Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Orchid Cactus: Grace Ann's first bloom!!!

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 14, Views: 166
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9167204

It is so exciting when a new Epi blooms. This is Grace Ann. I bought these cuttings off of Ebay 2 years ago and I've got blooms already. I ended up with 2 baskets ... so if anyone would like some cuttings just LMK.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl   Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

wholyhosta
Lula, GA

June 19, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9171450

Congratulations on such speedy blossoms. I am sending you a message. We are practically neighbors!

Brenda B

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9242980

avi_ocd---

Your bloom looks just like mine. I have had this Epi since 2005. Last year was the first time it bloomed.
It just blew me away.
This year--it continued to dazzle me--with at least 10 blooms.

I do notknow the name of it--but if it is just like yours--you gave a name.

Here are a couple of pictures. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9243212

Absolutely Beautiful! WOW!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9243277

Thanks, Tim...
I have many plants that most people around here have never heard of.
Of course--all the DG people around here, by now, have most of them as well--
as I have shared a lot.

I have 3 different Brugs, Two red Epis, a Ric Rac cactus, A Brazilian Plume flower,
Pregnant Onions, Clivias, Grow Daturas from seed, and had a climbing onion--but it rotted out this year.

I have even sent Brug cuttings to Florida...odd, isn't it?

Gita
--NOID pink Brug
--Dr. Seuss Brug
--Maya Brug
--Used to have a Rosamond brug--long gone

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9243332

Gitagal, Your Brugs are beautiful. Are they all in containers? I'm surprised that you have such good luck with them so far North. I have one here in a container, and I'm not having much success with it. It's the first one that I've tried. Wanted to put it in the ground, but I haven't found what I feel is a suitable spot. They are beautiful, and smell so good!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9243694

Tim---

I plant my Brugs Pot-into-a-Pot. Leaned this long time ago on Garden Web.
Plant the pot in a pot in the bed--or in a bigger pot. If you dig up your Brugs to bring in--
you just dig up the inner pot...

I have written a "Primer" on seasonal care of brugs. It is a bit long--but may I post it here?
Copy it out. Of course--you all do not take your Brugs in for the winter--DO YOU?

The Brug Care primer is aimed at care in this area. You may still gain something from it...
Gita

****************************************************************************Here it is:

Re Brugmansias-----...
Spring and Fall and Winter care….by Gita

I plant my Brugs Pot-in-Pot...By that I mean---get a black, or other cheap, plastic, 2-3gal. pot and cut 4-5 1" holes around the lower half of the pot (for the roots to grow out of--if they need to) and then sink THIS pot 1/2-3/4's of the way into a much bigger Patio pot, or in a flower bed--leaving the rest of the smaller pot sticking out above the soil level.

This provides the Brugs with the cooler temps the roots like---keeps them from drying out as quickly--and also keeps them from blowing over in windy storms. Still--I have had even the bigger pots of Brugs blow over if they were Pot-in-Pot above ground---like on a patio. Their leaves act as parachutes...BAM! Over they go!!!!
I put 2-3 bricks on top of the pot to try to counteract this...Works sometimes???? Sometimes NOT!

When it comes time to bring your Brugs in for the Winter--lift the smaller pot out of the big pots--or the flowerbed-- YES! You will have to sever the roots that grew out those holes and trim off any remaining roots sticking out— NO HARM DONE!
Put a plastic bag around that pot for the winter--to keep the exposed roots from drying out--and haul the whole thing into your basement. Light is not necessary—but OK
if you have some. I have NO light to speak of, and they make it OK.
Unheated garages are not the greatest--unless you can run a small heater in there--just to keep the temps above freezing...Water just a tiny bit during this dormancy period.
You can also remove most of the leaves before bringing the plants in,
as they will fall off anyway. Leave the leaves on the stem-tips be!

IF your Brug has grown all wide and big during the Summer--you will have to prune it back--just try not to prune below the first "Y" of the stem...Brugs HAVE TO "Y" before they can bloom! Simple as that!
Rooting cuttings taken from above the "Y" will guarantee sooner bloom the following year. Stem cuttings taken from below the 1st "Y" root just as well--but you will now have to wait until that stem cutting grows tall and “Y"s on it's own before expecting any blooms from your new Brug. Sometimes this won't be before October.

The trimmed stems can be cut up in 6"-7" pieces and rooted--right into a 5"-6"pot of fresh soil mix. You can use Rooting Hormone on the ends if you like...
Shove the cutting all the way to the bottom of the pot. Keep it barely moist for now.

I have found that stem cuttings root so much more easily--compared to tip cuttings. In a matter of weeks--do the gentle tug test...There WILL be resistance...That means it has started to root in. Celebrate!

When new leaf-growth nubs start to appear--you will need to water a bit more regularly...Keep it just moist, though until leaves appear. Watch for wilting!
Let the plant tell you when...:o) Also a weak fertilizer might help here at this point...like--1/2 strength MG. The 7 drops to a quart kind--in the green bottle--for Houseplants...

