Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Carnivorous Plants: Repotting

Communities > Forums > Carnivorous Plants
bookmark
Forum: Carnivorous PlantsReplies: 5, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 15, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9166848

Started to repot most of my CP's. Pitcher plants, no problem except they were so root bound I had to cut them out of the pots! The real pain are the VFT's. They started looking poorly this year and I realized the soil had degraded and that they had reproduced to the point of being crazy. It took me a long time to get dozens of small, med. and large plants out of one pot. I got 6 pots from 1! I just couldn't throw away the tiny ones. I still have a very large pot to divide and have no idea what I will do with all of the plants in that one. I hope they survive being transplanted in this heat. They are in the shade for a few days and then its back into full sun.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw   Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9167326

I usually repot mine when it's time to wake them up in the spring as they come out of dormancy.

That Sarracenia looks healthy!

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 16, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9167381

Thats when I should have done it. But I still would have had dozens of little plantlets to deal with. I keep mine out all year so the only advantage would be cooler temps. I am hoping they have time to recover this summer.
That Judith Hindle was the first Sar. I bought many years back and I just now repotted the poor thing! I should have taken a pick, no soil just a little moss on the bottom and top and I had to cut the pot apart to get the plant out. It is a very robust grower and extremely hardy.
C
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 16, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9168017

4 more Sar. repotted today. One plant looks like it still needs an even bigger pot but its roots fit nicely so it should be ok. Now I need a bigger container to soak them all in. Anyone have an old claw foot tub for sale? Or, a nice old double utility sink?
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

June 22, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9176633

You sure do have a hefty knack at growing them there Sarracenias Cheryl. Awesome pictures of your stock!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 22, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9176643

They are old plants. It took them 4 years to grow that large. I bought 4 new plants this year and hope they get growing because they are pretty small now.
C

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carnivorous Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vegitarian Plants BogweedBuck 15 Aug 1, 2008 9:14 AM
You all have got to see this! Equilibrium 21 Oct 15, 2008 5:40 PM
Philcula, bog pot or ground bog for new sarracenia hybrid GSkinner 36 Jan 17, 2010 7:35 AM
Let's make a little bog garden! Pixydish 31 Oct 4, 2007 3:17 AM
A couple of my CPs I have yet to kill off Gerris2 9 Apr 28, 2007 7:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America