Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Perennials: Can I nudge plants to bloom earlier or later?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9162756

I have poppies (Beauty of Livermore) and lots of delphiniums in my perennial garden. They overlap just slightly. Late poppies with early delphiniums. I would just love for all of them to bloom together. Is there a way to get the poppies to bloom later or the delphiniums to bloom earlier?

TIA
LAS
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9162899

In The Well Tended Garden, the author prunes in a way to delay flowering in several types of perennials. She has experimented enough to be able to say what works and what doesn't... It might be a book worth looking into.

Pam
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

June 13, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9163345

Thanks, Pam. I found "The Well Tended Perennial Garden" at our library, by Tracy DiSabato-Aust. But not simply "The Well Tended Garden." Might that be the one you're recommending?

LAS
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9164081

Yes, that's it. I wrote from memory, I am not in the house where the book is at present. It's a great reference, I find, especially when she lists a particular plant I'm looking for help with. She's done a lot of experimental pruning, with varied results.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America