-
AuthorContent
dmtom
Deep South, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9165719

I have 10 offers of 15 seeds for trade. If interested send me a DM.

Dane
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 14, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9165770

Thats a seriously infested plant Dane, you might want to give it a spray or two.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9165980

I would love to have some, does it need cold stratification?
Josephine.
dmtom
Deep South, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9166363

That was inbetween sprayings. I dug this plant up over a year ago. It's flowered 4 or 5 times and each time the bugs would come, I would spray every other day and by the time the bugs were gone, so were the flowers. The only reason I think I got pods this time is because of the bug slowdown in winter, Even then I had to fight some to save the pods.

Thanks
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 15, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9166552

I wonder how that plant would do in the DFW area? I read it is a great monarch resource so it would be worth growing. I am not sure I would have a sandy,full sun area for it myself. Do you find a lot of cats. on it?
Cheryl
dmtom
Deep South, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9166957

I keep mine in partial shade tho I found it in full sun. It seems to do better in the heat with shade.

I did find 3 monark cats. Most of my cats are attracted to my Mexican Oleander.

My soil has alot of clay is hard when dry.

sorry bout the focus
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

June 16, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9167483

Cheryl, it will do fine here in our area as it is native to north Texas. In fact, I've got it growing naturally on the property next door to me and I'm in southern Dallas County. Grows fine in our clay soil.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 16, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9167484

Good to know. I try to find butterfly plants when I can.
Suzy_Bee
Spring, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9171092

Just curious what anyone would spray on this plant besides an occasional blast of water to dislodge aphids. Caterpillars are "bugs," too, and spraying any kind of pesticide on the milkweeds will kill aphids, stinkbugs and caterpillars; i.e., good and bad bugs. Butterfly gardening has no room for pesticides.

A few weeks ago, my largest milkweeds were covered in (orange) oleander aphids, which actually cause little damage. As suggested by Texas A&M, I employed integrated pest management and let the aphids alone, and about three weeks later, sure enough, came a troop of lady beetles to gobble them up.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 19, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9171435

Water and perhaps a little soap mixed in.
dmtom
Deep South, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9175249

I added a little alcohol to the soapy water, knocking them off last 1 day. This is the only plant of Zizotes I've seen down here. These gold bugs killed my 3-year old loquat saplings and would attack several other plants. I really wanted some seeds of them to share. I have quite a few Mexican Oleanders that get striped every year, so I feel I can keep cats away from my house and flower beds and pots. The other half acre bugs can have except africanized bees, fire ants and carpender ants.

The last 3 weeks I've been enjoying hundreds of baby toads that my neighbors that use pesticides don't have.

I've been away a couple days so I'll catch up with the DMs and sends tomorrow.

Thanks
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

June 22, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9175525

Thanks so much, Dane...the seeds arrived yesterday. Since our heat has 'hit', I will be sorting through the seed sets this weekend...again, I really appreciate the sharing! MaryAnn
frostkay268
Linden, TX

June 27, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9183522

Do you still have seeds available? I have been working diliglently to get native milkweeds growing to support the Monarchs; although I do have the tropicals which came in handy for the early arrival of Monarchs this year.
I am interested in purchasing or swapping for some seeds. Kay

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9183883

Dane, I received my seeds, thank you very much, the Cowpen daisy will go out tomorrow.
Josephine.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9186990

thanks for the seeds

Any advice on
planting / germinating
them successfully ?
dmtom
Deep South, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9190721

I haven't planted these seeds yet. I searched online and I think I'll try covering them with 1/4" soil and keep moist. I'm going to try a few now and some after the break of summer.

Hopefully some of us will have success and let us know. I should have some about this time next year and we can compair notes.

Thanks

Dane

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9190724

Dane, did you receive the Cowpen daisy seeds?
imabirdnut
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9235890

I would love to trade if you still have seeds & would love to have more plants of this!
I dug up a plant with a sharp shooter shovel from a commercial field a couple of years ago in north Tarrant county. It is the first milkweed to be eaten here in my butterfly garden & has bloomed but been devoured before it can go to seed. I have a long list of natives as well as other seeds for trade. (Please Dmail me & I'll send you the list!)
I am also looking for other Texas native butterfly host plant seeds such as Asclepias texana, Aristolochia reticulata, & Aristolochia erecta...if you have these or know where I could get them???
Thanks & let me know,
Lila

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America