Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

June 13, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9164447

I am thinking of moving to Tyler Texas. Anybody live there or close to there?
lizzieshome52
East Texas, TX

June 14, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9164553

I live about approx. 75 miles south of tyler...we go there a lot...where I live we have a dollar general and a mobil mart,lol. we go to tyler to do a lot of our shopping. very nice place...growing by leaps and bounds
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

June 14, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9165582

Thanks Lizzie. I lived in Houston for 5 years plus I saw the HGTV dream home built on the lake there (My favorite of all the dream homes). My husband has a job opportunity there and I am so excited, even though my hair freaks out in the humidy!! :-)
lizzieshome52
East Texas, TX

June 18, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9170487

It has been humid! I think you would really like it there
gabriell
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9172069

I live in Tyler, born and bred.It is a wonderful place to live. Good schools and very church oriented.We have always been "dry" but there is a petition in the works for an election to go" wet".Now there is an uprising of people who are opposed.It will beinteresting.

We do have hot humid summers but we are just used to it. I think you can adapt.Email me if you have any more questions.
Mibus2
(Phyllis) Flint,, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9175221

WE moved to Tyler Area almost 6 years ago now from northern Illinois and I love it
As gabriell says it is very church oriented and has some good schools in the area.
Very friendly folks and a number of places near the lakes for sale.

Plenty of places to go out to eat and shop
and some Great nurseries for buying plants

but then when I moved here I joined DG and made some great Friends and the majority of my plants were given to me at swaps
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

June 22, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9175653

Thanks for the feed back. My husband goes on Monday for a job interview. I am glad to hear they have some good nurseries there as sometimes I go just to window shop and see what is new (but usually don't leave enmpty handed :-) ).

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9176288

Good luck to your husband!
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

June 23, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9177067

Thanks Carrie
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

June 26, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9182707

How well do tomatoes grow there? What else do you love to grow there (besides the roses and azaleas)?

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9183119

Almost anything does well
here, except delphiniums
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9183126

I'll bounce in late. We also moved to NE Texas from Chicago area, have been here a little over five years now. We're north and west of Tyler and really like it. We do go into Tyler quite a bit. A bit congested for us (moved here to get away from that), but do enjoy the restaurants and parks when we go there. I actually picked this area in part because Chamblee's is in Tyler (and now a division of David Austin). One can grow many things here! Good luck to hubbie in his job interview and it is a nice place to live! Can get country or small city in the Tyler area and also don't have to drive very far to get to Dallas or even Houston or Austin for a big city fix and shopping every once a year or so!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9183503

We're 40 miles north and shop in Tyler. I think part of the success of Tyler, is that is situated in the middle of an agricultural region. Tyler is a smallish city, or larger town, depending on how you look at it. So many smaller surrounding towns rely on shopping there. Tyler is large enough to have one of everything (except W-mart, there's two, maybe three of them).

Tyler has the rose festival, the surrounding towns have lots of agricultural festivals, cane syrup, sweet potatoes, watermelon, salt, peanut butter, strawberries, tomatoes. If it grows here, we celebrate it ;0)

Be sure and check out the monthly bloom thread on the Texas forum, it will give good idea of what we can grow here.

It's worth mentioning again, Tyler is an ultra conservative community, it's what draws many to the area. But again, I'm an outsider and might just be socializing with the wrong crowd.lol

Good luck to your husband!

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

June 28, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9184568

Wow I feel like I have friends there already :-) I love all the information. Terri, I am looking to get out of such a big city too. Looking for a little slower pace. Cocoa my husband will love hearing there is a peanut butter festival and I will definitely check out the monthly blooms
Mibus2
(Phyllis) Flint,, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9185012

Yep Cocoa is right there are walmarts and there are 3 of them
Brookshire's is the grocery store mostly and there are plenty of them all over town and they all have a branch of a bank in them.
and yes church is a popular thing in the area and that is not to say church is bad at all.

Before we moved down here I did some research on the area and Tyler is like #1 for retirement community as we have plenty of doctors and hospitals in the area.
5 yrs ago Tyler was 8% cheaper cost of living then Rockford Ilinois and 11% from Champaign - Urbana

It does get congested on the loop especially at the time school/work starts and when it gets out at 4 til 6 pm, but depending on where you are going there is always an alternate route you can take instead of the loop that might be just as fast if not faster.

