AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9163018

The question is why do some of you more southern gardeners grow peppers every year if they are hardy zone 8 and higher. I am presuming what I have read is wrong , some info please.
I got that reading about pepper trees.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9163224

Peppers ( Capsicum) are grown as annuals in Z 8. While tender perennials like tomatoes they are very susceptible to frost. Pepper tree usually refers to small trees in the genus Schinus. no relation to garden peppers.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9164366

I have never seen a pepper survive a freeze unprotected. It gets down into the teens every year here. The only way they survive is to grow them in pots as house plants.

Odd as it might seem I'm growing about 20 pepper plants, of different varieties in my laundry room this year. They have not made it out to the garden yet, and there is very little room left. I'm also growing some in containers on my back and side decks. They are all blooming and setting fruit. Since I want to save seeds from these, many of them are hard to find or expensive to buy, I have found it much easier to grow them this way. I'll I do is move them when the flowers start to open, let them set and move them back. By growing them in containers Ive noticed they bloom at different times. I just didn't realize they would bloom and grow so well inside, or on a covered deck.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9164392

Wanted to add thank you for the info ,I have grown one as a house plant some time ago. I had also heard about some talk about a mango tree in Florida but I guess that must be tropical key west talk.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9164583

juhur7 - we had a beautiful mango tree in our Palm Beach County garden - I still miss that tree (sigh)
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9172516

We grow mango trees here but the only perennial peppers I've seen survive freezes are the chile piquins. If we don't get a freeze other peppers will live year round but the fruit gets smaller and smaller on most varieties.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9172853

I've know people around here that have Chiltepin pepper plants year round. They lose their leaves during the winter. I'm suprised they survive threw the winter but I know they are natives.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America