Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rplindsay
West Palm Beach, FL

June 13, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9164078

I have a coconut palm in my backyard that I haven't paid much attention to since I bought my house. Upon close examination I have found that it has a huge hole in the center - you can see right through to the other side. The tree seems healthy otherwise. The hole appears to be getting larger and I have been unable to identify what is causing this.

I'm assuming this tree is pretty much going to die when the first strong windstorm/hurricane comes and blows the crown off. I have 5 more coconut palms in my front yard that I've just noticed small holes forming near the base. I'm not sure if it's the same disease/insect causing these small holes.

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this and what can be done? Thanks for your help!

Thumbnail by rplindsay   Thumbnail by rplindsay   Thumbnail by rplindsay   Thumbnail by rplindsay
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 14, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9164531

That's quite bizarre, never seen anything like that. I've seen where a trunk has been mechanically damaged on the outside and starting some rot. But nothing going straight through like that. You should check around the neighbourhood and see if it's happening elsewhere. If it is then likely the plant nurseries would know about it and give you some advice.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9166267

holes are often caused by beetles (not here in California, but a common Florida problem)... but if not beetles, some other creature perhaps.
tarziesgirl
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #9273731

Have you noticed woodpeckers? They can make some serious holes.

Erin

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Palms and Cycads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
help repot ponytail palm abigailfaith 15 Mar 18, 2008 12:40 AM
2000 year Phoenix seed germinates growin 3 Jun 17, 2008 3:30 PM
Help Treating for Scale on Sago Palm spicerd 36 Jan 28, 2010 5:04 PM
How to propagate a pony tail palm dogmansis 9 May 24, 2008 12:29 PM
Sago palm turning yellow deb741 17 Apr 17, 2008 6:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America