I love the fact I am able to grow things almost year round and that includes veggies.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9185214

We live about an hour away - in
a little town - just close enough to
Dallas to take advantage of
medical, shopping and restaurants
and the be able to pop back home.

I have two drivers who iive in Tyler
who love it !

Yje main thing you would need to
get used to - and I say this lovingly,
is that east Texas accent.

What did hubby think when he
interviewed ?

I personally think yall would love
it here. *yes I AM prejudiced)
but you DO already have friends
here!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9185662

We're just south of Austin and our son went to Tyler Junior College several years ago. We made several trips to Tyler and really liked it. Tyler is a very big rose growing area with 4 or 5 big nurseries there. One trip we picked up almost 40 rose bushes to bring back for ourselves and friends. Not too bad a price at $2 each. We still have about 12 along our front fence.

Like they said, the area's growing. I hope they've finally got the road construction finished...
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9185962

I'm glad you brought the hospitals, Phylis. Hopefully, you'll never need them Val, but incase you do, the medical facilities are outstanding.

I've been trying to think of some other things...the zoo landscaping is gorgeous in the spring time!
My favorite nursery.. http://www.bluemoongardens.com/Events.html

Oh, and Tyler is only a short drive to America's largest flea market.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9186600

I lived in Tyler from 1996 to 1998, transferred there from Houston by my company. It was culture shock for me. The evening news was very different from the evening news in Houston. It had a much slower pace and I thought some aspects of the town were 30 yrs behind Houston. It has extremely good medical facilities attracting patients from 2-3 hours away for care and is quite a commercial hub with many state highways crossing there. It is in the "piney woods" of East Texas and is quite hilly with the red soil so loved by pine trees. I lived in an apt in Tyler so was unable to garden outdoors which I missed so much. Im back in Houston now, retired and happy. I love my city with all its diversity, tolerance, art, music, museums, vibrant economy, and access to almost anything. Houston has no zoning laws so a neighbor down the street has free roaming guineas and one can paint their house purple if they like. I grew up in the country and and I dont miss it very much. I like the city much better. Just my 2 cents!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9188417

Hi Had to put in my two cents worth. We brought up our girls in Overton and my DH worked at GE (NOW TRANE) in Tyler, Till he retired. It's a great place. The Zoo is great and last i knew was free. Jacksonville not far south has great Nurserys,with great sales. People are friendly in general. I go back to visit at least once a year.
Plan on becoming a big football fan.
The wild flowers in the spring will take your breath away. There are no mountains nor beaches but the
scenery is beautiful. Like rolling hills. Paved country roads that beg for you to see whats around the next curve. The U OF Texas has a campus there and Tyler JR College is tops too.
Texas A&M has a research center in Overton. You'll also find some beautiful old homes around. The only downer is the hot humid summers, But the mild winters make up for it.
Hope you injoy your new home.
Vickie
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

July 1, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9188568

Well the interview went well and we should know by next week. Steadycam, thank for your 2 cents. I would rather have several opinions so I can form realistic expectations. Even though I have lived in a big city for most of my life, I have lived in small town and even out in the country of Chickasha, OK (that is were my Dad lived) and enjoyed those places. Baja Blue, I love the Texas accent and the southern hospitality. Cando1 I am not a fan of the beach (I know this makes me a rare breed), but I will take a lake over the ocean although I do love mountains. I understand there are a lot of lakes around the area. I know there are more bugs in East Texas :-), humidity (which the plants should love) and apparently from your forums --- snakes. I checked out the pictures of the Dallas Arboretum and it looks amazing. Has anyone been there?
I want to the you all for the information and please keep it coming.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9189957

Fingers crossed for your husband--I remember that "in between" period of not knowing, and it's not easy at all.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9195247

Good luck to him!

Yes, the Dallas Arboretum is beautiful, except in the hottest parts of the summer. My family has planned on going in the fall to see the Dale Chihuly exhibit. I believe that ends in November, maybe you will be settled by then :0) The DA also has big displays of tulips and iris in the spring, too, it's wonderful!

