Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Yarden maintenance late June into July

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 92, Views: 777
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9167570

Guess we need a new thread about now. We've had such beautiful late spring weather this week!
Coming from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1256874/

I still have shrubs to trim. The promised trimming by my un-hired help (family member) was a light haircut, of a few bushes, at best. Can't complain though. He put the tools away after...after I did more trimming, and then asked him to put the tools away...I get what I pay for!

I was cooking and tidying extra this week so today my treat is repotting some plants. I divided chunks out of a Sanseveria to make pots I will offer at a July yard sale. Then pulled out my fan palm and found that much of the soil had been trickling out the drain hole- HUGE empty space in the bottom of the pot, with roots wrapped around the bottom edge. Horrors! The abuse! It oughta grow like mad now. Potted up my Spideryweb Sedum from Jill, using gritty mix from ssgardener... Its like a visit with friends all the time in my garden.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9167644

well said, dear!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 16, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9167659

Thanks for the new thread Sally. You sound much like myself...have so much inside that needs doing that getting out to do some potting is a special treat this last month or so. I am now down to having only one closet that needs my attention and then I will have time to tend my many plants which are learning to do well despite my neglect. Sure helps that it is summer time and most seem to love their summer homes.

Later today I am hoping to get out and transplant some seedlings in to the beds where hopefully they will live. Will need to add more notes to tend specific newly planted stuff so they don't die due to my neglect. Will also give deck pots a drink of water later too.

Thus far on this Saturday in June, I have accomplished little more than sitting in this very same chair and reading either Dave's Garden threads or breaking local stories on the news channels. The first female President of The University of Virginia resigned on Monday and there is a nationwide hoopla as a result. There is talk of a conspiracy and so much secretiveness and no one is giving any satisfactory answers and this is leaving the UVA associated folk and the community are about fit to be tied. I find it all very interesting and have to admit reading comments on all the different media sources. It will be very interesting to see how things turn out here. Anyway...

Very, very unproductive thus far today. Maybe the cup of coconut coffee I am sipping on will give me a burst of energy in order at the end of the day I can say that I have done at least a few productive things. If not, so be it. I deserve to rest on occasion too.

Here is hoping that those not currently reading or writing are all out enjoying themselves in some fashion...whether it be playing in dirt, or doing any other number of things that take place during lovely summer weather. Enjoy all.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9167846

I just love that soil that SSG brought to the swap. It is great for potting up succulents.
Ruby, Today was our Hobby Greenhouse Assoc Picnic. We had the nicest time. There is always a project, this years project was landscaped dish gardens. Everyone's was different an interesting. Ric cooked the chicken, hot dogs and sausages. Then there was the plant raffle. For $5 I came home with some great plants.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9168037

DH told me our rainfall is still low- I spent some time watering today, there were some thirsty things out there for sure.
UprightK
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9168146

Dry is the word for the day! I am so very fortunate that my new garden bed is within reach and downhill from the 55 gallon rain barrel. But now I need at least a bit of rain to refill. I guess I will be carrying the dehumidifier water outside to at least get the plants near the door!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9168265

Yes, I too instead of planting new babies was watering this evening. I did move the old as well as the new pineapple sage to the front planters in close proximately to the hummingbird feeder. The girls can see the feeder from the living room...figured I'd do what I could to bring them all over to that area. I've gotten hooked on mints this year...so in addition to previous years, I've added candy, lime, orange...hmmmm I'm not sure I remember the rest. God knows I have enough herbs to make a good batch of pesto as well...yumm-meeee

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9168595

I'm with you UprightK- I hate to put any reasonably clean water down the drain. I wish I had a good place for a few rain barrels. My yard is so flat, they need to be elevated.
Its pretty dry out and there's a heat wave coming.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 17, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9168740

Holly, I would love to know more about the dish gardens. Any pics of any? A picture of yours for sure. hint hint...
I while back I found some bright red plastic sort of square bowls that I have enjoyed using as planters this year. I might have to check and see if they are still available because even these I have used outside, they would also look great inside with some succulents or other pretties.

Yep, watered here last night too. At the end of the watering I saw that a cement planter that I sowed some Celosia in a while back were thick, thick and needed some attention. It was almost dark and I was outside ever so gingerly pulling up the larger ones to transplant to other pots or beds. I hope they survive the move. Also got the Summer Poinsettia re-potted in a very large pot and in hopes of something interesting from it as it grows. Just in the last week I am having Petunias pop up in several pots. These were all reseeders and always a surprise to see. Since the swap it seems that my plants are multiplying daily. The front deck has at least three times more pots this year than it has had in the past. I am certainly not complaining, and am really grateful to have the deck.

