Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: OLD, NEW, BORROWED, BLUE GIFTS TO VIEW

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 193, Views: 1,401
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9166167

Here we await our swap treasures. Each package will have four items, yes only four. One for each piece of the rhyme. I will concede that if you are giving, say a matched set of something, it will be the same as one item. Example: box of tea bags, bag of candy, two matched dish towels, pair of socks (ROFLMAO), etc. Any card you include would not count.
Now for the fun part. Old can be something truly old: antique, me, grandmother's garters, geez where am I going? Something repurposed,a baby from a plant you have had for many years, last year's fruit cake, cookies made from an old recipe which is included, etc.
New is pretty self explanatory isn't it?
Borrowed is one we have cussed and discussed: perhaps something you got from another swap, something that was given to you rather than purchased, something of your neighbor's (Oops here I go again), no nothing illegal please. We can surely talk about it before we hand out names.
Blue, well there are hundreds of shades of blue and thousands of things that are blue even before you get to sad, jazz, or bluegrass.

Our members:

FruitoftheVine (Susan) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9139706
jxstiger (Jax)
scbuttercup (Judy) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9145726
taters55 (Linda Kay) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9143516

careyana (Carey) Received
Crit (Patti) Received
Garden Quail (Michelle) Received
goldhillal (Crystal) Received
happgarden (Joyce) Received
hollysmama (Liz) Received
lizrainey (Liz) received
warriorswisdomkathy (Kathy) Received
ridoodles (Martha) Received
rouxcrew (Joy) - Received
susanl61520 (Susan) Received
Where we came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1261043/

This message was edited Aug 4, 2012 2:08 PM

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9166231

I has arrived!!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9166233

I made it over...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9166282

I got my name! :-)
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9166800

yaaay got my name.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2012
12:42 AM

Post #9167182

Got my name! Hmmm... What all to get for my buddy :)
Michelle

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9167425

Got my name! This should be a fun one! :D

ridoodles

ridoodles
Warwick, RI
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9168061

EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE, BUT HOW DO I LOOK UP THIS SPECIAL PERSONS ADDRESS? I RECEIVED MY NAME AND SO CANNOT WAIT TO SEND THE MAGIC...I SAY MAGIC BECAUSE I LOVE LOVE GETTING MAIL, ESPECIALLY MAIL IN A BIG BOX...:-)
SINCERELY IN LOVE WITH THIS IDEA AND THANKFUL THIS PERSON MENTIONED A LITTLE OF HER FAVES..
MARTHA

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9168126

Martha, sent you a dmail with her addy. But you can find them by clicking "home", then looking under the top row of headers for "Extras" Click there and when the link opens, scroll down till you get to DG Address Exchange. From there, click the first letter of her avatar name, scroll down till you find it, then click again. There it will be.

Joy

This was one of the hardest things for me in DG.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9170145

Joy I finally stopped and looked at the picture at the top, that is so cute, which my garden room and garden looked like that minature one.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9170523

ok...I'm here...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9170556

Thanks Joyce, that is at ARE (Antique Rose Emporium), and I have several photos in my folder from there to give me inspiration as I work on my own cottage garden. I drive out there regularly to dream. According to them, most of their garden areas just evolve and they put in little or no effort once it gets started. Pulling a weed here, trimming off dead stuff there, it is what a cottage garden should be. Complete with repurposed junk that has been made useful.
Here is a larger view of that same area. Isn't it wonderful?????

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9170569

That is beautiful!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9170679

That's the kind of place that makes you just want to pull up a chair or take a lazy stroll and get lost in dreamy thoughts.

My box has been in the wind since yesterday. Gotta tell you, Joy, this swap was a toughie, but in a good way being able to stretch ye ol brain cells.
Now, having said that, the 'old' included for my Bud came in a set. Doesn't a set count as one item? lol

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9170942

I know what you mean Fruits, ARE is a beautiful place that is fun to explore.

Yes, we discussed sets as being "one" item. Things that go together as well.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9171416

Love that picture and so fun. I went to a house last night that was too cool. She is a painter artist with lots of imagination. The whole back of the house was one huge covered porch with cedar wall and all kinds of cool old stuff hanging off of it. That is the way I wanted our house but I seem to have a dh who cares and as far as I am concerned has no imagination. Anytime I hear a woman complain because her husband doesn't care how something is decorated, I am guessing she would feel completely different when he did care...rofl. I took pics of her porch and her studio, you crafters out there will be so jealous of her work bench, it is huge and out of an old pharmacy or something.

So hot and windy here and no rain in site, we have been having wind gusts up to 40...then high 90's, I water and in a minute it is dry again..rofl.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9171586

Can't wait to see those pictures!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9171699

1st pic is looking down part of the porch
2nd pic is just some of decorations
3rd pic more decorations, those 2 guys are MG's in our group
4th pic gotta love the rain barrel

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9171708

Wow, that is awesome! Love that rain barrel!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9171711

Here a few more.

3rd picture is 1/2 of her studio, look at that counter...so cool.
Sorry some of the shots are blurry.

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9171717

Thought you guys would like the rain barrel...too cute.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9171784

That is such an inviting place! Make's ya want to walk up, pour yourself an iced tea or lemonade, and sit for a bit!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9171848

I just love the old stuff, but then again I love ultra modern glass, and sea shore look, and the cottage look, hummm must be why my house looks like a Kansas tornado went thru and left a little bit of everything...rofl.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9171889

Hi, all.
Wow, if Fruity already has her box on its way, guess we all better be watching our mail! :) I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone receives...
Michelle

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9173294

I am the lucky recipient of Miss Fruitalicious' box!!!!!! It came today and it truly embodies the idea of the swap.

Old - Avon's ceramic goose measuring spoons in their own crate. (much quieter than my real geese)

New - A solar driven light whirlymajig porch art. And it is in COPPER!!!! I will admit that I was a little sad when I looked at the box, it showed a shiny chrome one and I was thinking that I would have to move it to the bunk house where we have chrome. It is one of those changing color lights that will be neat in the evening when I am sitting out there.

Borrowed - A recipe book she borrowed 25 years ago, complete with a cool beaded book mark. I sat on the porch watching it sprinkle to look at it and fell in love with the VERY FIRST RECIPE! Maple Pecan Breakfast Wheel. Oh yea, I will be reading recipes for the rest of the week.

Blue - A cobalt blue and white tea mug from Virginia. She knows how much I love Cobalt Blue, almost to the point of divorcing my DH over the kitchen floor. And kitchy stuff like the neat outside.

I have already drunk tea from my mug, read my book, and watched my solar light. Now to cook with my geese!

What a great box Fruit! Doing the happy dance!!!!!!

I think I will repurpose your box and get mine shipped in the morning.
Whoop!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by rouxcrew   Thumbnail by rouxcrew

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9173349

Joy, that is an awesome box! Love those spinners! And how lucky you are to get that precious cook book.
Way to go Miss Fruitalicious!
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9173579

I found you! Skip a mayor two and you start a new thread. Wow, I'd better get moving and get a box.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9173646

Judy, you and me both! ACK!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

June 21, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9173931

What a great idea- solar whirigig! Wish I had one. Where can one find something like that???

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9174024

Happy Birthday Liz, hope you have a fantastic day!

Thumbnail by taters55

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9175032

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIZ

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9175102

I haven't seen any around here but have seen several different ones pop up in swaps goldhillal.

Now that I am ready to pack my box I am vascillating on what to put in it. Thought I was good to go and now I am looking at a table with several different things and cannot decide. Sigh.

Joy
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9175164

Joy that is what I do...I hate that, maybe it is something in a name...rofl. Joyce
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9175218

Happy Birthday, Liz, and many more!