You''l also have to plan a road trip to the sunken gardens in San Antonio. Lots of koi pods, waterfalls and garden built in the bottom of an old quarry, very cool.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9195766

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/285/

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9196905

I realize this probably never crosses anyones minds- Tyler does have a lot of diversity, only thing that ever irritated me in Tyler was the very bad habit of everyone tailgating, even griped at a county sheriff once and he laughed and admitted itwas true, chuckl. What drawl? That's just sugar on the icing.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 8, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9198434

I am looking at moving to Tyler or somewhere around it. I am also trying to get Smockette to move out that way too. Forgetting Phyllis and Coco, I told her she need to move there because I didn't know anyone there. Phyllis is really serious, but I could clown around with Lynea and Linda. lol We probably have a lot more Dgers out that way. Some one need to do a Plant Swap out that way. So I can come for the weekend. :)
Mibus2
(Phyllis) Flint,, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9199849

What? I am serious???? LOL
Well better stay away from me then when I'm not serious I could get you into trouble LOL

I thought since a spring swap didn't work that I would try again in the fall for one..unless someone else wants to do it instead

And Kittrina I have to agree the tailgating and the lack of turn signals is a pain, but it is mostly in the mornings around school time and after school/work it is the worst, but I have noticed it is just as bad in the humble area when I have visited my daughter down there. :-)

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 10:52 PM
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

July 9, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9199872

hmm think this made a left turn I didn't follow. Must have been the lack of signals.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9199983

Yup ~ that's east Texas for you. We don't need no turn signals, we just assume everyone knows where we're going. lol Maybe not as far north as Tyler but down here... sheese!

Wishing you luck if this move really is what you want. Kristi

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9200016

Yup, Humble IS bad- tho Huntsville has the worst Texas drivers bar none, everything goes there! Good luck guys!
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9200747

I moved from AJ Az to about 60 miles south of Tyler.. be prepared for the humidity.. my firit summer here it felt like I was breathing underwater everytime I went out side..lol.. My friend from mesa that was here in april she thought it was bad then..lol its way different from AZ but youll get used to it..
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 11, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9201643

The only thing I dislike about Tyler is my ex in laws live there and have my 800.00 dollar micro convect that my ex D H stole from me.Other than that , there are good 4 lane hwys everywhere to help you get around easy . Lots of second hand antique places that are reasonable , usually out in someones front yard .
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 12, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9203318

Digger if you ever get down this way I will go with you to get that convection oven. lol I have always wanted to try one out.
Phyllis yes you are serious remember those flowers you scooped up at that swap for your daughters wedding? LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 12, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9203354

That was years ago Sylvia .I even went to court over that and many more items that were mine when I married the B- - - - - d . Community property taken out of Louisiana . In La, when you get married , every thing you have becomes half your husbands .
I got the last laugh tho , I out lived all of them .AND half his retirement , which still comes in today .The teamsters are GOOD !
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 13, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9203704

Digger, You go girl!!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9203934

I kinda sorry to hear that, Digger. I envisioned Sylvia going after that convection oven in military special OPs style... with hosta covered camouflage ;0)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 13, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9203955

Would have been fun , huh?
The same aunt and uncle in Tyler bought the camp house next to us on a lake in Ark . When they got too blind to drive from Tyler, they gave it to the nephew , my ex by then .He died about four years ago and his son scattered his ashes in the yard where his dad enjoyed sitting , watching the lake .After three years of trying to sell my house , next door , I found a cash buyer to take it and don't have to worry about the wind blowing dust in my face from that yard . LOL
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9204060

An OPs mission with hosta camouflage??? I don't grow hostas any more (as least not 'till I have some shade), but I've got lots of rose clippings, pulled up weeds, dead oak and pecan branches...So count me in. If we can't go get the convection oven there must be something else in Tyler we can "re-aquire". ☺

(words just don't look like they are spelled right for me today!!!)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 13, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9204078

