Germination of Chamillia Sinesus seeds

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi, I recently have come to have several Chamilia sinensis var sinensis seeds. I have tried germinating 3 so far with no (zero) luck. I soaked the seed(s) in water (room temp @ 68-75) before planting. I use a mix of potting soil, washed sand and bat guano(*50/45/5 mix). Light is HPS 600 watt, room temp is managed at 72-80 (light hours14hrs) and 68-72 (night hours). I have not tried a germination mat yet to maintain bottom heat at approx 72 constant. Any ideas, conditions I need to simulate? I know there are some hardwood type plants that actually wont germinate until exposed to smoke of burning strawgrass, others that want elevated PH levels. BTW - soil these are in is a PH of 5.7-5.8. Not sure if that is correct or not, but I do know Chamilia trees these can from in China (*parent tree is nearly 2000 yrs old!!) are in elevated acidic soil that is sandy loam. Any advise or pointers to information would be forever appreciated.

Brad B-n-Washington 茶是生命
"Cha' Dao - May your tea cup always provide peace and joy!"

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I often use ORGS Seed Germination Guide. Here's what they say for camellia

Germination Tips
Sow @ 20C. Seed germinates within 3 months.
Requires scarification. Nick or rub between sheets of sandpaper.
Requires soaking. Place in warm water until seeds swell, usually 24-48 hours. Discard floaters and water.

I got some from a seed exchange but the seeds were already germinated in the seed pack!

Good Luck
Tam

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.