Joy, I've only had one female roommate, and she left that cookbook when she moved out many moons ago. The Avon Geese measuring spoons used to keep me company when we were living in our camper and I found them in a little antique shop in WV...you know I'm a lousy baker, but they always made me smile.

Crystal, I found the solar whirlygig in the Spring at CVS, of all places.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9175526

Joyce, you aren't blonde also are you? I always worr y that my partner won't like things I have chosen, or that I didn't do enough. So I sit and stare and agonize. Silly, I know. I mean who wouldn't want a clown picture done in velvet with eyes that follow you across the room, right?
Fruity, what I have found so far is that the recipes seem fairly easy and straight forward. None of the over complicating that seems to inhabit fancy cookbooks of that time frame. When you add all the techniques and gadgets there is now, it is great. Haven't bought a generic cookbook in years, since the Internet became so handy so I am excited and will be trying and twisting a pcouple recipes this weekend. That is, if I can decide what to send my buddy. I know, an Elvis bobble head doll!

Joy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9176331

I'm hoping to get my box out Monday at the latest! I'm having a harder time than intended with the "borrowed" - UGH!

Just a note to my buddy - if you haven't sent me a box yet - DON'T!!! I am leaving town for a week on Tuesday and DH is NOT reliable with retrieving items from the porch - nor would he know what to do with anything!!! I'll be back by the 4th so sending that week would work great. :)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9176694

Enjoy your trip Carey. How was the Peach Jamboree?

Well, I spent my morning working on a suitable way to pack my buddy's box, sat around with styrofoam, scissors, knife and a hacksaw. I know, it is the blonde in me. I wanted to be sure that nothing shifted. So a couple hours and a lot of little balls later, I have everything just like I want it and realize that if I send it today, it might sit in a hot warehouse on Sunday. Sigh. So mine will go out Monday. Now I have styrofoam bits everywhere, in the dog's hair, on the couch, down my shirt... Fun, fun!!!!!

Joy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9177417

LOL Joy! Has DH asked you about your foamy dandruff problem? ;)

Didn't make it to the JAMboree. It was a late night Friday since DH had just flown back into town, and Sandi couldn't make it either. I've just been eating all the Texas peaches I can find instead. They're a mighty tasty crop this year! Glad we got all the spring rains, because those babies are juicy and sweet!

When is the last send date? I'm really starting to question if I'll get this one out before I leave. :(
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9177557

Yeah, the difficult part wasn't gathering, it was narrowing down which items to send. Borrowed gave me a tussle, then I remembered what a great cook you are, Joy.

Have a great time, Carey!

We've already eaten a few VA peaches, my fav fruit, and they were mighty sweet and juicy. The Navel Oranges from Florida so far have been the same.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9177807

I had said it would be good to have them out by the 4th, and I figure we will be stretching it a bit since it is such a challenge for everyone. So I won't be sending the deadline police after you Carey. Y'all are right about the peaches, they are wonderful this year.

You know my DH just puts his head down and keeps walking. He says it is best not to ask sometimes.

Joy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9178418

Thanks Joy. Maybe I can find something to 'borrow' from my parents' house. They're kind of pack rats, so they probably wouldn't even miss anything. :)

Fruity, I plan to! We may end up going to Longwood Gardens again. It's such a beautiful setup and they have so much I'd love to see again.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9178725

Just made some Peach Lemonade, OMG did it hit the spot today after being outside all morning. Oh, I missed a step, I didn't strain the peach mixture. Kinda made it a smoothy. Oops.

Peach Lemonade
4 cups water
2 cups coarsely chopped peaches
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
4 cups ice
1 peach, cut into 8 wedges

1. Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Place peach mixture in a blender; let stand for 20 minutes. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
2. Press peach mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid; discard solids. Stir in lemon juice. Place 1/2 cup ice in each of 8 glasses. Pour about 2/3 cup lemonade into each glass; garnish each glass with 1 peach wedge.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9179250

Joy, you are truly evil!!!! I can't even try to make that lemonade till I get back in over a week. ACK!!! It looks sooooo good!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9179506

OMG, with this heat a drink like that sounds absolutely Heavenly. And add Ice Cream too, OH MY!

Take pics, Carey...lol

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9179759

It is so hot! How hot is it, the ducks are panting...rofl. I was watering and one of the ducks ran over and got under the sprinkler and just stood there. Now they have a swimming pool but unless I say out there with them they won't stay there...go figure.

I had better start hunting and gathering for this swap. I have some ideas just haven't started putting the box together yet. Guess that will be my projects this week.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9179859

I just froze it till slushy and added a splash of rum last night. But ice cream works as well!!!!!!
My box is ready, just waiting for me to take to the PO. Woo Hoo!!!!! Come on guys, get brave, there is no right or wrong in this swap, just go with your gut. BTW, my borrowed is something that was left after my mom went home from the hospital. When I told her it was hers, she said it wasn't. I liked it and now am passing it along a year later. No it isn't her bedpan!

ROFLMAO

Joy
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2012
12:38 AM

Post #9181327

Hi, all.
Joy, that Peach Lemonade sounds yummy! Will have to get some peaches and give it a try :)
Oh, and Joy, your box sounds wonderful! :)
Well, have some things and ideas for my box, but still need to look for other things. Will probably have to wait til later this week when my husband can help me look around at the stores.
Michelle

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

June 26, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9181425

My box went out yesterday. I spent a lot of time just spinning my wheels on this box. Now that it is gone I keep thinking,"What was I thinking!!" .
I am getting behind on my DG reading. Seems watering is my main home activity. My daughter and Son were both here the weekend. Now just daughter here. She took a turn yesterday with my sister who is on hospice at home.
Newspaper reporting rabies cases, so I guess I better take my little dog for a shot before the rabies police come around. She does stay outside, so i know she needs one.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9181694

I know what you are saying Crystal, with temps in the 100's and no rain in sight, I am harnessed to my yard plants. So many planted this spring and after losing 90% last year due to the drought, I am determined to save at least some. Most are heat tolerant and drought tolerant but only after they are established. And I feel for FL with all the rain. In TX we could have handled it, well out here in the country anyway. Houston is a swimming pool just looking for water.

I agonize after I send my boxes, always wondering why I chose what I chose. I am sure your buddy will love what you sent, after all there are no expectations so it will be great!!!!!!!

It is always good to keep rabies up to date, dogs can pick it up from many different animals, bats are a real problem, they fall to the ground in death throws and the dog thinks its a great new toy. Because they are small,the bats that is, they get eaten a lot of times so the owner never knows that the dog was bitten.Most areas offer rabies clinics where you can get your dog vaccinated for very low cost, around here it is $5.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9181822

Please forgive me but I maybe sending out my box late, just not sure. Many forest fires around me and the heat is more than I can handle, so I am limiting my outdoor treks, only moving the sprinkler about.

Joy...if you could let me know when my package is going to arrive so I can check the mailbox, til then I'm inside out of the heat and smoke from the forest fires that are so pevelant at the moment.

pix is fire on the west side of Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak is on the left in the photo, 60 miles from me, taken last night from my mailbox, 1/2 mile from home).

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9181910

Happy Birthday Happ! Hope you have a great day!

