Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: cornutia grandifolia (tropical lilac) seed germination

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 1, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

June 12, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9163014

has anyone had experience growing tropical lilac from seed? i just received some seeds and am ready to get started but haven't found germination instructions. also, some people refer to this plant as a 'tree" and some people refer to it as a "bush"...well, tree or bush i don't really care but i would like to find some information regarding how to germinate the seeds. the most specific instruction i've found to date is "grown easily from seed" so any additional information would be much appreciated. i am thinking that tree seeds probably should not be started in a peat pellet, but i'm just guessing.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

June 30, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9187436

i guess now i can answer my own question. i received seeds from two sources, smartseedstore.com and sunshine seeds in germany. the seeds look very much like peppercorns. i soaked them for over 24 hours in warm water and planted some outside and some in peat pellets. the first seedling appeared in a peat pellet 6 days after planting. the peat pellets were looking very wet, so 4 days after planting, i took the plastic lid off the peat pellet tray that allowed them some natural light and soft sunshine and also some good air circulation. i notice there is another seedling coming up in the prepared container that has been exposed to the elements outside.

Thumbnail by vitrsna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America