What's for dinner? (Part 33)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow - 33 parts already! We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1258535/

Well, tonight's dinner was late (watering plants and Mr. Official's work schedule), but we did eat some new stuff: jalapeno potato-chip crusted chicken with a creamy buttermilk and jalapeno sauce drizzled on top. Sides of black beans with peppers and a sweet corn cake that needs some serious tweaking of the original recipe.

So what's cooking in your kitchen?

Thumbnail by Terry
Columbus, OH

Bibimbap, fresh cucumber pickle to go with it.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Looks like fritata for breakfast this morning.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the new thread Terry. Last night was the old favorite: bbq chicken, fresh corn on the cob, smashed garlic taters (I didn't have any milk so used a small carton of cottage cheese), fresh bread. Cranberry oatmeal cookies for desert. Yummy. Dunno what's cooking for tonight. Terry, can you share the buttermilk jalapeno sauce recipe?

Quote from MaryMcP :
Terry, can you share the buttermilk jalapeno sauce recipe?

Sure - it was easy.

Buttermilk Jalapeno Sauce
1/4 cup mayo - can use light or regular
1/4 cup sour cream - can use light or Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh buttermilk
1 tablespoon Ranch Dressing mix (you could substitute your own herbs and seasonings if you prefer)
5-6 slices of jalapeno, chopped (I keep a jar of chopped jalapenos on hand, so I just tossed in enough to look "right")
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I used diced)
dash cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt (I skipped it - figured the dressing mix had plenty o'sodium)

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

thanks for the new thread Terry!

Leslie - thinking of trying bibimbap myself. We went out to a smorgasbord last night - free dinner on your birthday. :-)

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Leftovers tonight - choice of chili or hamburgers. I'll see what DH prefers...

Left overs tonight.

Probably catch-as-catch can here. It's Wednesday and we're all headed out the door (Swimmer Girl is gone swimming with a friend and won't be back until after 8 tonight; Mr. Official never gets home for dinner before we head out the door on Wednesdays and Middle Soon finished off some of last night's leftover chicken and fixins.)

If things go according to plan, you'll find me settled into a comfy chair at 8, with a bowl of popcorn and the new Dallas series fired up. Not highbrow entertainment, but hopefully highly entertaining!

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

We had wild alaskan salmon w/a medley of mushroom, kale, onion & red pepper. Tasted so good!
Tam

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Celene - that looks like something to look forward to! Let us know if its as good as it sounds.

Tam

Columbus, OH

I will report back with DH's review.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I picked my first zucchini of the season today, halfway steamed them and then sautéed in coconut oil and dried coconut flakes. Ground sirloin patty on the side. Vanilla Håagen Dazs ice cream in the freezer will be dessert. Sure wish I had some fresh fruit for a topping.

My new doc wants me to make some dietary changes for my thyroid by eliminating goitrogenic foods. I knew some of them, but didn't know gluten was high on the list. SusanKC sent me a gluten-free link and I'll have to do some research myself. Cruciferous veggies (which I love) are also very goitrogenic, but apparently steaming/cooking them nullifies the effect.

Darius - Look at the celiac foundation for information also. http://www.csaceliacs.info/

Celene, thanks for that link; looks like a great source for interesting recipes, and the chicken sounds delicious!

Darius, Ben & Jerry's is the only ice cream, except for organic varieties, that doesn't use milk from cows treated with hormones, fyi...

Leslie, thanks for the reminder. I researched (and wrote) about milk with rBGH (bovine growth hormone) back in 2010, and if I remember correctly, Starbucks ice cream is also made with hormone-free milk. I almost never buy ice cream anymore, but just had a yen for some lately. None of the stores in my town or surrounding towns carry very much variety in ice creams, generally just the cheaper ones with all the fillers. No Haagen Dazs except one store 30 miles away, and what B&J's I see never include any plain-jane flavors. There IS a Starbucks store down near the state line but I seldom get down that way, and any ice cream would be melted by the time I got back home.

Missouri City, TX

Thanks for the new thread.

Watching food shows today - no sold food - liquid only today - dr's orders -Oh Boy!!

Columbus, OH

Tammy, the reviews on the chicken are good. I added one small sliced onion with the cherry tomatoes, and some garlic, and some aleppo pepper.

Celene - Thanks for the link. The recipes posted there do sounds good including the one you made.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I finally got my fresh pesto. I made a turkey pasta dish with all my extra veggies - green beans, red pepper, kale, swiss chard, onion & mushrooms as well as a batch of fresh pesto. Oh it was so good! I love being home & able to cook.

Tam

I'm thinking...burgers. I had an old filling removed and replaced today, and the left side of my face is throbbing. But I'm pretty sure I can get my jaw opened enough to eat a burger :-)

Burgers, fresh strawberries, carrots, and a muffin.