Thumbnail by taters55

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9184700

I received my box from Goldhillal!!!!! She sent me 2 blue water globes. One is new and one is blue. Then she sent me the lovely reproduced picture that was taken from an old hand bound book - old. She also sent a Croton that was borrowed and a begonia that was borrowed. She had borrowed dirt from another pot and ended up with this plant too. lol I've done that. Thank you so much for the globes and picture and the plants will be much appreciated. It all arrived just fine short of a few broken branches on the begonia, which I will use to make NEW plants. :-)

I have to apologize to my buddy! I am so behind on all my readings and trades I have not sent out yet. Sooooooo much watering to do! With the warm and wet spring we had, it looked like we were going to have some good moisture until at least July. WRONG My DH finished the new bed I had been whining for, and now I have all these newly planted things that have to be watered at least every other day, not to mention the other beds. My big bed out front I have a lot of new hosta and plants so it gets it on the 'off' day. Whew!

Thanks again Crystal.

Thumbnail by Crit

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9184704

I have my stuff all boxed up, and it should go out tomorrow!

Love the pressies you got Crit!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9184736

Wow Patti I love the "old" picture. And water globes for this time of year, what a great idea. Good job Crystal, as always.
I know what you mean about the watering, I just ducked in from watering my front plants that aren't close to the soaker hose and got dive bombed by a hummingbird! Boy was he complaining that I had taken down the one little feeder on the porch. We aren't supposed to have any hummers this time of year, and after the drought of last year I was surprised to see some in the spring. So I came inside and made some sugar water, refilled the feeder, and took it back out. Then I realized how hot it was, or how cool I was in the house. Whew! Just need to go into the back and move a drip from one big container to another. I'm sweating already!

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9184743

If you have hummers, they will be ther till late fall, keep that feeder filled and they will come!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9184798

You are so right Linda Kay. At the old farm NE of Houston, we had hundreds in the fall. I couldn't keep up with the sugar water. When we moved out here though, we were bereft of hummers for several years. Not many hummer friendly plants in pastures and overgrown woods. I really missed them and my other garden creatures. Last year after losing most everything in the drought plant wise I set up a couple feeders (as I did every year) in hopes that maybe some would try our place since food would be hard to come by. Oh my did they come! I hung every feeder I had, bought some more, and still they came. I was thrilled and hoped that we were helping them before the big flight over the water to Mexico. This spring I saw a few, but we have one little guy who apparently wants to stay. Now I hope those that stopped in last summer/fall will remember our place.

What sort of temps are you having? We are supposed to be catching a break today, only 97 instead of the 105 yesterday.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9184870

Monday was 109, Tuesday was 108, yesterday was 106... TOO HOT!!!

Today 102 | 77

Friday 99 | 75

Saturday 100 | 75

Sunday 97 | 75

Monday 97 | 77

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9184971

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268342/
Fairy and gnome swap is open for all those interested. Come and check it out.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2012
12:18 AM

Post #9185710

Hi, all.
Hey, that's a clever idea, borrowing soil from one plant container for another! Crit, bet you'll have fun growing those plants :)
Michelle
hollysmamma
Cuyahoga Heights, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9186554

Hi all! Looks like everyone got some great boxes! I received mine from roux crew (Joy) the other day. I was sent:

Old- Coffee Mug with pictures of watering cans

New: Pair of pruners with white ceramic (?) handles with flowers and leaves on them

Borrowed- A Succulent dish garden which is absolutely beautiful

Blue- A beautiful sky blue tin with white flowers, that has ginger snaps inside.

I will try to get pictures posted today. I have been in over my head with swaps and a new job, but I am trying to get it all caught up! To my swap partner I will get yours out next week as well ;)

Thanks again Joy! I absolutely loved everything.
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9187075

Sorry to my buddy we are going out of town early Saturday and even tho I have your swap together i don't have a box and no time to go to post office tomorrow. We leave at 7 am for fla beach vaca. I will get it in the mail when we return 7/9

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

July 2, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9189956

WooHoo, RIDoodles! My package came today, and it was excellent in every way!!
I am going to try to get this pic up, but here is the list!!!!
Old-- medicine? bottle. I like these old bottles to display a single flower in.
Borrowed- necklace, we know how it is when you borrow from your sister. I haven't had a new necklace in forever!
New--Chuck Wagon CD>Did I mention I liked them? well, I do and so does hubby. great choice!!
Blue-- vase with frog in the bottom to make small arrangement in. It will be great in the half bath. I am always putting flowers in there and it will be perfect with the wallpaper!
Bonus-- Notecards from pics she took herself!! Beautiful. I use a lot of notecards . Thanks!!
AND I forgot to get these in the picture- pkg of 4 o'clock seed. The ones I have growing are solid colors, but these are varigated and called Kaleidoscope. I think if I plant now, I may see some flowers before frost!!

Thanks so much!!

Well, I have spent 45 minutes trying to add a pic and cannot find it. So... Maybe later
Suffice it to say that after I got the box, I was unloading the dishwasher and realized I was just asmilin'

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9189966

Can't wait to see pictures of your goodies! Who sent your box?

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9189992

Great box Crystal! Way to go Ridoodles.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9190057

Hi, all.
Neat boxes! And I like that idea of the gingersnaps in the blue tin!
My husband and I were out shopping yesterday. After deciding on my "blue" item, I commented to him that he would be spotting blue things everywhere now! LOL Hoping to get my buddy's box in the mail tomorrow or Thursday. Will let you know when it's in the mail :)
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9190105

My DC# says my box is out for delivery! Check your mailboxes, and doorsteps please?

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

July 2, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9190543

Ah-ha! Found the picture, finally. it's a great box!!!

Thumbnail by goldhillal

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9190664

Hey, the mailman rang the doorbell today... but it wasn't my box... The suspense builds! LOL Wonder who is getting the box from LK...
Michelle

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

July 3, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9191173

Hello all you fun swappers!

I'm posting for Liz, her computer went on wayside...
Here's her note:

Thank you Linda Kay i will post as soon as my computer up

ok for my old I got a sock monkey warmer. so cute

something borrowed is a tropical material flamingo.

something blue is a cool windchime spinner

something new is a cool garden flag

love it

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9191214

Thanks Judy, sorry to hear her computer is down!

ridoodles

ridoodles
Warwick, RI
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9191929

Crystal,
Thanks for posting happy you received the box, I am still awaiting, cant wait to post about my treets...I feel left out here, but enjoy reading everyone's gifts and joy about receiving them...
Happy 4th of July...Boom...Boom... Bang...BANG !

Thumbnail by ridoodles

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9192111

I know it is hard to wait for our goodies, especially when ours has already gone out. Here's hoping that the other boxes will get in the wind soon, I did get a note saying one was ready but couldn't be mailed till the 7th and one buddy is gone on vacation. Hope everyone else is doing well and will be posting soon!

Joy
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9192290

I have to admit, I have been slacking on this one. I have my buddy's name and I even have a couple of the items picked out (even tho my daughter keeps trying to lay claim to them lol) but just can't seem to get motivated to finish it up in this heat! I love to include edibles in my boxes I ship when possible, but I'm afraid this might pose a bit of a problem since my favorite one to send is chocolate! I WILL get this shipped by week's end... or Tuesday...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9193072

Long days at work haven't been able to work on my box. Plan on it this on sunday
Saturday is water garden tour in this heat! I will be shot!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9193523

Hi, all.
Well, finally found a box. Items didn't fit in the box I planned to use. So, will pack it Thursday. Should have it out by the end of the week.
Yum, chocolate... tasty :) But, yeah, that would be tricky to mail now with all the high temps around the country.
Stay cool, everyone :)
Hope everyone had a great Independence Day!
Michelle

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9193964

I have successfully sent chocolate and plants in this heat. Newspaper or styrofoam works wonders for keeping the temp reasonable. For the most part mail is not left to the elements and with a little forethought it can be done easily. Chocolate goes in the center of my box wrapped in newspaper. Plants were sent in ziplocks with damp papertowels and the box filled with styrofoam popcorn. Both were labeled on the outside, chocolate was "Perishable", plants were "Live Plants".
That kept the mailman from leaving it in the sun.

