Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Fruit: Will Persimmon tree that is grown from root bear fruit?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Fruit
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FruitReplies: 2, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cholgreenhouse
Burlington, MA

June 14, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9164865

I have an 8-years old Japanese FUYU Persimmon Tree and it has many new plants from the root of this tree. I dug these young trees out from the large tree and replant them. I am wondering if these trees will bear fruits in the future. Someone told me that the trees that are grown from the root will never have fruits. Is that true?
Thanks for your answer.
Bill123
Ellijay, GA

July 16, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9207214

These plants will be the native American Persimmon. They will need a pollinator so the more you have the greater the chance of pollination.
KnightWorks
Eugene, OR
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9231481

Probably your Fuyu tree was grafted to either the D lotus rootstock, or the American Persimmon rootstock, or something specific to your area. So taking this start from the roots does not give you a Fuyu Persimmon. According to fruit writer Lee Reich, American Persimmon grown from seed rarely produces tasty fruits.

But you do have a free source of rootstock for grafting, and you have a tree you like that fruits as a source of scion wood. That could be really fun to learn about and play around with, unless you or the person you want to give it too is impatient for fruit. Cheers.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America