Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Lettuces

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pantera
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9167313

ok i put all my seedlings in the grown in May I live in Delaware,my romain lettuces is bolting all ready, all other lettuce are ready to pick aswell they look fine. Problem is all other vegetables are still so small no way close to make any fruit.Question how do i plant so I will have lettuce ,tomatoes cuccumbers for a salad with out going down the road buying from my neighbors. pluse I don't need 30 heads of lettuces all at once. Can i keep putting seedling in the grown as I take out the lettuces ? I would like to pick 3 heads a week.
Thank you
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9168716

Plant them intervals that are two to three weeks apart in order to get longer harvest period. Here is an article on succession planting. http://www.veggiegardener.com/succession-planting/ Look on-line at Johnnies Seeds, I believe they might carry heat tolerant lettuce seeds.

However when it gets hot in your area you may either try extending the harvest by using a heat tolerant lettuce or buy down the road. You can also try growing microgreens in the shade or house when it gets hot.

I'm not familiar with the temps in the area but here we are finishing up the lettuce. The reason is that it has been an early and hot year already.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9181839

Yeah, I have just about given up on lettuce till it cools off, and I'm in the same zone as Susan, which is north of you. My Red Sails leaf lettuce was the only one that didn't bolt, now it's bolting too. Johnny's sent me an email the other day promoting their heat tolerant lettuces. That's where I got the Red Sails. Their Jericho Romaine bolted pretty early, even though it was supposed to be heat tolerant. I replanted it, and it bolted again. I'm done w/it all for now.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9182078

Heat tolerant just means that it last longer but not through the summer.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9182771

Maybe (just guessing) providing some shade and keeping the soil unifor5mly mositg will extend you cool-crop season by a few weeks.

Either plant your last few sowings of lettuce where they will get partial shade (especialy late afternoon shade) or set up something with a lattice of slats or hoops with shade clothover them. Just be sure to leave plenty of air circulation , or the shade fabric might act as a greenhouse!

Or plant something like Bok Choy that will take more warmth than lettuce, where the young leaves are good in salad.

I don't know if anyone eats chard raw, even young leaves.

But p[lants grtow when THEY want to grow. It's not like schedulin g a meal to all be ready at the same time. More like trying to schedule a dozen stubburn people to all show up for lunch at the same time.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9182980

BTW - We planted lettuce April 1 and we live in zone 6. Zone 7 should go in sometime before that.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America