Photo by Melody

Roses: My 2012 Rose Garden, Come-in and Smell the Roses!

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 168, Views: 1,680
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9161636

I mentioned in one of the threads here about a couple months ago, that I was away for about a year and just came back around late February and to my surprise some of the roses were leafing out already. The weather was then pretty mild, down here at the Jersey shore anyway. Spring did came early this year and by 1st week of March I was pruning and fertilizing the roses already. Around 1st week of May, most of the roses were blooming already, which is kind of early for our area.
In my 4 years of rose gardening, this year is the best so far, not only in the quantity, but the quality and the richness of the colors in blooms. Sometimes, I'm amazed myself how the garden turned out. It's not perfect, but I'm proud of it. The garden is all 100% organic. This is the second year now with no synthetics, no chemical insecticides or fungicides. Well, last year I only did some spring prep and fertilization and after that nothing as I went away. I'll tell you guys later what I'm using this year. Meantime let's look at some photos:

First, I'm going to show some series of photos, sort of a 360 virtual tour of the gardens. No comments or description. I will post sub-groups and individual photos with names later. I just want you guys to wander in the garden. So please come-in to my garden and smell the roses! Pick a bud - or 2 - or 3...

Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9161637

Continuing with the 360 view:

Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
12:06 AM

Post #9161638

continued

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
12:12 AM

Post #9161641

continued

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
12:19 AM

Post #9161646

more of 360

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
12:23 AM

Post #9161648

Last 5

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9161650

And now on to the parade of roses.
First we need a Grand Marshall! I'm giving the honor to this particular rose just because of its name (not necessarily my favorite rose). Named after a famous event every New Year's day.
I present 'Tournament of Roses':

Thumbnail by Tex68
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
12:38 AM

Post #9161651

A parade is not a parade without a band. So here's 'Brass Band' (one of my favorites):

Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9161654

The rest of the participants:
First group - Lady of Shallot, The Wedgwood Rose, Ascot, and Star of the Nile. The latter 2 were just budding when this group shot was taken.

Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
12:54 AM

Post #9161657

Lady of Shallot: This is a second year bare root from David Austin. When I got it early spring last year it was one of the weakest among the bare roots. When I came back early this year it only got one healthy cane and did not had high hopes for it. Look at it now with all the branching just from one cane. Quite a spreader too and very vigorous. I don't even have to deadhead the blooms since it literally branch out itself while still budding or blooming. Currently it got 3 more basal shoots.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
1:05 AM

Post #9161664

The Wedgwood Rose - another 2nd yr DA bare root. Not much of a bloom but currently got 3 long basal shoots about 5ft high. This is a climber by the way.
Last photo also features clematis Duchess of Edinbourgh.

Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
1:12 AM

Post #9161667

Grandiflora 'Ascot' - another 2nd yr bare root. Supposedly deep pink, but more of a crimson color.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
1:19 AM

Post #9161668

Like the colors of an Egyptian sunset (so they say), this is the 'Star of the Nile'. Cerise pink, quite a delightful rose. Must see it in person to really appreciate it.
Last photo is with 'James Gallway'.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
1:24 AM

Post #9161670

Next group - The Dark Lady, James Gallway, Tamora, Tradescant, Christopher Marlowe, and Abraham Darby. All David Austin roses.

Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9161671

'The Dark Lady' - on its 3rd yr, it is the 'social greeter' as it is planted right next to the steps of the walkway leading to the house. This rose is quite a spreader also.
Last photo is a trio with James Galway and Tamora.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2012 3:34 AM

Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
1:38 AM

Post #9161673

'James Galway' - I'm growing it as a bush, but it will have a tendency to be a climber. I'll see how tall it will get.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
1:53 AM

Post #9161674

Tamora - a 3rd yr own root.
1st photo - Tamora on left, also shows Chris Marlowe and Abe Darby.
Last photo - Tamora on right, James Galway on left.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
1:59 AM

Post #9161675

The colors of Chris(topher) Marlowe:
From red-orange as a bud to a light pink at it ages. Another 3rd yr own root and a ground hugger as well.
Last 2 photos also shows Tradescant.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
2:03 AM

Post #9161677

Tradescant - it's one of those 'twiggy' looking own root when I got it. Slow to develop but it's getting along just fine.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #9161680

One of my favorites - Abe (Abraham) Darby, aka Candy Rain.
4th photo - back of trellis facing the house.
5th photo - front of trellis facing the street.

Just a note: I try to capture the true colors when taking these photos. I use a Sony ax700 DSLR camera. I use 2 lenses, and mostly I use the aperture setting. Color variations may occur with the 2 lenses. Of course time of day, light, and weather can be a factor too. Not to mention - most David Austin roses changes colors depending on weather/temperature situation.
I'm not a professional photographer, but I did took a 'crash' course in photography, yet I'm still confused as ever when it comes to camera setting.
Also, all photos where taken in a span of 3-4 week period.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
2:25 AM

Post #9161683

Huntington Rose

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9161684

Another sub-group of David Austin Roses

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
2:36 AM

Post #9161686

Heritage - originally belonged to my Mom. Gosh, I think it's over 15 yearsd old. How long is a rose bush suppose to live?
This is one tough bush despite the age. The blooms are sometimes a blush pink and next day it will be peach. Go figure!