In the SPRING--
When I bring my Brugs out from their dormancy --I keep them in shade for about a week...then in filtered light for a week--and then in the bright light they will be living in...By now--most of them are back to normal and growing already.
Usually--they don't even "blink"...just turn all green and march on...

About every 2-3 years--you will need to root-prune the root ball. Trust me--It will NOT hurt the plant!!!! Brugs are nearly indestructible!

To root-prune--pull out the Brug from the smaller pot it has been growing in--get an old, sharp, kitchen knife---and just slice away. Cut off the outer part (rind) of the root ball--maybe 1"-2". Don't be shy! It won't hurt the Brug..
Cut off the same amount from the bottom of the root ball. Doing this will be VERY invigorating to the plant!
Re-pot in the same “holey” pot--adding fresh soil mix, with maybe some Osmacote
(slow release) type of a fertilizer mixed in, and fill back around the now smaller root-ball with this soil mix –do the bottom first--- then the edges and a top-dressing as well.
Water in well.
NOW-- You are set for a whole new Season...Not so hard!!!!
***Brugmansias like a bright, sunny spot, but need a bit of protection from the searing, afternoon sun.

Hope this helps all of you “newbie” Brug-growers. These plants are tough!
Feed them weekly and keep them watered. In hot weather—every day!
Literally—sometimes 2 gallons a day! If they wilt—they will come right back.
Later in the season—yellowing leaves are of no concern. This happens….
Just remove them.
***NOTE***Brugmansias are toxic if ingested!!!! Be safe!
Wash your hands after working with them!

The only thing you will need to look out for is Mites on the leaves.
This could happen overnight. Leaves will look mottled. A sure sign you have them.
Spray the whole plant with “Neem” or other insecticide that lists Mites, especially the undersides of the leaves and the new growth. Repeat as needed—every 2 weeks.
You can also use Systemic Granules (Espoma makes it), applied to the soil and watered in, which should help. Systemics are absorbed into the plants “system”, making all the juices toxic to sucking insects. It also kills any bugs that have crawled into the soil.
I would suggest you print this out and save it...for future reference.

Gita

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9243708

Outstanding info Gita, Thanks so much. I did not realize that it was so easy to do stem cuttings. Great info… :-)
Maybe mine will start improving before the end of Summer!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9243709

Tim--Meant to say we have all the hot weather here too--the brugs do not really like that.
This past year has been in the 90's and over 100*. Horrible!!!!

None of the bugs and harmful critters died off. They just chewed up my whole garden (Spider Mites).

Of course--we DO have winters---except last year--so we have to dig up and bring things in.
I do not think too many people around this area grow Brugs. I only have them because
I am a DG'er--and we swap and share...

The winters can be random. Sometimes it seems we live in AK--and sometimes there is NO winter at all...

This is 2009. How does this grab you?????

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9243716

Ewwww!…It's pretty to look at through a window, but hated getting out in it! Moved here from R.I. about 40 years ago…Got sand in my shoes, and could not go back! LOL! On another note, we have been REALLY hot this Summer, so that I'm sure could be part of my problem with this guy. Thanks! Pretty pictures, but you can keep that snow! :-)))))
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 16, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9244090

Great info, even though I don't grow Brugs or have cold winters! The same would work for many of the more tropical plants we grow, and you gave great step by step instructions. Living in So. Cal. , I can't imagine having to dig and store shrubs for the winter, but I read these sites, and realize alot of folks do. This seems the easiest solution I have read about.
Now if someone could tell me how to grow Paeonies in this climate, I would be a happy camper. LOL!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9244146

All I can tell you about Peonies is that they are extremely long-lived perennials. They can live for 100 yrs.
They do not like to be moved----but if you must--do it around the end of August.
Try to dig up as many of the roots without chopping any off.

The other thing I can tell you is that when you plant a Peony--the "pips" (the red root buds that will grow into stems)
cannot be planted more than 2" below soil surface. If you plant them too deep--they plant will not bloom.
They will also not bloom if they are not in full sun. A MUST!

Have no idea about their weather preferences---but I would imagine they like a bit of cooler weather. See PF.

I have 5 peonies in my garden. Everything this Spring/Summer finished blooming in a lot shorter
time than usual. Hey! We had 90* already in end of Spring. NOT normal!

Overall--it has not been a good growing season this year because of the hot weather and drought.

Weird thing are happening across the World...Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 17, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9244678

Good advice for another zone, but they need more winter chill than we get here. Also, we get all of our rain during the winter months so our soil stays wet and cold, rotting most dormants. There are some that have been bred for warmer climates, but not ours yet. I did buy a bareroot one three years ago, on a whim. It comes up every spring but only gets about 6" high, and I'm pretty sure I'll never see a bloom on it. LOL!
khyro
Ottawa, ON

August 20, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9247412

av_ocd_girl That is beautiful!! Can cuttings be sent to Canada?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9251677

av_ocd_girl I showed that picture to my best friend. I ordered her Grace Ann for her birthday and that is a really great shot.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America