Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Cucumber plants

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 146
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9166788

All my veggies in the garden were coming up nicely then I noticed this on my cucumber plants can anyone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it? Never seen this before originally from Michigan everything new here in Tennessee
Thanks for the help
KK

Thumbnail by kountrykitten   Thumbnail by kountrykitten   Thumbnail by kountrykitten
Click an image for an enlarged view.

janet214
Grass Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9205200

I would guess maybe you have been overhead watering before or during the plant is exposed to sun...so sunburnt. Or you could have some sucking kinda bug underneath the leaves. If it is bug you need to find out which kind so you can treat it, if you are watering plants in the sun...get a wand to water at ground level. Or change you watering schedule to a hour before the sun hits them.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 15, 2012
2:22 AM

Post #9205580

I agree with Janet, looks like sunburn.
Belle

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9205882

Another vote for overhead watering. Start watering very, very early in the morning or even late in the evening at the base of the plants only. When the sun hits the water, it boils it and burns the leaves on the plants. They should be able to recover and go on to produce, so switch to watering at the base.
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9226961

thank you ladies I have a soaker hose around them now, and water early morning...My crops have took a beating this year. We are in a drought and wow been tough on everything...
KK
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9227333

Looks to me more like sun/wind burn due to the plants not being hardened off. Overhead watering is usually not a culprit and doesn't come into play in Tn.

See how the "burnt" leaves are the first true leaves? Notice the leaves below are the cotyledons only? Those plants were set out directly from a sheltered area into direct sun and wind.

On a better, more positive note, I'm glad to hear all your plants are doing well now, Kountrykitten.

Shoe
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9239806

thanks Sue for your info I picked my first two cucumbers this morning. I planted them from seed maybe I should plant them from plants next year. Thanks for your help

kk

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America