Eat hearty for moi, Susan. My dining partner hasn't called to say he's left the office yet, which doesn't bode well for dinner . (Heaven help me if I ever have to regularly cook for myself. Popcorn and cheese and crackers will probably constitute "dinner" if/when I find myself in that predicament :-)

Yes. Same here. DH had a last minute forgot he had an appointment. Dinner was going to be salmon and salad. Too much work so cooked a burger and ate raw uncut veggies.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I can't imagine managing a burger with a throbbing jaw. Hope it's all better today, Terry. I also can't imagine you on that "alone" diet. Shape up girl. A day without a garbage can salad is like a day without sunshine.

We are having a big fat roasted chicken with roasted celery and purple, red and gold potatoes. Also on the menu are sauteed Vidalia onions and broccoli with recently harvested garlic. I'm hoping to parlay the remains into burrito fillings tomorrow night.

Bubba...you okay?

I made a huge pot of Cheddar Corn Chowder today, enough to fill my Dutch oven to the very brim. 10 ears fresh corn cut off the cob, 1/2 pound applewood smoked bacon, 6 cups chopped onions, 2 pounds diced red potatoes, 1/2 pound grated sharp cheddar, 12 cups chicken stock, 2 cups half 'n half... plus flour, butter, olive oil and seasonings that included turmeric. I'll have some tomorrow after the flavors meld overnight, and most of the rest will be frozen in single-serving size.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I'll be right over to help you with that chowder Darius. :-)

Leftovers here for dinner - a little squash & lentil stew & a little pesto pasta.

Tam

Dinner was beef tacos made with ground beef, beans, carrots, peppers, salsa, mango, and spinach. Turned out well.

Cron chowder does sound good.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Please ma'am????

Thumbnail by meezersfive

DH went clamming today so we're having steamers tomorrow. I'll have to see whether the farm market down the road has corn to go with it, but it's probably too early. And maybe I'll make a zucchini casserole; that goes well.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

And what is your recipe for zucchini casserole? :-)

Tam

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Corn chowder.....I'll help Tammy help you Darius. Sounds great. and I can do popcorn for dinner, no prob!

Tonight was to be jalapeno crusted chicken with creamy buttermilk jalapeno sauce, but alas ..... just now home, about three hours later than expected. Maybe tomorrow. We'll just barbee that chicken breast and add a baked sweet potato....longgg day.

Tammy, it's something I made up myself. Sauté sliced zucchini with onions, salt to taste, and then dump them in a casserole - the size depending on how much zucchini you have, of course - and cover with milk and egg - one egg per cup of milk. Add grated cheese and bake in a preheated oven until firm. You could also add cooked potatoes to it to make it more substantial, but we usually don't. It's a nice side dish for a light meal like steamed clams, and it's got protein AND veggies.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Go the link below and this is a recipe for zucchini casserole I make and it is very good.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1203109/

Debbie

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I've tried just about every recipe I could find for summer squash, as those here probably remember from a couple years ago. :-) And I'm always trolling for another. I did plant summer squash this spring so you'll all probably hear me talking about this again.

I went to the Allentown Farmers Market today - its one of the oldest in the country. While there are a lot of produce stands, there's also a lot of prepared foods. I got some mozzerella cheese w/sun dried tomatoes (graaskaas ??) and a beautiful salad with fresh greens, goat cheese, strawberries & figs. Made a delicious lunch!

Tam

Tam, my favorite summer squash recipe is generally sautéed in coconut oil and dehydrated coconut flakes. However, I picked up some multi-colored pattypans this morning which I will marinate in EVOO and garlic, then grill. YUM.

There is always the chocolate zuchinni cake/bread/muffin recipe also.

Just put up some apricot and plum jam. Looks like it turned out okay.

Dinner is salmon something. DH is cooking tonight.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Dinner tonight, fresh green beans from the garden, grilled hamburger patties, pasta salad, and maybe some cupcakes...haven't decided as of yet.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Speaking of jams and such - a friend has me all interested in lacto fermenting. I'm just starting a batch of dill pickles, I have a grape vine so can use those leaves, home grown garlic and red onion, also added two garden grown (I repeat myself alot) kung pao chili peppers - takes less than 10 days for the cukes, longer for kraut. She gave me some of her sauerkraut and it's wonderful.

BTW, can anyone tell me if the sauerkraut will lose it's healthy benefits (all those good bacteria) if I use it as the base for a pork loin in the slow cooker - long, slow temps?

Here's the site with the recipe I'm using:

http://www.learningherbs.com/fermented_foods.html

Thumbnail by MaryMcP

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.