are all amatures, humour is always in demand especially as the site goes world wide and some fun in an unsettled world is always welcome especially when taking into account the state of the world, we gardeners have our plants to worry about and for a little while while on this site, we can forget everything else thats going on, We dont discuss religion, colour, politics etc, we do a grand job of cheering some friends up who may be in need of some fun. Stay the way you are Sweetie, Cars come and go or in some cases dont go at all ha, ha, ha !!!! but friendships and gardening will always be with us and new folks will arrive here to learn how to, why, when and pass on their knowledge to others long after we have given up.

Texsas Blooms, try searching for anyone who may have used weedkillers in that area and maybe the breeze caused the stuff to travel to the plants, too much watering or too little, try sinking plastic bottles into the root area (cut the bottom off the cartons, place the narrow part into the soil way down and fill the cartons up with water several times so the water reaches the root area, water shortages can cause problems but try filling up jugs of water from household like washing up water, bath water etc, look out for insects that may be sucking the sap out of the plants, look around the neighbourhood to see if any other plants are affected. AND yes, try parking your BMW some other area Just incase this is the problem, after all it,s not like you moved just yesterday, so the plants have had a slow build up to something happening and it's just showing up now,
Please be sure, no one ,least of all Sweetie deliberately set out to offend you, we all need something to give us a chuckle now-a-days.
Welcome and good luck. WeeNel.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9223904

Sweetie 77, I had a slap on the hand not long ago and felt I enjoyed this site too much to let someone else make me feel negative. Just enjoy gardening.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9224300

Thanks, I feel better! I'm not going anywhere LOL! I have always thought one of my best qualities was being able to make people smile even in the worst of times. I guess some people have no sense of humor ;D Defensive much? to answer the OP... Hire a Landscaper!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America