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

June 12, 2012
2:52 AM

Post #9161692

I am speechless! Your garden is absolutely beautiful - I can smell the roses...

I was thinking of getting a few DAs this year.(Only a few are available to us in SA). Your beautiful photos convinced me that it is the right thing to do. Thanks for brightening a cold Winter's day.

Elsa
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
2:54 AM

Post #9161693

This is 'The Prince'. an own root on it's 3rd yr too. Deep crimson to 'royal' purple. I'm not to keen about the blooms. It don't produce that many in the first place. More like a hybrid tea. It does send out basal shoots to the point I have to yank them out as it gets crowded in the base.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
3:02 AM

Post #9161697

Thanks Elsa, and Good Morning to you! More photos are coming. I don't even have half of them posted yet.
I'm really, really tired so I may have to take a break and post more later tonight.

Shame that you can't access much of the DA roses in South Africa. Here I'm lucky because I can get it both online and in nurseries. In fact 3 nurseries in my neck of the woods all carry DA roses. And the good thing is, by the end of the season, I can get them as low as $5-$10 for a 3 gallon pot.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9161702

Golden Celebration - another of my Mom's rose.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
3:20 AM

Post #9161708

Next sub-group is Mary Rose, Wenlock, Winchester Cathedral, The Alnwick Rose, Wildeve (all DA roses), and Pink Gruss An Aachen (floribunda).
Look closely in the photos and you'll find clematis Niobe.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2012 5:43 AM

Thumbnail by Tex68   Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9161710

Mary Rose (light pink) - another of Mom's roses.
Wenlock (dark)

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #9161712

The Alnwick Rose

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9161714

Pink Gruss An Aachen - aka Irene Watts. Not a DA rose but still of European ancestry. A floribunda discovered and introduced in the Netherlands.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9161718

Winchester Cathedral (white) and Wildeve (pink)
Winchester is a sport of Mary Rose and sometimes got a tendency to have pink splatches on the blooms.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9161725

I need to stop for now. I will be back later tonight. I got way more roses to post.

Here's a parting shot for now, and I wan't you guys to guess what rose this is:

Thumbnail by Tex68

mar110
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9161803

Oh my goodness - my mouth is drooling!
scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9161855

Tex68, I thought I spent a lot of time and effort with my roses, but comparatively, I feel like a real beginner when I take a look at your beautiful roses !
Thanks for the "show" !
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9161926

Absolutely gorgeous!

I remember last year we discussed Lady of Shalott (maybe fall of 2010). I mentioned on another thread that I had babied it through the 100 year w/100+ degree temps we had here last summer, only to have it apparently give up the ghost in late August. Three months of 100+ temps without relief seemed to be too much and all I had left was leafless and brown canes. I didn't have the heart to yank it out and this spring, as I was cleaning out the beds, I thought I had better get the job done. Lo and behold there were canes and green leaves shooting up from the base. Lady of S is now spreading out and blooming. I'm glad your's is working out as well. I think it is a sleeper of a rose and love the color. Not much fragrance, but that may develop with time.

I'll have to look at Wedgewood next. I think you went with Wedgewood and I with Tam O Shanter--which did not make it through the summer. I just don't think the new babies had enough of a root system to handle the heat. Maybe both for this fall?

Loved the photos. Thanks for posting them, you've made my day!
Pinetucky
Swainsboro, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9162000

Just beautiful!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 12, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9162165

What a fabulous display! I am overwhelmed - I only wish that I could smell them too.

Could your last rose be Ketchup and Mustard?
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9162237

Thank Y'all!
Terri - LoShallot is certainly one of the biggest surprises in my garden this year. I'm amazed myself. One of the new basal shoots is now more than 5 ft tall. I had to stake it. Out of that single shoot, it branced out 6 more branches without even cutting/pruning the cane. CRAZY! The whole bush/shrub constantly got at least one bloom because of all the branching.

Scottishgent - I think you're doing just great. But most of the roses you grow are HT or floribundas. I have those too. But they don't grow like and don't have the characteristics of DA roses. Believe me, I don't spend that much time in the garden. I have a full-time job. In fact have to work in a couple hours. Maybe an hour everyday, and maybe dedicate half a day every week. That's why I chose to grow and feed them organics. Organic is a self sustaining and a continous recycling of nutrients with the help of microbes and beneficial fungus. I will certainly discuss this at a later time and maybe make a seperate thread.

