Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: Why Does this Happen?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 22, Views: 317
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9165524

And what is it called? It's happened to a couple of my cucumbers.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9165709

I've got several like that so I'm hoping they just "grow" out of it. I'm thinking the "balloon animal" syndrome...LOL... Hey, I tried...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9165712

I don't know what this is called, but those funny cucumbers happen to me too.
I have noticed that are from plants that are infected by aphids or under stress. In the heat of the summer sometime I find cucumbers on a shape of a donuts ... I don't mind them.
I just plant a lot of plants and I am sure some will do that ...
I have transplanted and seeded more cucumbers today (FRUIT DAY).

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9165764

Well I have more than my share to learn about it but while I was reading most info said it had to do with improper or disturbed pollination processes.
Then the problem becomes I have seen no pollination cucumbers that have that happen also,I didn't know that at the time, so we are still back to why.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9165930

Pollination problem. If you only have a few, I wouldn't worry about it. They don't outgrow it but they taste fine anyway.

If you end up with a lot of these, I would pay attention to your bee population and if it's poor, plant some bloomers that attract them and/or consider keeping orchard mason bees. Meanwhile, pollinate by hand if necessary.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9165998

Thanks Nicole. We have LOTS of bees and ants that love to pollinate. I've only had a couple others so far this season, so I'm not worried about. We just whack off the pointy end and enjoy the rest.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9166295

I always get a few, too.

Good to see someone else that recognizes that ants do a pretty good pollination job. Especially with cucumbers, I have a hard time finding the fruit so I know the bees must miss some of the flowers!
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9166502

Steph, as has been said, it is a pollination problem. Even though there are plenty of pollinators around the blossom may have been damaged in some way. I have this problem when the weather turns hot or when there are spider mites or thrips present. Also I suspect certain plant diseases or viruses may contribute to this condition.

Next year I plan to plant F1's with a good disease resistance package and that are partenocarpic. My very best performers this year were Thunder (slicer) F1 and Corentine (pickle) F1, both from Twilley Seed Company. Although Thunder did get the symptoms exhibited in your photo, it has only been the past week or two after the heat started cranking up.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9166514

I have a feeling it's from the weird weather we've been having. Hot/cooler/lots of high winds/rains

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9171448

Yours looks like mine too. I read somewhere where it is uneven watering that causes this. I know that the ones I grow in pots usually look like this where the ones I grow in ground don't unless there is a drought.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9171507

texasrockgarden
I plant 80% parthenocarpic varieties. I have a few of those funny cukes from the parthenocarpic varieties when the plants are under stress: heat or bugs or water.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9171863

Two most common things I have noticed though are "small black bugs" that like the blooms and there is a lot of powdery mildew that occurs here. The bugs are real small ants or long skinny two part segmented beetles also real tiny. they mess up my pollination processes as to my plants.
This is still as said previously "bugs and or stress". Well anyway that is what I have been noticing about why that occurs to mine as to factors. I am finding this thread contemplative as informative.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9172453

Stephanie...cukes are not as easy a vegetable to grow as they are made out to be. Like some of the messages indicate if you get past the pollination problem, even watering, bugs (bean beetle, black bugs, etc), mildew and just plain old southern heat you may get a cuke or two. Every year I swear that I'm not planting any more cukes but I usually give in. The best that I grew one year was planted among my herbs basil, chives and parsley and was in morning sun and afternoon shade. Oh yah and don't forget they need mucho nitrogen. Good luck with them but don't let your expectations get too high.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9172503

Stephanie,I have Green Finger, Little Leaf, Babylon and Pony doing well. Green Finger gets the funny end every now and then, but most fruit is good. We're hot right now, 90's with no rain for weeks and high wind but these varieties do well.
I have grown Thunder, Marketmore and Ponsett in the past. They were horrible about getting the pinched ends, especially Thunder which is parthenocarpic. I have a lot less trouble in winter than in summer. Little Leaf grew especially well completely under cover (remay, 85% light transmission) and almost no problems at all. The ones grown without cover had more pinched ends.
Little Leaf and Pony are pickling cucumbers, but also delicious fresh.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9172536

Muncher and Sweet Marketmore have done the best for me. No heat problems. Of course I don't get Calalily's heat.

Muncher last year tasted great and was steady and reliable. I did get pickle borer last year, but that isn't the cuke's fault. If we don't get rain I drip irrigate once a week or so, but other than that they get no TLC.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9172607

All the cuke seeds I sowed March 1 did very well and yes as soon as the weather heated up to the point where the plants needed watering every other day the problem with the curled pointed end began even Thunder and Corentine. Those cukes that were well shaded by leaves seemed to be less prone to the problem. The last dozen or so of Thunder were bitter.

Cukes I sowed later did poor from the get-go.

Early sowing with a shade cloth may be the way to go.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9189158

I have got cucumbers coming out my ears! I pickled 6 pint jars and 5 quart jars just from what I picked today! The variety I planted was Cucina hybrid, and they are small, soft-skinned and great tasting. The only bug problem I have had is a very weblike stuff around the plants, but it doesn't seem to do anything to the cucumbers, and it hasn't bothered the leaves either. Might just be spiders. And mine are out in full sun, but they are on a slanted trellis.
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9192562

I normally have issues growing cucumbers. The first plants I put in the garden this year died in like a week so I got more and these seem to be doing ok..harvested my first cuke today!
lusciousleaves
West of Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9195890

Chrissy, I'm in your neck of the woods and am just now watching my plants put on babies. When did you plant and what type? Most of my first batch of picklers gotten chowed by a chicken before they were covered. Those were expensive chicken snacks! Replanted the rest of that row a week later.
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9196143

Lusciousleaves, I planted Memorial day weekend I planted two regular size cucumber plants and two pickle ones, I'd have to go pull the stakes to see exactly what kind (yep, amateur gardener here!). Let me tell you about expensive chickens, after building the coop, and installing two fences (picket one around my garden and farm fence to keep them away from the neighbors garden) I think we've got the most expensive chickens ever ...and we paid only $8 for the 4 of them originally :-) But they are part of the family.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9196212

Chrissy, it's a one-time investment that will keep paying dividends! And think of all the lovely eggs!

My cucumbers are just starting to bear - so far just the picklers. I think I overplanted, since I have never had luck with pickling. They always go soft on me.
lusciousleaves
West of Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9196676

The eggs and entertainment make it all worthwhile. Plus, they decimated our earwig population within the first year. Pest patrol is another plus. I hear you on the expense getting set up, but as ghg says, it's a one-time deal, except for the recurring expenses of keeping them. We love our winged family members. There hasn't been a guest come to visit than hasn't fallen in love with them as well.

GHG, my pickles are always soft. I hear if you use pickling lime, that keeps them crunchy. I don't make dills here, just bread and butter and sweet relish. Keeps the soft from being an issue.

Back to the cukes, and thanks for answering Chrissy. :)
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9197463

So, we love all our pets (Dog, 2 cats, 4 chickens and many fish), they are all very spoiled and well worthy any expense (even though I whine about it once in a while) And you're right, in addition to producing eggs,those chickens provide hours of entertainment! I grew up in the northern suburbs of Chicago, my husband is from Milwaukee; So most of our friends and family think I'm crazy for having chickens, those city folk just don't get it until they come to visit and see the girls in action :-)

Aren't you glad it finally cooled off enough to actually go outside? I really need to get some weeding done this morning seems the weeds don't really need water to grow.

Have a great Sunday!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America