Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

May Night Salvia Deadheading Gone Wrong - Help

(Zone 5b)

Well, I took the advice of deadheading the May Night Salvia and nothing is coming back. I cut them down to the bush as suggested and they are not coming back. To throw them out???? Yikes.

Thumbnail by RenzoToronto Thumbnail by RenzoToronto
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Renzo, the plant in your picture is not May Night Salvia (S Nemorosa)

http://www.nichegardens.com/catalog/item.php?id=1911

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I agree--that's not May Night salvia. But whatever it is looks healthy so why not leave it and see if it blooms so you can figure out what you do have? The leaves look like a plant I just added this year called Thrift.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Your plant is a grass, judging from the seedheads that are visible.

(Zone 5b)

right, sorry not salvia, that is my other dying plant, this is thrift.

i did dead head my salvia too and not coming back. it is been about a month.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Even if you deadheaded too much it shouldn't effect the root system, you should see some growth again

Alexandria, MN

I only deadhead my salvia to lateral buds and then get the smaller blooms. That is the end of it for me. Fall comes early here.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Gardening....sure hope you put that armeria in the ground before fall sets in...it should overwinter in the ground, but in the pot you have a chance of loosing it unless you winter water.....pix is Armeria maritima Bee's Hybrids, 18", blooms off and on all summer....

Salvias normally bloom the whole season....deadheading will encourage new blooms to develop, give 'em a few weeks and they should begin developing new buds. Pix 2 is salvia nemerosa, this is last years pix (oops, I need to deadhead mine so they will rebloom, naughty me, lol.....
Happy gardening!!!!

Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.