Well, special merit goes to Porkpal for guessing the last rose I posted. Yep, Ketchup and Mustard. NOT fond of the name, for such a sophisticated rose. They could have a least named it after.. let's see... a politician! He-he! Just kidding.
When I came back Feb., I said to myself I'm not buying any more roses (yeah, right!). Then around March, this was in the cover of a catalog. I went to one website to another and all were sold-out. Then in early April I happen to be in one of the nurseries here, and lo and behold there it was. Clearly it was a bare root that they planted themselves in a pot - only $18. So, I got myself another rose.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9162281

I tried posting more photos, but this site is really slow and won't even load the photos. They need a better web server. I need to go to work anyway. I'll be back later tonight after work.
meganEmelia
Rochester, NY

June 12, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9162925

Wow! What a beautiful garden. it should be featured in a magazine! or maybe by david Austin on his site! i really enjoyed your pictures and the way you showed the whole garden together, and then showed us the varieties that are in it. I have learned so much from them. Do you have a special way you fit everythin all together, roses and perenniels... I didn't think roses like having close neighbors but your's are thriving. I am just starting to grow some roses and you have cetainly given me lots of inspiration. I have a 3 graham thomas that are about three years old and they are beautiful. However, they don't rebloom very well. I have a few climbing iceberg's , at least I hope they are climbing the canes don't seem to be gwowing very tall. Also a few Madame alfred carrier- one from last year and one from this year. I really like that one and am wondering if I should put it in betewwn the iceberg's on my fence. I had a teasing georgia and a shariff asima behind my garage, but my my yard is alwaays full of lots of kids and thy were trampled and had broken branches from a fort being built on top of them abuot a month ago. I went to see how they were doing today, and as i was messing around taking some of the bricks that fell on them away, I found a rooted baby branch. Incredible! I had tried rooting once with a pop bottle and no luck. so there was a silver lining ...lucky for the kids! now i wonder if I should leave it where it is and get bigger roots or put it in a pot. since i wasn't sure I put it back the way it was- it must be happy there. What is your favorite rose Tex? what's the best repeater for you? From your pictures it looks like you have full sun all day is that right? I'm interested in finding some that don't mind a little shade, thus the iceberg's and the mme. Carrier... Also I'm looking forward to hearing how you keep them so healthy and do you feed them? Well sorry to go on so much, THank you for your posting. meg
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
12:12 AM

Post #9163137

Thanks Megan! Funny you mentioned the garden should be featured in a magazine. One of my neighbors told me last month he was going to call Better Homes and Gardens. I doubt he will!

Your asking me what my special way of fitting everything, my answer is - anything goes. My inspiration is a combination of an English garden and a cottage garden. Aside from the fact that I'm limited in space, I always like the look of a full, lush garden. I hate to see open spaces. I like all kinds of flowering perrenials. I got lilies all over. A few asiatics and mostly orientals, trumpets, and orienpets.Gosh, I got so many I lost track of the count. They're easy to grow and since they grow vertical with just a single stalk, they're planted between the rose bushes. Later you will see photos of some that are like 8ft tall. When they bloom it's a whole other spectacle of a show.
Clematis are all over the place too. If there's a trellis, a tee pee, or a fence, or a climbing rose, there's a clematis in there. And of course, you should know by now, that roses and clematis are the perfect partners.
Delphiniums, foxgloves, lupines, hollyhocks, are the very staples of a cottage garden. Though most varieites are beinnials than perennials they always add colors and variety to the garden when the roses are not blooming at the moment. Then you add the ever dependable Shasta daisy, Heleniums are very colorful, then you have all these hybrid Echinaceas that comes in different colors and shapes. And oh yeah, May Night salvias, as you've seen in the photos. The bluish (actually deep purple) blooms always give a striking contrast with the pastel colors of the roses. If you keep deadheading the spent blooms, they will keep blooming the whole season. For ground covers, I use campanulas and verbenas. Bearded Irises are always a delight in early spring and may rebloom in the fall. I got peonies too but I don't plant them with the roses since they tend to crowd the space with their foliage. I can go on and on. Hibiscus/Rose Mallow, dahlias and much more. If you're patient enough, I will post some companion planting photos when I'm done with the rose parade.
So they say roses don't like to be crowded. But if you look at DA's site and his rose shows and gardens, and I also have one of his books, they always look too crowded especially with other companion plantings.
I'm doing the same thing and everything is growing merrily. As I mentioned before. my garden is not perfect. I do get blackspots and mildew, but they're not severe and are controlled without using chemicals.
I'm only using 3 kinds of fertilizer and amendments, all organic. What are they, I'll tell you later. LOL!
Meantime, back to photos:

These were taken just 2 days ago.
1st photo is Chris Marlowe with asiatic lily Pavia
2nd photo is Alexandra - Princesse de Luxembourgh(sp?) with shasta daisy just beginning to bloom.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
12:16 AM

Post #9163138

Back to my rose parade.
Another group of Austins - Graham Thomas, Carding Mill, Pat Austin, and Charlotte

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
12:18 AM

Post #9163139

Weird. I posted 4 photos above and only 2 appeared. Anyway here's Graham Thomas.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012

Post #9163143

Carding Mill

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9163166

Pat Austin

Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
2:38 AM

Post #9163172

Ok, this is really weird. I've been trying to post multiple photos but this site won't let me. Everytime I post the photos, it always bring me to that 'Ask Questions Gardening Forum' something like that page. Huh?
What's the use of having that feature if you can't use it.
Finally a photo of Pat austin went through but supposed to be 4 photos and is just showing one. I give up. I'm tired now and about to hit the hay. I'll try again later.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9163432

Tex68, I cram my Austin in close as well. Some roses really don't like that, but IMO the Austins are bred to do that. I have several of this books and it does appear that he trials many of this roses in hedge rows rather than individual pots in greenhouses. That may make a difference. It is only a guess on my part but it does make sense. Anyway, hang in there with the photo postings. I've had problems, too. I think it comes and goes.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9163750

Ok, let me try something here.
Pat Austin again:

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9163757

Holy Molly worked like a breeze! My photos were too large so have to resize them all.

