Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Clean and Clutter-free: Hi folks my name is Lavina and I have become a hoarder

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 9, Views: 178
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9167337

I don't know when nor how it started but this past year I have gone over board.
I have heels I can no longer wear and lots of clothes as I have gained 70 lbs in 4 years .
Hubby has been sick and says movement makes him dizzy so I have given in and my living room is a mess.Sweeping does not get the job done and the vaccum clearner noise makes his head hurt.
Any ideas on how to get a grip and get me back to normal.
Lavina
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9170673

Lavina, you poor thing. Sounds as if Job No. 1 is getting your husband back on track at least enough so that you can vacuum. If you can't clean, you can't live. Can he wear headphones while you do the housework? And it sounds as if he needs additional treatment to avoid the both of you becoming immobilized. Can you or one of your relatives approach that issue?

You also mention the heels specifically. How about just getting rid of ALL OF THEM. Just toss them, or ask a neighbor to take them ALL to Goodwill. Do not worry about the shoes' future lives; worry about your own. Would that help you to feel more control.

Lavina, you are in a serious situation & you probably need a lot of help getting out. Let's think of some concrete steps & whom you need to call on to get a handle on things before they get worse.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 24, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9178459

I agree with summerkid on all sides. Getting hubby fixed is number one. Living in filth if it is to that point, can't be good for him. Heck, his illness may have to do with conditions in the home such as allergens or mold or something. You just never know.

Anyway...if you need help, it is here for the asking. These Clean and Clutter Free sites have inspired me on more than one occasion to just bite the bullet and take control of situations that had grown out of control.

I wish you great success in getting things under better control soon.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9218976

Lavina, you have taken the first step. Keep going! You are not alone. Step by step, you can get better. Summerkid has some good advice. You can do it!
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9219039

Thank you everyone. I got the house clean then Ed sees empty space n decided we need to go to the other home and get all the furniture and store in the home we bought next door. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

At least he is getting better and I am doing more in his presence than before.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 27, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9220295

Good going Lavina. At least you know you can do it and that is half the battle. Continued good luck.

Ruby
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9220328

Lavina, go the the other home and start de-cluttering it when he's not with you. THEN, when he goes to the other home to bring stuff back, there won't be any junk to bring back!
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9221845

Kay I have already done that 3 years ago
The other house is full of antiques I an't throwing those things away and they aren't comming in the house here either but are gonna be stored.
Sooner or later we willfiqure out how to part with things
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9221921

I understand how you feel, but just think how good that cash would feel if you sold some of those antiques.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 30, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9223587

I am a big one on selling anything that I know doesn't bring me joy when looking at it. In some of my reading recently on the topic of letting go of some things, the author of the report says that it is basically easy to determine how to get rid of things by the feelings we have when looking at an object. If it brings us lots of joy and we kind of light up when gazing upon it, all good, we might want to keep it and use it. If we look at it and it does nothing, or brings about any sort of negative emotions, that is a good prospect for getting rid of.

The author of the program I am involved in and many of the others who are profitting from designing courses and things to help the epidemic in our nation of over abundance, says that our emotions are a good indicator when deciding on what needs to go and what needs to stay. Again, if we begin practicing noticing how our mind and body responds to any given object, we can pretty safely say that we are very slow learners if we can't find it within ourselves to rid the excesses that don't bring any thing positive in to our lives. They especially need to go as soon as possible, if there are negative emotions which rise upon seeing a particular object. Yes, it is very easy for me to preach this concept, but much harder to do in reality. That is why the practice and keeping at it is so important.

I just wrote in another thread something that bears repeating...we didn't get in these messes overnight, and we won't get out of them overnight. It is all a step by step process which is usually very hard to start, but as most of us find after actually getting started, it becomes something we want to do and it actually begins bringing us joy and a much lighter feeling as we begin to dispose of things that currently serve as
energy stealers. I know that I look at messy and disorganized areas in my surroundings, and it is almost as if someone has zapped all of my energy out of me. I need things to give me energy. My goal is to have a home in which each and every room, nook and cranny are holding things that enliven me versus drain me when looking at them.

I guess that I could talk myself blue in the face and no one would believe what I am saying. We each have to find a starting point, go at it and see what happens. I am pretty much convinced that new folks will find what those of us who are further along in the process have found...that we actually enjoy lightening our loads and it becomes something we look forward to being involved in from day to day.

To have some cash in hand due to our efforts is a great feeling too. I am currently involved in yet another down sizing exercise. I have been packing things that I am hoping to sell either on line, on Craigs List or at a yard sale. It has been slow going, due to a busy life with grand children and a lot of house remodeling taking place this summer, but it is coming along and I soon have quite a bit that will be moving out of here.

Here is hoping that the upcoming week will be a good one for all reading and that the productivity fairy pays you a visit and as the week ends that you are able to look at all your efforts and hopefully reap some nice rewards...whether they be of the emotional or the monetary type...both are nice feelings.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America