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9199160

Liz, I got your letter today, sure wish I could take claim to making the wind spinner, but I bought it at the hospital gift shop. They have some really nice items there. Sure hope you get your internet up soon!

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 1:07 PM
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9199468

How embarrassing, I just got my box out to my partner today. Somehow I just couldn't get it out before vacation. Back to work today it was an avalanche but I was able to get to post office before 5:00. So if you haven't gotten your package yet, you're probably my partner! Hope you enjoy.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2012
12:45 AM

Post #9199941

Hi, all.
Judy, you weren't the only one sending your box out Monday... Mine went out first thing Monday morning. So, my buddy should be watching the mail Wednesday or Thursday :)
Michelle

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9200023

Thanks guys for letting folks know they should watch their mailboxes. It will be great to see the new prezzies! Don't forget to send pics! Descriptions are great but it is nice for everyone to see the gifts.

Joy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9200292

I am bound and determined to get my box out today or tomorrow. "Borrowed" has been a real toughie!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9202223

You guys I got the most amazing box from GardenQuail!!!!
I had to post, got home late and have already eaten a piece of the Grammy's Zucchini Bread, then it dawned on me I should of taken a picture first but I couldn't hold myself back. It is amazing!! It is so moist but not doughy and the spices are absolutely perfect, omg, I was lucky enough for her to send me the directions, not that I think I can make any thing that good... Oh yeah and she sent me pans how great is that.

Sorry I should of started at the beginning...rofl...(you just wouldn't believe how good that zucchini bread is) oh sorry back to my wonderful box with the most wonderful card...

Since I just had a birthday she sent me a ducky birthday card since I have ducks and it is so cute and is in Braille, and says Here's to you Ducky then you open it and it says Have a Quacky Birthday, and then she wrote a sweet note from her and her guide dog...so darn cute. Thank you so much. That is so sweet that you remembered that I had a birthday recently and the card couldn't have been any more perfect, right up my alley.

The old is the wonderful recipe that is her Grammy's and I will cherish that forever and hopefully get to pass that on to someone in my family. I never got to know my Grammy so this is really special to me.

The new is the cutest darn frogs I have ever seen, the small frog on top has his tongue out and he is catching a dragon fly and it moves in the breeze. I will put it out by the water garden. It is just perfect! Look at those faces, you just have to smile every time you look at them they are so darn cute.

The borrowed is a wonderful towel/hot pad combination a Rachael Ray Moppine that she is regifting, which I feel really lucky to receive. Really nice.

The blue is great, it is a solar butterfly and is so cool. I can't wait until tomorrow night after it has charged and starts glowing. It has a long pole to sit on but I wanted everything to fit in the picture so I didn't attach it yet...rofl.

I feel really special after receiving such a great box, Michelle you did an amazing job picking things I would love and I love it all.

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9202411

Oh Happ, those items are so cute! Did you say you liked the bread? LOL!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9203360

No I LOVED the bread...I could show you the crumbs that are left...well actually I can't because there aren't any...rofl.
I just went out and looked at the butterfly and it is so pretty. I will try this weekend to take a pic of the butterfly and I also got a frog in another swap whose belly lights up...too fun. I have the butterfly out by the pergola where my chandelier is hanging and it has solar lights in it...

I promise I will get mine box done this weekend. Nothing going on but watching the plants die so I should have plenty of time...ughhhh. Rain in Kansas City proper NONE at my house... ;(

Did any of you see KC in all the all-star games? I swear the downtown airport I go by every day and I have never never seen so many corporate jets. I don't think there was a place left to park a small jet...then the game ended and the next morning it was a ghost airport...rofl.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9203524

Hi, all.
Happgarden, I'm so glad everything made it to you in good condition :) I realized that all the times we received Grammy's boxes of goodies, it was cold everywhere, so the breads and other goodies always made it to us with no problem. But I wasn't sure how it would travel in the middle of summer.
And, I GOT MY BOX! It arrived today (Thursday)! Thank you scbuttercup/Judy! She sent the following:
Old: A package of cocktail napkins with an antique looking pattern. Hmmm, I'll have to think of something fun to host so I can use these special napkins :)
New: A necklace with beads of all different shapes in blues, greens, and white (silver and pearl). The beads are interesting shapes to feel. This will be a fun necklace to wear for a special occasion :)
Borrowed: Homemade music CD of flute and nature "borrowed" from her CD. Lovely music! And so peaceful! I listened to it right after opening the box :)
Blue: Light blue T-shirt from her home state of South Carolina with a palm tree and crescent moon (small version on front that also says "South Carolina" and larger version on back). Hmmm, may have to start a collection of T-shirts from different states... I have one from Texas, too. This will be fun to wear :)
Thank you for all the fun surprises!
Michelle

This message was edited Jul 12, 2012 10:57 PM

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9203817

What a great idea to borrow music! I would have never thought of that but it is a fabulous idea! Like the idea of the state Tshirts. I tend to get one when I travel to remind me of the fun I had. Lovely box Michelle and good job Judy!!!!!

Joy
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9204299

I have to apologize that my box has not gone out yet. My car died on my Monday and DH won't have a chance to work on it until Friday when he can take it to work and use their stuff to check it out. Hopefully it won't be anything major, but I have been without a vehicle because he has to take the pickup to work. I will get it out as soon as possible.
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9205403

evening all,
linda kay thank you so much i will post pics
how hectic things have been after my heart attack then the computer dies omg now things are back on track and someone paid my subscription thank you who ever you are.

my box was delivered but no one was home they left a note on door

Thumbnail by lizrainey   Thumbnail by lizrainey

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9205408

ok i got a wonderful garden flag for my new , and the flamingo how cute! for borrowed, something blue is this awsome windchime, and the old is a sock monkey warmer just love everything thank you again linda

Thumbnail by lizrainey

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9205654

Glad to see your back online Liz!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9206479

Me too, Liz, on all counts!

Been out of the loop for a few days and am impressed by so many truly unique gifts everyone's been receiving and the heartfelt thoughts that went into each one as they were being picked out.

That's a brilliant idea I'm going to steal from you next time, Judy. I have most all genres of music in my CD collection (and I'd like to know how to convert hubby's vinyl records) and could have easily burned a copy of a CD you might have enjoyed on your travels, Joy. Duh. Did we ever talk about the kinds of music you like, or dislike? If anyone here enjoys Rap, forgive me, I just don't get it and the smidgen I've listened to have never understood half the words, unless they were offensive. Not my cup 'o tea.

Hugs and ~~~ to everyone.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9206805

Not my cup of tea either Fruity. I like just about all kinds of music, but opera and rap is not on that list.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9207081

good to know im not the only slacker in the group! my box is coming together... hate this 4 item limit tho ugh!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9207090

Fruity I am with you on rap in general. I find that I like any music with a decent drum beat in it. On an 80's and 90's binge right now, Prince, Madonna, Elton, Queen, and so on. Love good country as well but I lean toward modern country, not Loretta. Bluegrass and Celtic is cool. I can appreciate the music in opera, the voices are awesome, just not my cuppa.

We have someone who got their package this weekend and hasn't posted yet. Anyone want to speak up?????