And now here's Charlotte:

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9163762

Another sub-group planted right along the corner.

Strawberry Hill, Brass Band, Alexandra - Princesse de Luxembourgh, and The Generous Gardener

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9163767

Strawberry Hill - another Austin, just love the color of this one. Yeah, I know I got plenty of pinks but I really like this one.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9163778

Brass Band - a floribunda, one of my top 3 favorites. Photos don't do justice on the colors of this rose. This is one of those you have to see in person to really appreciate it. The blending of the colors is just simply wicked! Hardly in circulation, a hard to find rose.
1st photo is paired with Strawberry Hill.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9163829

Next is a shrub rose from Palatine - Alexandra - Princesse de Luxembourgh.
This is a 2nd yr bare root and it's a monster of a rose - growth wise. Canes are over 8ft tall even after a hard pruning early this year. Hight description was just about 4ft tall and was never described as a climber.
Currently I have it on a tee pee I made specifically for 'The Generous Gardener' - next rose to follow.
I may have to move it this fall, since it's planted anyway with 2 other light pink roses - TGGardener and Mortimer Sackler, both very vigorous climbers themselves.

Last photo is with Mortimer Sackler- which ione is which?

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9163832

The Generous Gardener - a very pale pink Austin

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9163838

Next group is a mix of Austins, Floribundas, and an Old Garden Rose

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9163843

This is 'Ammonit'.
Ammonit is a floribunda from Germany. Among the first to bloom in my garden, and of course the first to get picked on, as this area is facing my neighbor's property.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9163851

Another floribunda, this one is from New Zealand - 'Erfordia'.
A gorgeous true red, though not much of a fragrance. The blooms somehow resemble Austin's William Shakespeare (which I don't have).

Last 2 photos also shows Tess of d'Urbervilles. So which one is which?
It's one of those 'what was I thinking' moment. Planting a red with another red. That's what happens if you're running out of space. I'm sure I'm going to be busy this fall and spring next year moving stuff around.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9163859

Another Austin - Tess of d'Urbervilles.
As I mentioned in the previous post - planted right behind a red 'Erfordia' on a trellis shared with Mortimer Sackler as seen on the last 2 photos.
4th photo is the view from my side of the property, 5th photo is the neighnor's side.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9163877

Mortimer Sackler.
The growth is massive but everything else is tiny. The leaves and the blooms are tiny, but when it blooms, it blooms like there's no tomorrow. This is a true climber from Austin. Got it's own trellis but is spreading to 2 tee pees on both sides. Sends out long shoots that are so flexible. They will literally 'crawl' into any support they can land on.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9163885

This rose looks so regal. After all she is the 'Queen of Sweden'.
Another own-root Austin. Still small, but a survivor. I moved it 3 times already. Last photo is with Claire Austin.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9163888

Claire Austin - do I have to mention it's a David Austin rose? Named after his daughter. A delightful white rose I'm growing and training as a climber for a tee pee.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9163908

Next one is an Old Garden Rose, a Damask Perpetual - 'Marchesa Boccella' .
So much confusion about the name of this rose. The correct original name is 'Marquise Boccella' . It is also called 'Jacques Cartier', and some may argue they're 2 different roses.
Either you have Marquise Bocella or Jacques Cartier, the ARS, for exhibition purposes wants it labeled as 'Marchesa Bocella'.
So, since I'm kind of 'exhibiting', I present : Marchesa Bocella! LOL!

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9163924

Moving along to the next group:

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9163926

Corvedale - a cupped rose from Austin.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9163928

'A Shropshire Lad' - a blend of orange and pink from Austin. I always find this rose so mystical. Don't know why. This is a 3rd yr own-root and has grown immensely and I'm traing it as a climber.

1st photo is with Corvedale, last photo is with Marchioness of Londonderry, next to follow.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9163934

Marchioness of Londonderry - a while blend OGR Hybrid Perpetual. Not really fond about it. Blooms kind of resemble 'New Dawn'.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9163945

Another pink from Austin, and one of my favorites - 'Spirit of Freedom'.
This is a gorgeous rose. Large blooms with strong fragance. It got a tendency to 'ball' when it's wet.

English roses - officially is not a classification and technically they are modern shrub roses, but this one looks like like an old garden rose with it's bloom form. They say it got 200 petals. How can you count that many petals by just looking at it?

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9163948

Got time for a few more before I go somehwere else, and after that I won't be back till tomorrow.
So here's another group

Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9163970

Here's another 'baller' from Austin - 'Jude the Obscure'.