Yeh , when we get through with Tyler , we can attack Dallas .
Tyler is a laid back small city with low wages , low prices , good southern folks with a small town attitude that welcomes all new people into the fold and anyone looking for a slow paced lifestyle would love it . Not to say that there aren't high paying jobs there , just depends on what field you are in . I understand they have a good police , sheriff dept too.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9204141

Digger, next time get a pre-nup! I've had some nasty ex- experiences.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9204453

Tsk, tsk, Terri. Sylvia is not going like the fact you don't have any hostas :0) shade or no shade

I was looking through some old pictures today and thought of another garden you'll need to visit, Val.
Mrs.Lee's Garden, outside of Gilmer, is open a few weeks during Daffodil season. I don't remember the exact size. It's a couple of miles of trails with nothing but daffodils. Very cherry!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 14, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9204879

No next time , Carri , four times is enough .Like pets , when this one goes , no more pets .
Tired of cooking , picking up , laundry , shutting cabinet doors , washing dishes , hollering , "Clean your sink and toilet " , cleaning the shower ,doing all the yard work ,hauling hoarder junk to the dump,. and putting up with a 45 year old step daughter that thinks it's all about her and her kids . His boys are treasures .
Shut up Sally , the paycheck is very good . LOL
It really isn't that bad , but why is it a man retires and a woman never does ?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9204982

Wow, I enjoy my stepchildren now, but it was a long time coming. I wasn't implying there should be a next time, that's totally up to you, of course.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 14, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9205359

Didn't even think that, Carrie . A lot of us on here could start a whole 100 page thread about the past . LOL
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

July 15, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9205796

Thanks Cocoa the picture of the Daffodils is definately cheery.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 15, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9205808

I thought daffodils only bloomed in the early spring . That shows how much I know about them . So pretty .
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9205996

Your welcome, Val.

Digger, old photo from springtime:0) You know your daffs just fine!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 15, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9206318

Never had any , but I just love them .
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 15, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9206514

Digger, they are easy to grow. I got a box almost full of them in the outside fridge. I bought them last fall, had surgery and never got around to planting them. Want some? Dmail me a address. They are yellow.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9206876

Oh, but I used to have hosta! Old ones that came with the house (built in 1917) and new ones from the fancy, yuppie nursery up the road!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9207000

Have you met Sylvia? She's our 'go to' gal for anything hosta! And a lot of fun too :0)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9207021

I have, but I'm not doing hosta's now as I have NO shade at this point. Should be about five more years and some of the trees we've planted will throw enough shade to start thinking of hostas, etc. Right now I'm just trying to get the roses and veg garden established and then keep the weeds out LOL!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9207041

I hear you, my shade is disappearing! We counted thirty dead trees we need to take down and a few near the house are showing signs of hypoxylon canker. So far we have taken down two.lol At this rate we'll be done in fifteen years. I need to get some saplings in and stop pulling all the oak seedlings or I'll have no trees left.

City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 17, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9208978

Get those HYBRID POPLARS, they grow 20 feet in two years and they are dirt cheap. I suggest potting them up for about a year though. You have to order them online, they dont sell them around here.
http://www.eburgess.com
http://www.excitinggardens.com
After your real trees grow you can chop them down for firewood. :)

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9209011

YES hybrid poplars DO grow fast BUT THEY ARE NOT WORTH
YOUR TIME MONEY OR EFFORT !

tHEY ARE SUPER TRASHY !

DONT LIVE LONG, ARE BTITTLE and usually are not a nice shape.

I'll take chinaberry over poplar anytime !

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9209015

Val,sorry your thread has been
hijacked so badly .. any news
about the job ?
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 17, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9209091

The Hybrids are better. sorry Val, I am through. :)
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

July 17, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9209601

No problem on the Hijacking. He received the job offer yesterday and he is close to accepting. Yay!!!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9209888

☺! Good for you all.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9209983

That is wonderful news, Val! Wishing you and your family a smooth transition!

Sylia, thank you so much! I think the hybrids will work great! I did some research on them last night and looks like they are very easy from cuttings, too. I'm going to get some cuttings this winter. The west side of my house is turning into a sweat box!