Joy
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9207811

Fruity thank you, the idea to copy the cd just struck me out of the blue. It was when I reread garden quail's likes and she mentioned liking calm music and nature sounds. I had bought the flute music cd on a whim from a musician I met at our church, where he performed as a guest. Due to an injury he walked with a metal cane, then he picked up the cane and began to play music---he had fashioned the steel tube of the cane into a flute. He had a whole collection of handmade flutes, and he had an inspiring message of turning something like a handicap (walking with a cane)into something beautiful. He also had asperger's and was sometimes uneasy around people so he played flute music for zoo animals. Quite an interesting character. After service he had his CDs for sale so I bought one and threw it in my car. Forgot all about it until I was driving and needed a cd. Truth is stranger than fiction.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9207848

Lucky recipient but twasn't me. Our mail lady dropped off two dozen eggs from her farm and our electric bill that almost doubled since last month, but who can give up A/C when it so blazing hot? We'll make up for the cost from now til around September by heating with wood in the Winter.

The stations in my Explorer are set to bounce back and forth depending on mood from modern Country, Classical, Bluegrass, and my fav 70's to 90's Rock N Roll. Makes me feel young (or younger) when I hear hits that were popular in my school days. Funny sometimes I can't tell you what I did yesterday, but know exactly where I was and who I was with hearing good old Rock from the Doobie Brothers, The Eagles, The Rolling Stones, CCR, Earth Wind and Fire, Michael Jackson, Madonna, ZZ Top...you get the idea.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9207881

Sorry for the cross-post, Judy. I got side-tracked watching Antiques Roadshow before hitting send. A while back, I think in the B-Day group of which our Michelle is a participant, we talked about Walmart having a display of soothing CD's where you could push a button and change the track, but believe at the time the store was blasting Christmas music way before Thanksgiving. Very interesting and remarkable recollection about the flautist, and better yet you were able to meet him.

ridoodles

ridoodles
Warwick, RI
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9208312

soooooo i still have not received anything..boo hoo...can whomever send it my way so I can share..

.cool crisp sunny weather with a sprinkling of rain mixed in oh yeah plus a nice rainbow with a pot of gold placed at the end which happens to be at my doorstep please...

seriously i painstakingly kept this a priority to mail my box to my special gal "priority" mind you, so as my person wouldn't have to wait long...just saying..

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9208390

Ridoodles has a very valid point. Mail out was July 4th and it is now July 17th. We have 7 boxes that haven't been received or mailed yet. Girls, several of you have received your box, let's show some courtesy and get these boxes out. It is Tuesday, we should be able to get all boxes mailed by week's end.

If you cannot participate, you need to let me know. If there is a problem then let me or the list know. I am responsible for everyone having fun in this swap and so I have to be the bad guy and make everyone have fun, or else! LMAO

Seriously, we have not heard from several of you since the swap began, let us know what is going on.

Joy
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9208421

My box will go out this week. I sincerely apologize for being late. I could give a million excuses but none of them matter.
So sorry.

Joyce
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9209490

Hanging head ... ditto what Joyce said.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9209986

There are a few swaps open if anyone is interested.

Neck of the woods...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1270225/

Christmas in July...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1270265/
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9210625

*laughs at "new swap" post*

Tater, we can't finish THIS one... LOL

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9210922

Oh my...hanging head here too, oops...on a positive note tho, will be going out tomorrow!!!! I'm sorry, to my trade partner...

On a better note, I got my box of goodies from Liz...Oh my, what goodies!!!!!!

For the old I got a watering can with a matching trowel and shovel, too cool!!!!! How did you know I'm starting to collect watering cans?????

For new I got an amazing hummer feeder made of mosaic glass, My hummers will thank you as I have never fed them yet...just flowers, lol...

For Blue, I got: Seeds...Heavenly Blue Morning Glory, Blue Bachelor Buttons, Blue Borage, Sweet Peas 'Singing the Blues', Nigella 'Miss Jekell Blend' (hope I can grow them as good as she did, very opionated gardener, if any of you ever come across her books givem a try), Blue-Forget-Me-Nots. Blues are some of my favorite flower colors and I attempt to grow all of them I can. lol.

And last but not least>>>>>> for Borrowed I got a sundial...I just love it!!!!!!!! Yes, we are all on borrowed time..., I got it...It took a heart attack to realize how fortunate we all are to be alive. That is why I learned to appreciate my garden and being able to see the beauty, not only in the bigger picture but also the small suttleties of each flower, the hues, fragrances, and luminosity...My second heart attack was 2 months after my sister had died and I was devistated at her loss...needless to say I am closer than ever to my family and very much appreciate them and all they do. Thankyou for such a wonderful gift(s), I shall cherish it always!!!! And I hope you are doing better and getting stronger yourself...Remember passion is what life's ALL about, find something to become passionate about and your life will become fuller and richer. Thankyou to all my new friends here tooooo! Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
12:17 AM

Post #9210932

Hi, all.
Sounds like people are receiving some more neat boxes! Very much enjoying seeing what everyone comes up with!
Judy, what is the name of the flutist on the CD? Thanks for sharing more about the artist who played the music! It makes it even more special :) The fun thing about this, too, is that I had just returned from a book club at my church where we had been talking about God's peace when I found my box from you with this wonderful, peaceful music in it :)
Michelle

ridoodles

ridoodles
Warwick, RI
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9210988

Kathy thanks for posting your sweetness, how nice. Especially beng thankful for all the species and colors and varieties of plants is something I do think about often & thank God for also.

Your gifts from Liz were so thoughtful. Love the tags she placed on each gift too. The watering can caught my eye, a cool thing to collect, as they do not make these new anymore, just ugly plastic ones "made in china" ones...yuk
Antiques are so cool, made to last.
Nice gifts Liz..very very nice job.

Thumbnail by ridoodles

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9211008

yaaay they arrived!

lol kathy you didnt leave too many hints.
so i saw you like to garden and crossed my fingers that would be a good old thing,
glad you like everything .

ridoodles, how true on the watering can nothing like galvanized!!! i have two just love them tried copper but too much cleaning for that, and the plastic yuck

This message was edited Jul 19, 2012 12:50 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9211081

Love all your pressies from Liz! I agree, nothing like the older products, they just don't make them like that any more!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9211121

Love the prezzies!!!! I believe two more boxes will be going out today and I got to see what is in one of them!!!!! Boo Hoo! Wish I was the partner. My thanks to those who have contacted me to let me know what the plan is, still haven't heard from one or two.

Love the idea of "borrowed" time, what a great group of thinkers we have.

For those who know me and my dogs, you will understand why I will be grumpy for a while. We let our oldest livestock guardian dog go to the Rainbow Bridge on Sunday. Lucy has been a fixture on the farm for 13 years which is extremely long for a giant breed. The cancer was to a point that she was in almost constant pain even with drugs but was still a loving dog. Her guarding was the yard with occasional walks around the farm and animals she had protected for so long. It was time.

It is never easy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9211130

awww joy so sorry for your loss.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9211137

Awe, so sorry to hear that! She is a beautiful dog, I know you miss her a lot. (((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9211580

Oh so sorry to hear that, it takes a giant piece of your heart when that happens. She is beautiful.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9212036

So sorry, Joy !!!!!

I mailed my box out today, hope it arrives by Sat.

Daylily, Hemerocalis flava or The Lemon Lily, the first fragrant daylily, the one from which all other fragrant DLs. came from. The two origonal DLs are the one shown and the other is H. fulva (orange), from these two we got 50, 000 or so to choose from now, amazing...

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 20, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9212769

Hi, all.
Joy, I, too, send my condolences. It's never easy to say good-bye to our furry friends. I'll be keeping you in my prayers, praying for peace and comfort.
By the way, Judy took a picture of the goodies she sent me before mailing them. She'll be posting the pic soon!
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Michelle
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9213188

Mine finally got mailed out hope it arrives safe and sound...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9213948

Joy, so sorry you had to let her go. It is so hard on us but to let them live in pain is not kind. She will be forever in your heart!