Either it's a ball or an open bloom, I'll take it any time. I think the 'balling' is kind of unique and offers something different.
Oh let me tell you where I got this rose. Of all places - K-mart! LOL! I was driving through their parking lot a couple years ago, and through the corner of my eye while still keeping my eyes on the road for pedestrians, I can see they got roses outside the store. There were no blooms, just foliage. Then it dawned on me they were DA roses, so stepped on the brakes and found myself a parking space. Having grown DA roses I was sure they were by just the foliage.
They were selling them as 'Fragrant Tea' roses in unmarked black pots with no mention of David Austin. But it got metal tags from Week's roses. And when I was reading the names on the tags, I was right. In short, I got 3 Austins that day. Jude, Molineux, and Teasing Georgia. They were like $8 something a pot. They may have gotten away with royalties to DA, but hey, I'm not complaining.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9163986

Hanna Gordon - a floribunda, aka Raspberry Ice
last photo is with Chartreuse de Parme

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9163989

Chartreuse de Parme - a mauve blend large hybrid tea. Very fragrant and an excellent repeater as well.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9163999

Last rose for now, then I'll continue tomorrow. At least I fixed the problem on posting these photos.

Okay, so I'm NOT repeating or posting the same rose, but you might be seeing doubles. Another one of those what was I thinking. Look at Hannah Gordon/Raspberry Ice a couple post above. This one is planted right behind it. I really need some serious re-organization.

This is Cherry Parfait, another floribunda. If you want a more sohisticated name, aka, Princepe de Monaco.

1st photo is both Hannah Gordon and Cherry Parfait. So really, can you tell which one is which??!!

See you guys tomorrow!

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9164004

My parting shot for the day:
It's NOT Hannah Gordon, nor Cherry Parfait, can you guess?

Thumbnail by Tex68

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

June 14, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9164608

Double Delight, maybe?
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9164707

Tex, I've been wanting Jude the Obscure for a bit. Does it ball for you? Some balling doesn't bother me as it is mostly weather related (as the weather does change a lot here in NE Texas). But I've heard Jude call ball ... so was wondering what you thought.

Give Teasing Georgia plenty of room. I love that rose and have five of them. Three are now nine feet tall and wide. The other two will probably get there eventually. I'm in the hot zones where Austins will grow much larger than advertised, but I've heard from others that their TG's have grown out of bounds as well. Oh, and it wants to reach out and shake your hand, if you get my meaning! Still, I love big honkin' roses so TG fits my bill!

$8/pot! How can one resist?!?
meganEmelia
Rochester, NY

June 14, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9165487

Beautiful pictures...As i go through I think oh I have to get that one and then I say the same for the next and the next... and the next! Terri_emory your Teasing Georgia's sound beautiful too. Do they repeat good for you?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 14, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9165654

I have Teasing Georgia too and she blooms almost continuously for me all spring, summer and fall - great rose!
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9165671

Elsa - you're right! The last photo is Double Delight.

Terri - that's why some growers are renaming 'Teasing Georgia' to "TAMING Georgia"! LOL!
Megan- in my case as long as I deadhead the blooms, almost all Austins will rebloom. I'll get sporatic blooms here and there, then a second flush around August (assuming they get plenty of water), then a third flush around end of October.

Continuing to my parade:
This is a Hybrid Tea - Royal Ascot. This was breed on my birth year. So if you do your research, y'all know how old I am! LOL!
Another pink with a crimson reverse. The only problem is, when the bloom ages, the crimson turns to a bronze.brownish color. Makes the bloom look 'dirty' on the edges or thrip-like damage.
Last photo is with Louisiana Iris. Don't know the name.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9165681

Another grouping. This is the area now facing my small lawn. The previous groups were facing the street and my neighbor's lawn.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9165685

Scepter d'Isle - a very delicate looking rose but a tough one despite getting crowded by the lilies. A DA rose.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9165692

Right above Scepter d'Isle is clematis Polish Spirit on a tee pee.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9165699

The Endeavor - This is an Austin rose, though I believe is not in circulation in UK, but just the US and Oz.
Reportedly it was breed for hot weather conditions.
Another one of those you have to see in real life to truly appreciate it's beauty and colors.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9165703

Rosenstadt Freising - a shrub rose. 2nd yr bare root from north of the border (Palatine) and another monster, growth-wise. Send-out huge shoots all over. The blooms I'm not really crazy about. Small (though in clusters). Did not expect them to be so small. The red markings on the edges are not prevalent .

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9165706

Princess Alexandra of Kent.
The name alone will make you think - must be an Austin rose. Of course, it's an Austin rose!

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9165714

The feautured Grand Marshall of this parade - Tournament of Roses.
A two tone coral-pink grandiflora. A very good repeater.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9165716

oops! forgot the pictures:

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9165718

Going to the corner now:

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9165723

Sir John Betjeman.
A different shade of pink with a rosette bloom-form from Austin.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9165727

Mother of Pearl -grandiflora. The leaves on this are gigantic.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9165730

Back view of the front bed. This is my view when I'm on the front porch.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9165735

Darcey Bussell - a red blend with an old-fashion looking bloom from Austin.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9165740

Benjamin Britten.
Is it orange? Is it red? Let's just say, red with a touch of orange. Unusual indeed for an Austin rose.
Benjamin is sharing a trellis with Golden Celebration.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9165749

Eglantyne / Eglantyne Jebb.
Verry pretty! Looks like ruffled pink laces. She's a 3rd yr own-root. On her left is another Darcey Bussel bush.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9165752

