Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 12, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9162844

Saw the swallowtail seed site -- looking for ornamental grass seed. Stopped to look at the flowers...saw the many columbines offered... I think this will be my new favorite flower. Easy to grow, deer and rabbit resistant, self seeding and all colors, heights and shapes. There is even a new black for 2012. Just beautiful!! What do you think about this flower? Any negatives?

This message was edited Jun 13, 2012 4:44 PM

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9163650

For me, the "self seeding" part. They will come up everywhere. Not hard to pull up, but the sheer quantity can be daunting!! Still, I grow them in several areas because they are so pretty. I have native stands that are beautiful in early spring.

Doug
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 13, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9163847

Do the seeds come true after the escape into other areas? I plan on ordering a bunch of different types and wonder how far apart I should plant so no mixing of seeds. I did read that the plants self seed readily - I have spots in mind where that won't be a big deal. I can't seem to grow dalhia or aster (various reasons) and these colors and shapes make me feel less bad about that.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9164549

Mine that have self seeded have come true to form.

cinemike

cinemike
CREZIERES
France
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2012
2:04 AM

Post #9295409

Re: self seeding...
Columbines are notoriously prone to hybridisation, however some varieties are fairly stable ('Nora Barlow' and 'Mrs Scott Elliott', for example.
My strategy was to buy a couple of packets of mixed Aquilegia seeds from Chiltern Seeds from which I obtained over 70 plants. I have planted them out and then will ditch (or plant in the wild garden) all those that are not to my liking.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 4, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9295704

that is a great idea. but it seems to me that before we know it --the seeds are ripe and have sowed before we can catch. I will look for those two varieties and so no have to worry about getting out for the big seed roundup before it is too late.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America