Thanks Baja, I'm aware of the unsavory Lombardy Poplar. However, the hybrids really do seem different and chinaberries are invasive in my part of Texas...Of course, the drought had little effect on my invasives.lol
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 18, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9210067

My neighbor across the back fence in Texas has a china berry he refuses to get rid of . I pull and dig up seedlings each fall when we get there to spend the winter . I 'm strongly considering ringing that tree if I catch him gone .I hope the roots get into his septic system .
The poplar I was referring to is the yellow poplar ,known locally by some as tulip poplar . Beautiful but a very soft ,week tree that is native on the east coast .
Ash is another to stay away from. After several years when they are too big to cut easy , the big limbs start splitting and dropping . Whole neighborhoods north of Austin , in Round Rock planted with them when developed

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 10:40 AM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9218010

That's how invasives get to be that way. Droughts are supposed to affect everybody equally--invasives have an unfair advantage, somehow, and they survive and out-compete the natives.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 25, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9218012

Hope the neighbor doesn't discover mimosa , or black gum

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9218218

Wellll, Val !

whars the latest ?

Will you be coming to
a round up this fall in TX ?

(will be starting a new thread on
hybrid poplars ...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 25, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9218702

Did he take the job yet ?
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

July 25, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9218921

Yes, he accepted the job. He is finalizing the details. He will go out to Texas first. My youngest daughter is finishing her last year of high school so we will have a staggered transition, but i can't wait. I woke up the other morning and was dreaming of living in a house with much more greenery around me than here in Phx, AZ. It made me smile. I know that comes with the humidity , but that is what keeps the plant from frying like they do here. I am looking forward to growing new things, meeting new people and slowing down a bit. Plus I know I have new friend out there. :-)

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9219252

Wonderful, Val. I think Arizona is beautiful, but can see how such a move would open up your gardening options, very excited for you :0)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9219341

Congratulations!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 26, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9219491

There will be a lot to see in NE Texas
gabriell
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9219862

That's good news.When you get here maybe we can have lunch.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

July 26, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9220008

Gabriell, Thanks! I am looking forward to it. I intend to spend as much time there over the next 10 months as possible (that is when my daughter graduates). We have lots of friends in Houston, but I am looking forward to having someone closer by. My Husband leaves here on August 17th :-( and my daughter starts her senior year Aug 8. My oldest daughter is marrying her fiancée who just joined the Navy, in January and moving to Florida, so we will be closer to them as well.
LOL. I feel like I am writing the next chapter to days of my lives or something. Anyways, I already feel welcome there. I love the southern hospitality.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

August 5, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9230529

OK Who is going to plan a Fall Swap out this way? I would love to go to Hempstead, but its more than 200 miles away. I even have a few newbies to invite.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

August 23, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9251140

Just wanted to update everyone. My husband moved to Tyler last Friday and is on his fourth day at work. I can't wait to go visit him and see it for myself.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 23, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9251430

Come on ,,,Come on !

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9252636

could you try to come during a roundup ?
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

September 2, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9262434

Wonderful!!!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9264617

Congratulations! I went through the move to Texas much in the same way as you--husband moved first, then I finished up with rehab of our old house and sold it, then moved too! Our younger son did not want to leave school at first, but once he went down to visit a few time and made friends he decided it wasn't that important and he moved and graduated down here...Stressful but fun all in one! Best of luck!
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

September 4, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9265131

Thanks terri. My first visit with my daughter will be in October. My husband sends me lots of pictures and he likes the guys he works with. BTW, they told him about a magazoine called guns and gardening. I had to laugh when I thought about who might be the target audience. I have subscribed to birds & blooms, but just because I like the birds and flowers.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9265218

Guns & Garden is out of South Carolina. http://gardenandgun.com/ The magazines I've seen don't have very impressive gardening articles.

IMO, http://www.texasgardener.com/currentissue/index.html is the most informative and is able to cover all the diverse plants and gardening areas of this large state.

Hoping the weather will be nice and you will enjoy your trip in October... Welcome to Texas!
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

September 4, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9265255

Thanks Podster. I ordered the magazine. Can't wait for my first issue.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9266068

Haha...target audience for Guns & Garden...=~))

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America