LD (Leonard Dudley) Braithwaite.
He's a handsome dark red rose. My favorite red from Austin.
1st photo also shows again Abe Darby and clematis Duchess of Edinburgh.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9165784

Going to another group - this time by the driveway:

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9165785

Crown Princess Margareta - an apricot blend from Austin's English collection.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9165788

Another of 'The Generous Gardener'.
Last 3 photos also features clematis Nelly Moser, Franziska Maria, and climber America.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #9165791

Another view of clematis Nelly Moser. I bought this almost-dead plant at Lowe's 3 yrs ago for 25 cents. LOL!
Look at it now!
2nd photo reveals other plantings. Hydrangea in the foreground, Hibiscus Pink Elephant right behind it, Yarrows, Echinacea Milk Shake, and lilies around 8ft tall in the background.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9165794

Large Flowered Climber 'America'. Salmon-pink with a lighter reverse. Blooms throughout the season till frost.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9165796

Another view of clematis Franziska Maria - planted between The Gen. Gardener and America.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9165800

Mingling along with America is clematis Avant-Garde. Just starded blooming this week.
Last photo also show clematis Red Cardinal that mingles with the next rose - Teasing Georgia.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
12:58 AM

Post #9165825

So Terri, here's your Teasing Georgia.

I moved this rose from where I planted it by an old shed to it's current location in early April. I defied transplanting rules. Moved the whole bush top to bottom, canes 6-7ft long, leaves and all. Only pruned twiggy branches at the bottom.
It never skipped a beat. Not only it put out new growth, it bloomed beautifully as well.

Knock on wood, I've never killed a rose yet by transplanting.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
1:06 AM

Post #9165827

Teasing Georgia is paired with clematis Red Cardinal. Red Cardinal is a 2nd yr plant I planted as a plug size plant early last year. Decided to bloom when TG was about done.
Last photo is a preview of what's next to follow.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
1:09 AM

Post #9165829

High Society - dark pink/fuschia large flowered climber with clematis Josephine.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012

Post #9165832

Fourth of July - red blend large flowered climber.

This is a 3rd yr own root from Brushwood. I remember this was like a band size when I planted it. It grows like crazy! I even have to chopped off parts of the arborvitae next to it to make room for the growth.

Last photo - the way I took the shot, looks like a firework exploding in a July summer night.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #9165833

Next section is continuing to the same side of the property. This is more like of a cutting area for roses, lilies, whatever.

Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
1:36 AM

Post #9165835

Large Flowered Climber 'Candy Land' and clematis Lemon Chiffon.
Both don't bloom together.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
1:41 AM

Post #9165836

A coral-red, orange blend hybrid tea - Fragrant Cloud with clematis Barbara Harrington.
Last photo - remnant of Fragrant Cloud blooms but asiatic lily Orange Pixie just started opening their buds.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9165837

HRH, Queen Elizabeth - a grandiflora.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
1:47 AM

Post #9165838

Lare Flowered Climber - Don Juan.
Flirting with this handsome fellow is Barbara Harrington again. She's just all over everybody.
Don Juan only got a handful of blooms last month, but as you can see on the last photo he got buds all over. Took the photo just 2 days ago.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
1:55 AM

Post #9165840

Seems like this is never going to end! Lol!
Only got a few left. Really!! But will finish it tonight.

Parting shot of the day - Echinacea Summer Sun.

Thumbnail by Tex68

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9166046

LOL! Yes, my Teasing Georgia blooms almost constantly. I have a "herd" of some sort of bird roosting in the three largest. If I walk past them at dusk the whole shrubs rumble and then birds come flying out at all angles. TB must be good cover as we have a number of owl families on our property and these birds are not diminishing in numbers. I don't see them in TG during the day but I think they are black phoebes. Very cute but hard to spot a dusk when they are flying straight at one's head.
scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9169166

Is 112 getting near a record for number of replies to a post ??!! (Excepting posts like the "disease..." post).
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9169814

I don't think so. When I first signed on to Dave's there were some honkin' long rose parades. Especially in the winter. They would turn into three and four threads. Really fun isn't it =)! As I've said before, I love looking at what everyone is doing!

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9169819

When Zuzu used to post her roses it would go way up into the hundreds. Also the clematis chat is on its third or fourth bump up I think. I love to see what others are doing too ... although I'm just a lurker right now I have learned a boatload of stuff. :-)
dwendt
Byron Center, MI

June 19, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9171882

Hi Tex,
Your pictures of your garden are wonderful. Could you please tell me how you maintain, fertilize, get rid of blackspot, etc. when your roses are so packed in with other flowers?
Thanks friend! (you've been a real help to me in times past)
Doug
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 19, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9171892

- And weed?
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9172560

I just don't understand why I can't teach my dogs to weed ☺!
MajiA
Kenner, LA

June 20, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9173628

Wow, amazing... great collection and lovely images too.
Portland_Rose
Portland, OR

June 25, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9179976

Tex66 your garden is gorgeous! Thanks for posting all these beautiful photos and informative descriptions. I'm brand new to the forum, and it seems you and I have some similar leanings. I'm an Austin fan as well, get mine from Heritage Roses near me here in Oregon, and I love roses in lush English-style mixed borders. (Too bad delphiniums and foxglove flop over in our June rains here, though.) I just planted my garden last year, converted from lawn, with 50 roses and assorted trees, shrubs and perennials. I'm so happy be here to learn from you and others and get inspiration from your rose garden paradise! Here's Lord Mountbatten as a thank you from Portland.