Yep, Sally I hear you on the heat due later in the week. This is day number two that the house has been comfortable without air conditioner running. I suspect that will not happen often as the week progresses. Bought a kiddie pool for the grand little ones and plan on plopping in it myself if conditions call for it. My two year old grand son Isaac doesn't quite understand the need for swimming trunks and was not happy until he left the pool area, pulled off his trunks and then happily got in to the pool. Hilarious and I wish now that I would have taken pictures last week when they were here. That will be a real winner to show his future bride.

Anyway...enjoy the gardening which you can. Going to be brutal later on.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9169119

Ruby, Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures at the picnic. But I can describe what we did. The Club bought planters and provided dirt. At a charge of $5:00. Plus some of the members brought extra plants to share. There were several types of low growing sedums, some Squill, impatiens, vinca, dwarf mondo grass, artillery fern, moss, some blue glass pebbles, pea gravel, polished stones. Then the members brought some of their own plants and cute little accessories to give them some personality. My friend Jane (you might have met her at the swap) used a piece of moss to look like pasture grass and some small twigs to make a corral with mini horses. She used the blue pebbles and small polished stones to make a pond and pea gravel to make a riding rink then added hedge of mini mondo grass, with a couple of impatiens, squill, and a few succulents that she brought with her. One of the other members had a wicker arch with a small wicker bench, mini clay pots, butterfly net and small polished stones to make a path. There were very small semps that lined the path with a hedge of dwarf mondo grass and flowering plants behind the arbor. She tipped the little pots over with just the largest standing up right and put a small semp in it. One of the members used a seashell filled with blue glass pebbles to make a lake, another used dried allium heads to make trees, with a flat stone for a patio with a mini bench sitting on it. Even thought a lot of them used much of the same plants each one looked very different.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9169336

So cute with Isaac!

Holly, they sound so creative!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9170988

Ssgardener -- Thinking about your hill, this may appall you, but this photo shows how tighly ajuga will fill in -- and fast! I have tons of it. I also have tons of Sweet Woodruff -- I just forgot to take a photo. And the second photo is of bigroot geranium, another good ground cover. Mine isn't as thick as it might be because I keep dividing it to increase the size of the patch. (Ignore the weeds on the edges.)

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 10:36 PM

Thumbnail by happy_macomb   Thumbnail by happy_macomb
Click an image for an enlarged view.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9171043

ssgardener,

Thanks for pic of your slope! Looks like biggest problem is that you have to use the area below the bed as a walkway to access garbage cans, etc. Have you ever considered using concrete pavers/stepping stones along the bottom edge with mulch on both sides in effect creating a path that can take traffic and keep you above the muddy low spot. It could also finish off and define your bed and could stop at beginning of bed (right side in pic) or vise versa.

There are some plants like Happy has suggested that can survive muddy, but when you add in having to bounce back from being walked on or rolled over repeatedly, it might be asking too much. The pavers sit on top of existing soil with some leveling and are held in place by the mulch.

Your thoughts?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2012
3:29 AM

Post #9171156

Good idea Cole up, I could see that there were some edgers in there to help hold the slope. You could do a little more terracing with edgers. Of course that would mean more digging which is very hard in that heavy clay. We have that type of clay soil, one of the tricks is to wet the area before you dig or work in it. Not enough to make it muddy but enough to loosen it up.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9171207

Sally,

In your opening post here, you talk about all the soil trickling out from a potted Palm tree.
And-a big open space among the roots.

I betcha that some rodent had set up housekeeping in that pot...most likely mice.
I have seen that when I was working in the Greenhouse in my first 5 years at the HD.

We even had rats that would move into the bottoms of large pots. Chewed up roots--
constant moisture--what's not to like...
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9171208

Oooh, HM, I love how tightly the ajuga has filled in! My bigroot geranium and sweet woodruff (all received from previous swaps) don't seem to spread as quickly as the ajuga.

I'd love for my ajuga to get that thick. From what I've seen, they can handle foot traffic pretty well.

Coleup, I've considered stepping stones, but Holly is right. It's just so *hard* to dig. Even an inch would take so long. And since the trash cans get rolled in this area, the stones have to be nice and flat with the ground. If I had the money to hire someone to lay the stones and to get really pretty stepping stones, that's probably that I would do.

