Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tiny Gardens: Zone 8 plants for Fairy gardens

Communities > Forums > Tiny Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Tiny GardensReplies: 9, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9165914

I had a good friend pass a couple years ago.Just recently her husband remarried,sold their property and since his new wife doesn't garden he asked me to go get her garden art and containers because new owners didn't garden,didn't want the stuff and were fixing to have bulldozer come clear property so I wound up w/ several birdbaths and small non-working fountains. I've always wanted a container grown fairy garden and my garden club wants me to do a program on subject sometime in the future so I'd like to get 2 or 3 going for demo. I either need plants that will take some wet feet or suggestions on how to put drainage in these containers w/o busting them and low growing plants for hot,humid zone 8...sun and shade.

P

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9188725

You might check your local plant nurseries for small/short growing species (under 6" height). I like to use ground covers, mosses, herbs (thyme, boxwood basil, golden oregano, etc.), sedums, and hens & chicks in my miniature gardens.

I bought a set of drill bits for masonry (cement, clay tile, etc.) and a set for glass at Lowe's that I use to make holes in recycled items to use for containers. You have to use water to lubricate, or maybe keep the bits cool. I add a little water in the container bottoms and place a piece of wood underneath in a bucket of water, and drill slowly. I haven't broken anything yet!

Good luck with your projects!
--
Bev
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9188920

thanks

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9194709

Hi bigred, as you may have noticed I live in zone 8b. I've had great success with growing babytears as a shade ground cover. For sun I like any of the little sedums, hen and chicks, Cranesbill or thyme. The miniature daisies "Bellium minuta" grow good here.Check out www.twogreenthumbs.com for sun, shade, and indoor plants. Also check out her galleries from the main page for lots of ideas. Another good site is www.miniforest.com. They offer a wide range of trees, shrubs and groundcovers and have a great gallery too. Also, google "stepable plants".

Bev gave you great advice on drilling the holes. All I would add is my experience of taping with freezer tape the spot I'm going to drill. That seems to help keep concrete and teracotta from cracking when starting the hole. Let us know how it goes and anything we can do to help - just ask.

Glad to have you here,
Laney

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9195088

Oooh freezer tape, that's a great idea to give the bit a little traction to get started, too! Thanks Laney!

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9195128

You're welcome very welcome Bev.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9197370

Ooh, ooh, can I send you some good low growing sedums and small succulents?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9197446

Laney,I googled Steppables but they have no plants available for mail order nor could I find any local sources but I will check out those other links...thanks again.

I can find seeds for other plants thur one of my vendors for low growing plnats for shade.

joycerogers0713

joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9198194

Lowes and HomeDepot's garden centers usually carry stepables. I live 50 miles from either one tho.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2012
2:26 AM

Post #9198544

I googled them but our local ones within 25 miles aren't carrying them

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tiny Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miniature gardens delphiniumdiva 73 Jul 1, 2008 5:30 PM
Miniature Garden BassetMom 43 Jul 4, 2008 11:48 AM
Garden gnomes in their natural habitat. Pixydish 236 Mar 17, 2009 7:46 PM
Miniature Garden Marcy_1 37 Mar 21, 2010 7:42 PM
Faries Anyone AFDolly 22 Jul 25, 2007 2:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America