Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: "Full Sun" they said...

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
grapeleaves
Pleasant Hill, CA

June 13, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9163569

I'm an amateur gardener in Northern California (east bay to be specific, zone 9 I think) and I'm wondering:
I have a number of plants that are recommended "Full Sun." However, one day of full sun and these plants are wilting and spotting and drying. I try to keep the plants regularly watered (I grow both flowers and vegetables) but I wonder if that is my problem, drought, or if this California sun is just too much.

Your advice is appreciated.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9163598

What plants? Some can handle full sun but do need lots of water.
grapeleaves
Pleasant Hill, CA

June 13, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9163792

Thank you for your reply. Here are some examples of some plants of mine that struggle in the sun:

Silver mint (potted to avoid it spreading, leaves burn in the sun)
Lemon basil (recently transplanted into my raised bed a few days ago, wilted but puckers up a bit after I water)
Squash (Always spots and dries at the first hot day and remains unhealthy looking through the rest of the season)
Blackberry (potted to avoid spreading, leaves burned up in the sun)

I have a weeper hose set up through my raised beds but not for my potted plants. Should I have the hose on a drip at all times? Would watering my potted plants more frequently be the solution? Or do I need to move them?
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

June 13, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9163941

Potted plants dry out a LOT quicker. So do raised beds. Sounds like you need to water more frequently.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9164138

If you had them in a shadier area (or bought them from a nursery that may have had them in a shadier area) you need to adjust them gradually to being in full sun, otherwise they can sunburn (even if it's a plant that ultimately would be fine in full sun). Also, this area has relatively hot summers (not as bad as some areas of the country, but hot enough!) so sometimes plants that are labeled full sun will appreciate a little shade in the heat of the day. This is especially true for things in pots--I keep all my pots in areas where they get some shade in the afternoon, otherwise the pots get too hot and the roots of the plant get cooked (planting in light colored pots can help with this, as can potting in a larger pot than would normally be ideal, but if they're getting full sun all afternoon this can still be an issue).

This is also a bad time of year to plant things in the garden--I've had really terrible luck with things that I plant/transplant this time of year. Sometimes they'll make it, but they suffer quite a lot of stress along the way and sometimes even though I'm really careful about watering, etc they will die anyway. Late fall when the rains are starting is the best time to plant, or else very early in the spring when it's still raining and you've got a few months before the weather gets hot. For the lemon basil & squash if they're planted out in the garden, you could try rigging up a little shade for them for a few weeks to help them get their roots going without that extra stress from the hot sun every day.
grapeleaves
Pleasant Hill, CA

August 20, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9247652

Thanks! Good to hear from a gardener in my area. =D

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America