I had planned to get my box out Friday, but DH changed those plans. I hope I feel well enough to drive to town to get it in the mail. May try to get into the Dr. tomorrow. I have had this sinus infection that worked into an upper respiratory, along with all the coughing and hacking, for a week now. I am just exhausted. I have to lie down and sleep every afternoon. Today was our monthly 'family day' at our house. Everyone got here around 11 and brought stuff for "deli type sandwiches". We got some GREAT food, along with all the fixin's and tomatoes from my plants. Well, about 12:30 I needed to take my pain medication and I usually lie down for 15 or 20 minutes to let it start working if I am late taking it, which I was. I woke at 5:30!!!! I was so exhausted I slept for 5 hours and am ready to go to bed now.

Apologies to my buddy and hope you like what I send.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9214182

Hope your feeling better soon Crit! Summer colds are never any fun!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9214297

Hi all! Sorry I've been so scarce. I started volunteering full-time with a dog rescue group and I was told the position would average 3-4 hours a week. So far, it's been 7-8 hours A DAY. I wasn't prepared for the amount of time so everything else has fallen by the wayside. I do send the sincerest apologies to my swap buddy. I will make every effort to make it up to you when I send my box this week.

Also, I received my box from warriorwisdomkathy yesterday. I have to say I love it all immensely! Ihope the pictures turn out okay. I took some last night but my step-son borrowed my laptop last night and he's still sleeping, so the iPad camera is my only option!

And Kathy, if the tags were attached, they weren't any more and fell out of the box with the papers so I'll probably screw this up!

Old: a pretty pink vase! I love pink things and this vase will do great on the counter when I pick my wildflower bouquets.
New: a Chesapeake Bay Candle in Hinoki Bonsai scent (a mix of lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint, vanilla, and cedar wood) what a complex and divine smell!
Borrowed: "The Well-Planned Garden" Kathy, did you peak into my yard and know I need all the help I can get ???!
Blue: Kathy cheated a bit here, but you will hear no complaints from me! She sent two blue items. First is an adorable hand-painted blue heart-shaped cup and saucer set. Second, two bulbs of Iris "Denver Delight". Kathy, that is one absolutely gorgeous iris. I'm so excited that I have the perfect spot for them right by my front door. :)

I'll have to post pictures later since apple and dg don't want to cooperate.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9214676

So glad they arrived, hope all were ok though, that vase was a bit big for the box by a hair...the pix below are of a couple different of my blue iris, I'm thinking one of them is Denver Delight. Let me look and see if I can figue out which.

It looks like the first one is Denver Delight, had to enlarge so I could tell by the plants around it.. Is new to bloom for me this year (got last June From a local mail order Iris nursery, if you like to read up on it and see another pix go to Longsirisgardens.com they are located in Boulder, Co. Gosh it's a perttty one hope you enjoy even tho I cheated, lol...

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 1:46 PM

Lol...I forgot about the tags, sorry I meant to attatch them but the package was already taped, Lol...I had my grandaughter make them for you, and I didn't want her to know, ooops...So I stuffed them in the flap, how funny, and you guessed them all correctly...Kathy. Ps...I figured the book for borrowed as I bought from the library used book sale, didn't know you needed one, was just guessing. Atleast now you have a reference book, lol...

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 1:53 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9215067

Here's a picture so you can see everything I received today. :)

Kathy, I planted my first bunch of iris this past spring and they're one of the few things I've planted that the deer haven't touched! Of course, once they bloom that'll be a different story (I got to see one of the mini glad bloom stalks before it was eaten) lol Either way, I can't wait to see. The pictures look beautiful and reminds me of the ones my grandmother used to grow. I truly appreciate you throwing those in for me. I'm excited to see them bloom, hopefully next spring!

Joy, I am so sorry to read about Lucy. I'm glad I got to meet that sweet girl a few months ago. You have some wonderful guardians.

Thumbnail by careyana

scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9216647

Here is a photo of the box that I sent Garden Quail.
Old: old-fashioned cocktail napkins with antique type print
New: Necklace
Borrowed: CD copied from one of mine, instrumental flutes, nature sounds
Blue: T-shirt from my home state of South Carolina

Thumbnail by scbuttercup

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9217287

My buddy's box WILL be going in tomorrow's mail! I had a great idea for "Borrowed" - finally!

I truly apologize to my buddy. It will be boxed tonight and in tomorrow's mail via Priority. I've tried to recompense for my slacking!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

July 25, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9217748

can someone direct me to that Likes/dislikes place.? I have been there, but am not able to find it . If you send me the link, tell me how to find it in case I lose the link again??!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9218582

(((Joy))) Lucy was a beautiful Girl and lived an extraordinary long life. Letting go is never easy and from having the pleasure to meet Lite, much more well-behaved than many children I've encountered, it's obvious how much all your working Dogs mean to you. My heart still goes out to you losing such a faithful, long-time companion.

Kathy, we have matching watering cans now, although mine's not old in the greater scheme of things.

Here ya go, Crystal: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1157183/
If you need to find the thread again, click on deejay9's name, then the threads she's started, and scroll down to 'A Few Of My Favorite Things'.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9218598

Box is on its way! Hopefully they won't bring it back to the house (had that happen once before)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9219901

I am sorry tp sat that it appears that Martha, ridoodles, is not answering her dmails. She received a lovely package from Joyce and had already sent her package to Crystal so we wish her well and hope that she comes back soon.

Joyce, can you tell us what you sent her?

Joy

This message was edited Jul 26, 2012 10:30 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9220329

I sure hope everything is ok for her. Always worry when someone is missing.

I sent
A blue beach towel my something new to her
A blue solar light my blue to her
A big garden book I found at a garage sale my old to her
A kitchen scrubber made by a friend of mine my borrowed to her
rofl this is from memory so...rofl

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9220758

uh oh, not good...looked at the tracking info and it says "Out for delivery" -...yesterday. And today's is "delivery status not available".

Egad.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9220821

Hi, all.
Carey, hopefully your buddy has received her box and just hasn't had a chance to post yet.
I, too, hope all is well with ridoodles and that she can check in again soon.
Judy, thanks for posting the pic for me :)
Crit, hope you're feeling better soon!
Have a great week, everyone!
Michelle

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
11:44 PM

Post #9221089

Carey...just to set your mind at ease, deer hate iris...and boy oh boy am I glad...wish they hated lilies as much...
pix is a new lily, bloomng on the porch. I'll be planting soon, atleast I got to see it bloom once...
forever hopeful, Kathy...

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9221336

Thanks Kathy! Of course, the deer here don't know what they're not supposed to like!

I've had them eat "deer resistant"...cast iron plant, agapanthus, crinums, yarrow, bougainvillea, pelargoniums, etc.

Thankfully, they've avoided the peruvian daffodils so far...but then, those haven't bloomed yet either. That seems to be when they decide to taste test. (right now, their favorites are my begonias and mandevilla that are right by my front door on my porch. The doggies in the window don't scare them in the least!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9221342

Delivery status still not updated from Thursday night. Guess I need to call. :(

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9221795

I'm guessing no one found a box on their porch today? :(
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9223098

I have not received a box yet, am I the last one?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9223586

Well, thankfully it shows my box finally arrived in the right town...here's hoping it goes out today.