Thumbnail by Portland_Rose

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9181621

Portland_Rose, welcome to the forum and please post a thread with photos of your roses when you get a chance! We'd love to see it all!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9198468

Tex, I really need to get over there and see it in person!!!!
dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9215876

This thread is a treasure. A huge rose garden detailed in pictures. I'm sure I'll be coming back to it frequently.
cattjovi
Richmond Hill, GA

October 31, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9321457

Tex, Hope your safe after Sandy.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9321983

Hoooo Boy! Hope all you folks in the NE area are OK!
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:13 AM

Post #9422584

I never really finished posting in this thread! LOL! Like what I said before, I always play hide and seek in this forum.

Cat and Terri - thanks for your concerns! Other than almost 2 wks w/ no power no major damage in our property, and not a single cane damage on my roses, though trees and branches were falling all over. Lots of devastation along the shore line though.

It's now Feb, and it's been a mild winter. I can count on my fingers how many nights we've been below 30 degrees.
Ground here never freezes. Some of my lilies decided to poke their little heads out of the ground already. Last wk-end they got covered by about 8" of snow only to be melted the following day. 3-4 wks time, I'm going to start pruning and amending the soil.

More roses:

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:15 AM

Post #9422585

The Endeavor (Austin)

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013

Post #9422587

Pure Poetry aka Autumn Song

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:23 AM

Post #9422589

All American Magic

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:25 AM

Post #9422590

Love, Abbaye de Cluny, Chicago Peace, OGR Madame Cordier

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:29 AM

Post #9422592

Large-Flowered Climbers - Aloha, High Society, Pearly Gates

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:32 AM

Post #9422594

Floribunda Mardi Gras

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:35 AM

Post #9422595

Large-Flowered Climber Talisman and Mini Pink Above All

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:38 AM

Post #9422596

More group shots.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:40 AM

Post #9422597

and more...

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:42 AM

Post #9422598

The Carpets - got the red ones too but have no idea why I don't have photos of them.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
12:59 AM

Post #9422599

The companions! Not going to details. Just an idea of what I have in the garden year round. Some of the photos got names labeled already. Other than my lilies and roses I can't remember the names of most other plants.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:01 AM

Post #9422601

The Hollyhocks.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:04 AM

Post #9422602

Asters and hardy mums.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:07 AM

Post #9422603

If there are echinaceas, there will surely be butterflies!

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:11 AM

Post #9422604

More Clematis shots.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013

Post #9422606

and more...

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:20 AM

Post #9422608

I'm feeling the blues...

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:24 AM

Post #9422609

Some of the dahlias.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:27 AM

Post #9422611

More Delphs, a daylily, and yes, a lady bug!

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:29 AM

Post #9422612

Echinaceas.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:36 AM

Post #9422613

A lady used to post here, also from the Northeast, upper NY I think, used to showcase her lilies in her rose gardens. I forgot her name. But lilies are really easy to grow and get along well with roses.It's a great comboI Here's some of mine:

Asiatics and Asiatic Hybrids:

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:38 AM

Post #9422615

Group shots of Orientals.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:42 AM

Post #9422616

Oriental-Trumpet (Orienpet) hybrids. Some reaching 8 ft tall.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:45 AM

Post #9422617

More Orienpets.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:48 AM

Post #9422618

Pretty in Pink! Pink lilies, pink clematis, fuchsia pink rose.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
1:56 AM

Post #9422619

More Oriental Group Shots.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
2:10 AM

Post #9422620

Got to stop for now, I think it won't 'et me load anymore pictures. LOL!
Be back later!

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2013
4:07 AM

Post #9422663

Your thread is so uplifting at this time of year and your photos are breathtaking! I'm inspired. : )

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2013
4:25 AM

Post #9422674

Tex68, I have a special request; if it's not too much trouble. I would like to see a photo of your rose hedge in the winter to get a better visual of the spacing between your roses. I would like to fill in the gaps between my roses along my back fence. You did this with lilies and other flowers, right?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
5:57 AM

Post #9422784

Such grand and glorious photos! Love all the roses, lilies, dahlias, hollyhocks and the others.

Your posts made it worthwhile to get up on this chilly morning! Thank you so much.

There are people with many acres but they can't hold a candle to you with all your beautiful blooms.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 18, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9422858

Tex, all I can say is WOW!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9422886

Tex68! Glad all is well in your little eden ☺. Some day I hope sections of my yard end up looking like yours. Right now I'm still battling #$@%^& bahaia grass. That's what I get for gleefully thinking I can start rose gardens in the middle of a Texas pasture. Ah well, I'm having mostly fun with it. Just planted out The Lady's Blush, Princess Anne, Windflower, Windrush, and Fighting Temeraire. I have more to go but I ran out of steam.

