Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: plant suggestions Please

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 12, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 16, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9167536

I bought one of those floating planters (looks big in my little pond) and I am experimenting with plants to see if I can make it look ok and keep it. I have a dwarf horsetail in the middle and want some vining plants along the edge that dont mind being wet and will grow over the ugly styrafoam. Something vining with small leaves. I was thinking of moneywort but don't know how it will do in a wet container floating in a pond. Anyone have any ideas? It is pretty intense sun so that has to be a factor and its hot in that pond.
Cheryl
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9167714

Cheryl...Actually most of the mints will do well getting wet. A lot of them trail. I have them around the edge of my pond and snip a little as I need it. Water celery (there's a variegated one with pink too) will get thick...as will parrot feather.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 16, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9167905

Its going to be planted in dirt and hopefully will cover up a floating styrafoam planter. Do mints mind sun and heat?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9167934

If they have plenty of water on the roots, they will do fine in the sun :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9178126

My son made me a floating planter and he filled it with hyacinths and the fish just love hiding under it. Sun doesn't bother it. It just bloomed last week.
Bonnie
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 24, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9178390

Those are illegal here. Should be illegal everywhere warm as they are taking over water ways. They are lovely though and clean the water so well.
C
BTW how did he make his planter and do you have a picture? I hate the one I bought its too large and too high out of the water. I was thinking about trying to make a small floating island.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9178400

They're illegal here too, so I just keep them in my contained pond, until my fish eventually eat them. I never throw them away, or put them in an open water area. Just a rubber lined backyard pond.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9179081

Newton,
Floating isl. is so simple you will laugh but it does work very well. I gave him 4 square baskets that are for acquatic plants, you know with all the open squares in them, he zip tied them tog. to form a larger square. Then made a frame from PVC pipe with 45 degree elbows at ea. corner.
Painted it black. Then zip tied the baskets to the frame and it floats perfect. When the rain lets up I will take the plants out and take a pic for you. (if I can remember) That was my Mothers Day gift from him. He knew I wanted one and store bought ones are pricey.
I know hyacinths are illegal but if they die I'll just put them in a trash bag and give them to trash men. The county doesn't want them in our chain of lakes but they already are loaded but I'll make sure I don't add to them.
The floating isl. is very light and esy to pull out of the pond. One day a couple of 6" fish were in the baskets and couldn't get out so I just tipped it all out and out they went. We have decided to cut holes in the bottom so roots can grow thru and fish could get out should they decide to go in there again. For individual potted plants I am going to get some clay tile chimney pipes and set the pots into them. The fish can't knock them over or get inside of them if they are sitting on bottom of pond. Some folks use plastic milk crates for plants but the look of them doesn't appeal to me.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9185233

Pictures of floating island planter.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9185259

What a neat idea and you can set the pvc as low as you want so it doesn't float high up in the water like some of the store bought planters. Other than hyacinths (which don't do well here as it is too cold) what do you put in the baskets.I like to put a floating collar about 18" around water lettuce and just let the roots hand down. They love that.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9185434

Oberon,
The hyacyniths or any plant that hangs over like it does hides all the frame. I would think water lettuce would work very well in it. (unless it floats out over the top) If you put PVC pipe lower it would raise it higher in the water which for some plants is probably good but we wanted it just on the water level so PVC doesn't show. Hopefully tomorrow I'm going to cut holes in the bottom of each pot so if fish get in there again they can get out on their own. If I get any long rooted plants the roots could also be pulled down thru which would keep them coraled.
Hope this helps someone.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9185498

You're right. the lower the pvc the higher the basket. Thanks
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9194472

Newton,
Just remembered one I have floating around both ponds in floating pot. Bacopa. It stays green all the time here and fish love to nibble on it. Sometimes it blooms little white flowers. One I have is dark green and one is lime colored and called lemon bacopa. They will grow on land also or potted. Mine are just in small rocks inside floating pots. I have never fertilized any pond plants but they seem to make it fine.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America