Of course, not within the boundaries set by the USPS clan for "priority". Phooey. Guess I need to go call them again. :/
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9224080

Carey, I forget which swap it was for well over a year ago, but I Priority Mailed two boxes to my buddy on the same day. One took the usual 2-3 days and the other one took an entire week. Go figure.

We're in the proverbial boat together, Judy, unless your box was delivered today. Not worried a bit for either of us since everyone here is reputable. Stuff happens sometimes that makes us late sending. I still haven't mailed my July plant swap yet and the month is almost over.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9224122

Fruity, according to the post office email, there was a package delivered today. I sure hope my buddy is home to open it, and that everything made it safe.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9224202

Oh I do too :)

You know, this was one of the most challenging swaps I've ever been in and really hope, Joy, you'll make it an annual event. Meant to mention earlier that I'm thinking about Martha / ridoodles too and hope all is well with her. Every DG member, not just paid subscribers, have access to their D-mails.

susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9224479

Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that my box arrived today. I have been out of commission for a couple of weeks so my outgoing box is going in the mail Weds (the 1st). Sorry for the delay and I will get pics up sometime today. This is my last swap, also.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9224764

Susan, there are several of us who didn't quite get things out on time. Did everything make it okay? I tried to put things in the box that you would like/enjoy.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9224880

Yes, Carey, it all arrived in one piece! Pics coming soon :)

ridoodles

ridoodles
Warwick, RI
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9231249

Sorry this is late but I did receive a lovely box of super gifts from Joyce "Happy Garden"..Thank you Joyce..
The something Old was a very large garden book full of wonderful ideas for planning gardens..a great resource I will treasure as I do not have many garden books yet...
The something New was a wonderful solar garden light that now sits in my front garden, looks great at night.
The something Borrowed was a really nice handmade crochet scrubber that really works well..She should market these Joyce, I would purchase more...if you could let her know for me...I will post photos soon of all the gifts..
and the something Blue was a wonderful large pretty blue beach towel as she read my post and really honed in to what I had wrote...
and she added an extra which was a wonderful beach scene wind chime which adorns my under deck by the pool area.
Wonderful Wonderful things , very well done Joyce, I thank you for your gifts you sent my way..it was worth the wait, for sure..
:-)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9231284

Glad you recvd them and nothing was damaged always a worry.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9231333

Can't wait to see the pictures of your items!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9231591

Great box Happ! Can't wait to see pictures! :)
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9231762

Here is a pic of my box of goodies :)

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g358/susanl61520/2012-08-04_12-17-10_561.jpg

This message was edited Aug 6, 2012 1:26 PM

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9231929

Susan, I guess this was before your daughter appropriated the notepad? :)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9232045

OK, we have four folks still waiting on their boxes and I only have one person's reason for lateness.
Please let me know if I am wrong here:

Fruity (her partner has contacted both her and me, thanks)
Jax jsxtiger I have not heard from her nor have had her answer any of my dmails. Anyone?
Judy scbuttercup
LK taters55

With the exception of Jax, every sender (to these ladies) has already received a package in this swap. The mail out was July 4th, it is now August 6. I feel terrible since I am the hostess of this swap and it is my responsibility to run it smoothly. If you have not mailed your package yet, please contact me immediately and tell me why. If I missed someone and they did receive a package please let me know. If Jax is not participating perhaps we can do a work around, but we need to get this swap finished! I really thought it would be a great idea but apparently I was wrong and won't offer this swap again.

Joy
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 6, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9232049

:(

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9232055

I'm truly sorry it didn't work out Joy. Well intentioned, and a great subject that made us all think!
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9232293

I received my box today from Jax. It included seeds, a blue bag, a miniature red white and blue pitcher set and some candles. Not sure but guessing the candles were something old, pitcher set was new, seeds were borrowed and the bag was something blue. Thank you Jax. Camera issues, will not be able to do a photo right now.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9232451

Carey- she let me borrow it for the pic. lol

If i need to send to someone else, let me know please

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

August 7, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9232675

This was a great idea for a swap and I sure enjoyed it, but I understand your frustration with not finishing it up, Joy. i think I would feel the same.
Makes me wonder if some of these people are sick or in crisis. Or maybe they are just forgetful like I am sometimes. More the reason to do things quickly, at least for me!
Kris (Mud_elf) is having a bad time physically right now. She has several problems all convening on her at once, high cholesterol, Thyroid, and kidney problems. I am sure she would appreciate hearing from any of you who know her. Or any who just want to reach out.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9232777

Does Elfie still check in here (DG)? Should we send snail mail?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9232820

Elfie, checks in once in awhile on the Birthday thread.

This is not the only swap, with late pressies, sometimes life gets in the way, but they seem to come through at the end.

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9233041

dont beez too upset, rouxcrew! i apologiz fer me lateness, but twas out of me control! tis been bad year start fer me...everythin seemed ta go wrong since feb. i admit, have not had time ta follow thread...but i thought i did answer your mail. tis so sorry ta evryone fer holding ya up!

edit ta say...now i see me box got there...hope ya liked it!

This message was edited Aug 7, 2012 11:49 AM

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9233094

Jax we have all been so worried about you! Missed the parties you always throw and your delightful charm! LOL. Glad to mark you among the living.

Joy
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9233555

Joy, You're the first Hostess I can think of in all the exchanges I've been in who made us think outside the box, so to speak, and challenged us to only send four items, a feat in itself for many of us. Don't be down on yourself because a couple of people are / were late sending. I'm always available to send a make-up box should you ever need one. The crux is once names are assigned for any swap, the game is on and it's totally up to the participants to follow through. Stuff happens and I'll sleep better tonight knowing you're alright, Jax.

This IS a great idea for a swap and would really love to see ONBB repeated and am ready when you say the word, Joy.

Raise your hands if you feel the same way!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9233678

I really enjoyed the swap and please don't take lateness personal. All the swaps I enter some are always late for a million different reasons and sometimes it is me sadly. One time I sent the very day I got my name and all thru the swap the rest of the time for a split second I would think I had forgotten to send...rofl
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
12:07 AM

Post #9233816

Hi, all.
My hand is raised... this was a fun swap. Definitely required a bit of creativity, but that was part of the fun :)
Hope the last few boxes make it to their intended people soon!
Michelle

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2012
1:45 AM

Post #9233824

...ya need ta do it again! ya made ol people use brain muscles they fergit they had!!!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

August 8, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9233992

I enjoyed it so much and it has made me more aware of things that could fit into the categories. A little more thinking and awareness is always good!
Maybe if you cannot bear to do it again, Joy, someone else will take up the banner.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9234039

Thanks guys, I will give it a go next time. Maybe it will be a bit easier on people now that it has been done once.

Joy
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9235168

Hi, all.
Woo hoo! I bet you we'll all see all kinds of possibilities for the categories between now and then :)
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9237594

Well ladies, I have received a box from none other than rouxcrew (Joy), as my partner has not been heard from. So Joy stepped up to the plate, and sent me a wonderful box!

First of all is the something old... a wonderful pillow she made from and old quilt.
Second is something new... a beautiful glass wind chime that sounds so pretty in the wind!
Third is something borrowed... a really nice hard cover Birds and Bloom gardening book.
Fourth is something blue... a nice journal I can use for gardening or other thoughts for the day!

Thanks so much Joy, I love everything you sent!

Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9237943

I am so glad it made it ok and you like everything. I am sorry that Hollysmamma is not a team player especially since I went to some trouble to make her a very nice box. Hooray!!! Now we are waiting on Jax and Fruity to get their boxes, both of whom should be receiving them soon.

Joy

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9238332

Joy that is such a pretty pillow. I knew you were talented, but I didn't realize THAT talented!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9238338

Thanks Carey, it really wasn't that difficult, just used a template and an old quilt that was past its prime.