A quick question. I have Lady of Shalott and this is it's first season to be pruned which I did this past month. It is already shooting out again and I'm wondering if it would be a good candidate for pegging. Do you have this rose? Have you heard much about it?

This message was edited Feb 18, 2013 9:14 AM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9423165

That is how I picture heaven...peaceful, beautiful, perfect. I will look at this many times over.

Roses are difficult in this heat and humidity, I did just order 2 Brass Bands last week tho. I have a Tiffany that is 13 years old and keeps on keeping on. Other than that, I got weigh-laid on daylilies. Thats about run its course tho, except nice garden varieties.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
8:27 PM

Post #9423823

Thanks Y'All for the compliments.

Pirl - of all people, what a surprise to see you here at the rose forum! I should stop by more often @ the Northeast forum to say Hi to everybody. I know what you mean - I often drive through a lot of affluent neighborhoods here in Jersey, nice homes, vast property but I often wonder if those people ever touched dirt in their whole life time. LOL!

One more rose I forgot to post - Ebb Tide:

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9423844

Terri - Lady of Shallot, there's just something mysterious about her!

Funny you mentioned pruning it last month. I pruned mine just before Miss Sandy graciously decided to pay NJ a visit. The canes got so tall, even though I got a bamboo stake supporting the bush, I was afraid the storm was going to damage the canes. Since then, it's been branching out despite the cold temps.
To answer your question, I guess so. Last summer it keep producing long shoots. So while the shoots are still young and tender, I don't see any reason why you can't peg them - space permitting, or at least try to train the canes until it matures. Have you ever considered an obelisque or something like that and wrap the canes through it?

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9423846

Hi! I do love roses but so do our deer. Now I've been given the former vegetable garden since the heat waves and the sun spoiled gardening for Jack last year. I only started working on it the last week of October, then came storm Sandy, then storm Athena. I was lucky to get the many dahlias lifted and the almost 500 allium planted and then Jack was hospitalized so though I did manage to plant way too many Louisiana irises in the new garden and a Paperbark Maple, and some shrubs, I also got to plant a climbing rose, Climbing Sunset, and an Oso Easy Mango Salsa in there.

If you saw my Ebb Tide you'd cry! Yours is glorious.

I do love seeing our own gardens from every window in the house. Even in snow I know what's coming and it's pure pleasure.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
9:09 PM

Post #9423857

"If you saw my Ebb Tide you'd cry!" - That is funny! Hmm - now I'm wondering what your Ebb Tide looks like! LOL!
Don't worry, I'm going to make a separate thread on how I grow my roses. I don't focus on N-P-K. I's all about soil biology. I don't feed the plants, I feed the soil! Nature and soil science takes care of the plants. 3 years in a row no use of insecticides and fungicides because there's no need to use them. You fight bad fungus with good fungus, if you get the idea. I promise I will discuss all these in details in a separate thread.

OMG! 500 alliums??!! That's crazy! I always tell myself to dig up my dahlias, but I just don't have the time to do it. I usually do it in the spring. Some survive our winter, and some don't.
Hope everything is well for Jack. You have to take it easy too. It's always exciting to prepare a new garden bed, but sometimes it gets too overwhelming! Looks like you got a big project going on.

More lilies for you:

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
9:47 PM

Post #9423875

Greenbrain - I like your screen name!

You ever opened a can of sardines? LOL! That's what my garden looks like! Literally almost every inch is planted.
I didn't plant the roses as hedges. It just look like that when its full. The gap varies from a foot of each other to about 2 feet. There's variation in height though. The shorter roses are in between or in the front/back of the taller ones. Then there's all sort of perennials or lilies plus a mix of annuals wherever there's a space (whatever little space left). Sometimes I feel so sorry for the lilies as they 'curve' their stalks going up because it gets tangled with the rose canes. Summer pruning is really essential with this method of planting.
I also would not recommend this if you're not practicing organic gardening. This is surely an invitation for powdery mildew, downy mildew and all kinds of fungal diseases. I had my share of those when I was using 'synthetic' fertilizers. I'll try to take a photo when I get the chance.

But for the meantime, more lilies - this time Doubled Hybrids and a lovely bouquet from the garden.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
10:32 PM

Post #9423897

More photos before I call it off for the night.

Rose Mallows - One planted right at the entrance of the driveway named 'Pink Elephant', when in full bloom with its massive blooms, always stop people in their tracks.
In case you wonder what is the tree w/ the white flowers - it's Pee Gee hydrangea.

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2013
10:40 PM

Post #9423902

My parting shots for now:
Lilium Superbum (Turk's Cap lily)
Scarlet Delight (oriental trumpet)
Specie Uchida with oriental Free Choice
and my favorite of all - Specie Rubrum

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9424214

Glad you had no hurricane damage...I really need to get over and see your gardens in person!!!!

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9424868

Thank you Tex68 for explaining how your plants are intermingled. That makes sense that you've staggered them. I do grow organically thanks to my 2 pet bunnies who provide lots of poo. I do have daffodils, tulips, daylilies, and irises among my roses, so I guess that's a start. Your photos do inspire me.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America