Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Daylilies: Waiting for first bloom on seedlings

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 7, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

June 15, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9166212

After all these years, I planted my first daylily seeds outside in 1987, you would think I was tired of it. The first seeds were an unknown red I picked up at a regional market and never did identify, crossed with wild ditch lily pollen. I always did have to do things the hard way which annoyed my poor father no end. I got eight seeds from a whole summers pollinating and the plants are still back in the weeds somewhere, wild looking little bicolors. This year a batch of H rosea seedlings that I never lined out, about two hundred of them crowded together, sent up five scapes. Well I am going bananas running out there wondering what color they will be, will they be spiders, will the blasted thrips and red spiders wreck the buds, are the scapes. so tall they will flop like a lot of early hybrids did before they started breeding for shorter scapes.( I think they over-did this and ended up with some large flowers barely a foot high) and I actually sprayed the dumb things for thrips. My wife may move out, but, if I can tolerate her old movies, she can put up with my obsessions---we've made it for almost forty years, no point fighting now!----------------------------Weedy

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9166672

Weedy I agree. Forty years is a long time. I got a long way to go to get to forty. I will be doing good if I am still alive then. LOL!!
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

June 30, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9187360

Bloomed, out before breakfast or coffee----pinky orange, narrow, reflexed, five feet tall, very delicate appearing fulva. I'm regaining my interest in the species, although, it's almost impossible to think of what to cross it with-guess I will just enjoy!

Polymerous

Polymerous
Saratoga, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9199922

The anticipation is half the fun, isn't it?

A good part of the other half comes with trying to figure out what - if anything - to cross it with.

But there is always that enjoyment factor.

I have a couple of old diploid seedlings which I mostly just keep around for sentiment's sake; they were my first "successful" (lol) poly seedlings, but they each also have their own quirky (because of form issues) appeal for me. One I wouldn't bother crossing to anything, but the other one (even though I have mostly moved away from diploids) I am now reconsidering... (as though I don't have enough other crosses going on!). Even if I don't cross it, though, it is a cheerful yellow and I look forward to seeing it bloom every year. (It didn't bloom last year - too dry - and I sorely missed it.)

(I agree with you on "too short" daylilies, by the way. Unless a daylily has something special or some trait that I absolutely have to have, I won't look at anything with a scape below 30" now. I think, though, that it helps the shorter ones (for whatever reason you have them) if you can put them into a raised bed (18" or higher), or at the top/edge of a retaining wall. At least you can get a closer (if not face-to-face) view of the flowers that way.)
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9200054

If I have a shorter one I cant part with, I just put it in the front of some taller ones or the front of any bed. The shorter ones I also put under the shrubs I have trimmed up. That way the scape doesnt get all up in the scrubs.

Isnt the anticipation glorious. Painful at times, but wonderful.

What drives my culling, is color and rust magnets. . I dont go for munge. Probably why some of my yellows are my favorites. I did have one I saved this year that is brownish. It was huge tho, great plant habit, giant scapes and flowers to match. Its a double with teeth...just cant cull it. Im going to use it to practive clarifying colors...or at least try

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9201111

Sounds like you're having great fun, Weedy. I know what you mean about big flowers on too short scapes. I have one, and if I didn't like the flower so much, I'd get rid of it. It's called MYNELLE'S STARFISH. I also hate it when I end up having to stake my daylilies. I have several tall ones, all dips, that are like that. The ones that come to mind are GRAPE VINEYARD, KING SIZE, NINA WINEGAR, CHESTER CYCLONE, CHESAPEAKE CRABLEGS, and one other whose name I'm having trouble remembering right now.

Also annoying is how some daylilies bloom just at the top of the foliage, or just barely at the top. One that comes to mind it MATT, and I keep it only because it's so beautiful.

The first pic is of MYNELLE'S STARFISH, and the second is of MATT.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Click an image for an enlarged view.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9201115

According to registered info, MYNELLE'S STARFISH and MATT are both supposed to be 20". MATT does seem to be that height, but MS is much shorter in my garden. I think it's only about 12". Really short for a 10" bloom. Even 20" is short for that big of a bloom.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9201289

I hate real short daylilies. I got rid of Matt because of the flowers blooming in the foilage. It is a pretty flower though.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America