Joy
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9238511

You could work wonders with a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt my late Mother made for hubby many moons ago and has seen better days. Thank you, Joy, for going out of your way to send an additional box to LK. All four gifts are in the true spirit of this swap.

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9238753

like your goodies linda kay nice box

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9239259

Great boxes...yeah...my votes in, AGAIN PLEASE, lol, this was alot of fun, thanks JOY!!!!!!

ridoodles

ridoodles
Warwick, RI
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9240498

Thank you Joy it was a fun idea..didnt mean to complain at all but I took it seriously. I know things happen in peoples lives, I can be a back up next time if need be.

Just a thought..
Martha

On a side note , Joyce where can I get more of those crochet scrubbers ? This little thing is working so well I wish I had more...
Martha
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9241821

Hi, all.
LK, that's a cool box!
Joy, that's a neat idea to convert an old quilt into a pillow :)
I look forward to finding out what's in the last two boxes to be delivered!
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9243045

Me too, Michelle, since I'm the recipient of one of them. My old may very well have turned into an antique 0:)

Martha, One of my Aunt's used to make the most beautiful fine tatted lace (she left me one of her shuttles), and another one had the gift of crochet and before she passed gave me a delicate oval Pineapple patterned curtain that hung for ages on her front door. How I'd love to learn to crochet. Simple stitches I'm comfortable with are chain stitches and single crochet. A neighbor taught me how to knit when I was a kid, have been hooked on it ever since, and it is one of my favorite Winter past times.
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9243180

Those crocheted lace items are so tiny! My mother tried to teach me that but the hardest part for me was keeping it flat and not bunching up. So much harder than knitting a sweater.
Last month when I went to my 30th high school reunion and stayed at my mother's she gave me a family heirloom: an ecru hand crocheted lace tablecloth made by my grandmother! I am planning a nice litle family dinner just our two daughters and my husband and I to see off our oldest daughter as she goes to Scotland for a semester of college. We will miss her so much and I'll tell her when she gets back at Christmas the four of us will have dinner together with our special tablecloth and hear stories of her adventures.
I can see we need to have a knit crochet forum for winter!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9243320

Darn you ladies talking knitting! Of all things, my DH is the knitter in the family. Our first Christmas together, he gave me a half-finished cable knit sweater. I guess to make sure I stayed around it took him five years to finish. lol! He knitted his mom a beautiful cardigan last year (he was much faster at that one, he's such a mama's boy) and now he's working on one for himself. He likes following plans and isn't so good at improvising, but he's trying to vary the pattern on this new one a bit. His favorite time to knit is when he's travelling. He always gets weird looks or compliments when he pulls out his knitting needles on the plane. lol
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9243938

Hi, all.
Oh how special to receive those items crocheted by your grandmothers! I have a friend at the Blind Center who crochets with thread and makes beautiful tops and all sorts of things. I've crocheted a couple of things with a thick thread, but most of the things I've made have been with yarn. It amazes me that people can crochet with some of those threads... They're SO thin!
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9243963

About all I can crochet is granny squares for an afghan. Sure wish I could follow directions!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9243974

If you can make the granny squares consistently the same size, you could make some neat afghans. There are some really cool patterns out there, but I hesitate to try them 'cause I'm not sure I can really get them all the same size. Perhaps some day...
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9245146

The same Aunt, who crocheted, kept busy in her spare time making her children, grandchildren, and later great- and great-great Grands many Granny Square Afghans when she wasn't working or canning or freezing food. She was married to a farmer (a miser to put it mildly and he was far from being a favorite Uncle), and times were hard for her just raising and feeding their kids. Buying yarn was a luxury and remember going to K-Mart with her as she picked through the skeins on sale. She must have saved money from selling eggs or veggie plants she'd grown from seeds. It was always such a treat to stay with her two weeks each Summer. One of the last ones, she was so excited to finally have a hoop greenhouse. That's the same year I begged for a dip of snuff and she gave me one...lol First and last time. I must have been 10 or 12 years old then.

Judy, your tablecloth sounds beautiful and know you can hardly wait for your daughter to be home with the rest of your family for a Christmas celebration. I think it's beyond wonderful she has an opportunity to study abroad.

I don't know if it's true or not, Carey, but have heard men were the first to knit. Cudos to your hubby for not fearing the opinion of others when he whips out his yarn and needles. And this is the same talented manly man who built your potting bench. You definitely have a keeper :)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9245270

Yep Fruity, one and the same! The same one who almost took his thumb off building that same potting bench! Maybe he should stick to knitting - the worse he can do is poke himself in the eye. :)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9245873

I have a crocheted afghan a friend gave me that her husband did.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9246528

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275086/

Wind chime swap is open, come and check it out!

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9265058

Coming out from uner the table to write a note ta me buddy...whosoever ya may be, listen up. dont ya be worried bout sending me no box, now, ya hear? Lordy knows, i beez done had so much problem with me own box...being late, confused and such, ...that i's not mind not gitting one...not one's little mite! i's was content enuff, jist gitting it outta me hands! i beez as happy as a two toned skunk...boxless! it wont stop me from participating next time (iffin i feels finer) Luvs ya!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9265122

I am so sorry Jax, I have spoken to your buddy repeatedly, Susanl61520, and all I got for my trouble was empty promises. You are welcome anytime.

Joy

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
3:26 AM

Post #9265440

...dont be! ya did a fine job! an i feel good about me efforts...an am satisfied! see ya next time!

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9273833

...see, when ya spend so much time under the table...peoples dont pay ya no mind! i was content! now, here comes fruity, sends me a box chocked full! hers send...
OLD/BAILEY'S GIRL CUP (me fav)
NEW/BLUE COOKIE BLUE TIN
BORROWED/NICE FRIENDLY PIC FRAME
BLUE/BIRD FEEDER

awww, ya really, really didnt have ta! but i do luv it, so much! THANK YALL!

Thumbnail by jsxtiger

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9274055

Awesome box!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9274106

Neat box :)
Hey, perhaps you can take a picture of the birds that come to your new bird feeder, and put the picture in your new picture frame! :)
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9288443

Fabulous idea, Michelle! This thread totally went off my radar and didn't find it til I was scrolling through old posts and found a 'Yes' new post on page 4...geez I'm sorry for not responding earlier, Jax.

That Bailey's Girl cup had your name all over it. Actually everything was new except that cutie pie cup I found it in 1997. The picture frame I claimed as borrowed since my SIL left it here one Christmas and we didn't give it to her. How were the butter cookies in the blue tin? I'm sure they're all gone by now :)

Judy, I was going to use your idea to copy a CD but was out of blanks and still haven't picked up a new pack. Oh well, I'll be better prepared the next time.

Joy, Am I the last one to receive? No hurry answering since you're probably up to your eyeballs getting ready for your RU this week-end at the Farm. Sure wish I could be there to see you again and meet some more Texans. All ya'll attending have a whopping good time!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9288462

Yes Fruity we are still waiting on Crit and I hope she comes through for you. One of these days you need to make the trip out here and stay for a while.

Everything is working against me toward getting ready for Saturday but it will come anyway and it will all work out. It always does
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9300074

YES Fruity dear... you WILL get your box!!!!!!! I have it here. Without going into all the details and probably boring you as well, I will get it out as soon as I have the money for postage. I SWEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9300194

Hi crit haven't seen u in awhile. Hope everything is going ok.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9307397

Thanks happ. Between my back and some other things, I just have not had the energy to get online. I read my email and a little on Facebook, then back to real life. I'll be fine though. Thanks for thinking of me.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America