-
AuthorContent
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9166088

I have used Earthboxes and homemade self-watering containers to grow tomatoes and vegetables for years now, but this season I am contending with a new problem. Several of my containers are emitting a horrible, sulfur-laden odor from the water reservoirs. I have tried flushing the reservoirs with clean water but the odor returns.

Any ideas on what I can put in the reservoirs that will stop the odor and not harm my plants? My thoughts have run to hydrogen peroxide, an algaecide or Micro-Lift, which is supposed to be used for fish ponds and smells as bad as my reservoirs!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9166630

Have you tried washing the EBs? Here's the bleach solution I use to clean up my pots and stuff at the end of the season. If I had your EB smells, I'd wash mine out with this same solution:
9 parts water, 1 part bleach. Add 1/2 part Lemon Ajax, and 1/2 part of cheap, Dollar Store mouth wash.

Rinse well, and allow to air dry. A "part" is whatever you choose it to be, e.g. one cup = one part, one gallon = one part, etc.

Try it. You'll wanna keep on washing, but do this in a well-ventilated room, or outdoors.

Linda
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9170007

They were clean at the beginning of the season. Now they are full of plants, and potting mix. Could be something I used in the mix this year that's breaking down?

I might try adding mouthwash now. Already put a little Oxi Clean down the watering hole and the plants haven't died yet. :)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9170021

Check your soil screen to make sure it is not cracked. If it is, then the soil is sagging and the soil bed is sitting directly in too much water, getting anaerobic from not enough oxygen space between the soil and the reservoir.

I had this happen in a homemade eBucket last season. Couldn't figure out why my eBuckets were just plain stinky! Never happened before. So, I dismantled one and, sure enough, the overturned colander had crumpled, so the soil bed was sitting directly in the water.

Uh, I wouldn't use too much mouthwash in the reservoir...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 18 May 10, 2013 2:47 AM
My EB garden (and more) BocaBob 121 Dec 11, 2008 5:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America