AuthorContent

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9165977

Sorry no pic yet, but couldn't wait to ask. Two Cardinals babes fledged over a week ago and then all of the sudden the daddy Cardinal was also feeding a cowbird. Must have been laid late. Anyway, I haven't had brown-headed cowbirds in the yard since April, but I do have at least 2 Bronzed Cowbirds around and one is a female. Seems like this juvi cowbird could be a Bronzed.

How can I tell if the cowbird being raised by the Cardinals is a Bronzed or a Brown-headed Cowbird?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9166873

Tricky, but juv Bronzed should be plainer, less streaky / scaly-patterned.

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9169732

Thanks! I still haven't gotten a good pic. I've only gotten one that I know for sure is the right bird b/c the cardinal had just fed him. That's this pic. He turned his head to preen when I snapped the photo and then flew off before I could get another shot. I have seen him clearly through the binocs and I think he has to be a Bronzed. He's so dark and doesn't appear to have any streaking at all. He also seems larger than a brown-headed would be.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9170244

Got to be a Bronzed. No streaking at all even though still young enough that it's not feeding itself. Here is another blurry pic. It likes the furthest, darkest corners of the yard and today's a dark day to boot.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #9171154

Yep, agree. That Cardinal must be wondering what sort of a kid he's raised!

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9171215

He seems to favor it over the 2 juvi cardinals! Yesterday evening, the cardinal was feeding the cowbird in the grass. The cardinal flew off and an adult Bronzed Cowbird landed near the juvi. The adult cowbird flew off and the juvi followed! I wondered if he would start hanging with his own kind, but the next thing I knew the Cardinal was feeding him again and the adult cowbird had disappeared.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America