Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Gladiolus Question..

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9162730

I posted a question in the Gladiolus forum a week ago but I have seen no activity there at all. I hope it is ok that I ask a question here.

I want to know if they are toxic. I have horses and I want to put them in a spot that is not overly accessible to the horses but their paths may cross.
gardenworm2
Standish, MI

June 12, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9162758

I have never heard of glads being toxic but someone may have more to say about it. I will look it up and see what I can find.

One thing that is toxic to animals is rhubarb. Feeding the leaves to small animals can kill them. We discovered this with rabbits by accident.

GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9162784

Hubby and I just went out and re-evalauated the area. We decided on a spot that is out of the horses reach.

I found something that said they are toxic but it seems to focus on the bulbs. I'm not worried that my horses will eat the bulbs but it makes me want to be more careful about the plant itself. --

I do not see them on this list http://www.noble.org/ag/pasture/horse-forage/poisonous-plant-considerations/

gardenworm2
Standish, MI

June 12, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9162797

Yes I did some looking and the corm is more toxic than the leaves but both have a certain level of toxicity. What I found was that on a scale of 1-10 it said that the glad would be a 1.

GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9163220

Thank you gardenworm2 for helping me look.

gts

GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9164570

Hubby is doing the plumbing and I'm going to plant my Glads this weekend. We live on 5 acres, the house is at the back and and my glads are going in to the side of the mouth of the drive way.. I can't wait.

The driveway is lined with Maple Trees on both sides. It looks like Sleepy Hollow on a moonlit night. I want to do plantings all along the very long driveway, but the sunlight varies from full sun to dappled shade.. None of it is heavily shaded,even with all those trees because they let a lot of light through. I may plant it in the fall or next spring but I need to work on a layout plan. Maybe I should start a different post for this and post pics of the area as well as lighting at different times of the day. Hopefully someone can offer some fantastic suggestions.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America