Another June yarden maintenance item for me is catching Japanese beetles. I don't remember seeing them last year, but I caught 2 the other day. I think they're the ones shredding apart the crape myrtle leaves. The only method I know of controlling them is catching them by hand and dumping them in soapy water to drown them.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9171275

Holy cow Gita- I'd just croak of a rodent came out of a plant as I unpotted it- especially a rat!

Beetles- last year I had a lot of brown beetles that were only active at night but were eating mass amounts of leaves of a lot of my plants. Go out one warm night in the darl and see if there are brown 'june beetles' on the leaves getting eaten.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9171289

Coleup -- I have put pavers on my slopes, and to be honest, they are a little dangerous because of the angle unless you level them (which I haven't -- too much work). I'm always afraid I'll go sliding down, especially when they are wet/muddy.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9171321

I really like the paver idea; given the constraints. I picture pavers laid on the existing ground, some soil to fill the gaps, and let the woodruuf fill where it can. Now , granted, the path will need to be all level and wide enough for the trash cans. I can't help with construction. I don' know how stable a flat paver job you can make on a shallow sand bed and the existing soil.

happy, I have flip flops that are terribly slippery on my wet deck so I understand that .
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9171597

lol Happy, sounds like one needs rock climbing gear to tackle your slopes!

Anything is slippery when wet (even ajuga, moss, small trees etc) and I have a few hiking stories to support how quickly one can slide.

Sally, I'm agreeing with you on the put the pavers on (not in) the ground., and then mulch around them. Best leveling can be done when soil is moist and muddy (not brick/rock hard baked) I take one 12x12 paver and try to find the most level place to start my path. From ss's pic where the ajuga is and just to the right looks more level than slopey to me. With the edge of the paver facing the house, I ram the edge into the slope horizontally , shaving off some soil several times til I get and ok fit that is stable when I stand on it and fairly flat. Use shaved off soil to fill in low spots or a layer of an inch of sand would be even better. Then continue every 12 inches or so to install other pavers. About 12 inches between pavers gives a stepping stone for a normal adult walking stride. When finished, mulch at least 6-10 inces on all sides of each paver. Really tamp that mulch in there as it is the glue!

Since the stepping stones are only needed so garbage haulers can roll a trash can or two once or twice a week without getting muddy , keep the pavers as high as possible, not level with the ground! You want the garbage can haulers to be able to walk normally on the pavers, but the trash cans can roll over irregularities quite well, so no need to size the pavers to them. And rolling trash cans flatten plants a lots less than adult foot traffic.

In the alternative, relocate where you keep your trash cans! lol Or, become a "zero waste " household.
http://www.ivillage.com/zero-waste-home-bea-johnson/7-a-435468
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9171884

Thanks, Coleup! I need to seriously reconsider the idea of pavers now. I'd given up on them when I realized I couldn't bring myself to dig in there again.

The hill is slanted towards the back of the house (towards the picture taker), as well to the right of the picture, if that makes sense. That is, I have to drag the trashcans up that hill when full and down the hill when empty. And it's also sloped away from the house.

That's the reason I'd ruled out pavers: they'd need to be placed at an angle going downhill, because I don't want any kind of terracing on the walkway. And knowing me, I'd trip over the pavers and break my ankle again. Ha! It's ridiculous how clumsy I am.

It's good to know that the wheels make less impact on the ground than actual footsteps.

Anyway, thank you all for brainstorming with me about what to do with my ugly hill. I'm so glad I took these before pictures. They really bring out the ugly side!

This message was edited Jun 19, 2012 6:12 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9172220

Oh, ssg, now I understand better, the problem with slanted pavers and the slope.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 20, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9172604

Thanks Holly for telling about the dish gardens. Sounds too cool. What fun!!! I love the idea of the bluegreen stones used for water.

Sorry ssg, I am not really much with designing anything much, garden wise included. I am sure that some of the ideas being given will allow you to come up with a suitable idea that will work for you. The majority of our Day Lilies are in bloom so there is color in every direction we look. I have mainly done container gardens this year and not much trekking in the yard. So much easier to stay on the deck where it is level versus our sloping front yard that sounds much like Happy's and a place that I say away as much as possible.

In between all that we have going on with the house...new flooring, new work for a new roof begun yesterday, there is not a lot of time left over for gardening. My partner in crime is working on de-weeding the Iris bed that is the first thing a person sees from my kitchen window and also the first thing when a person walks on the back deck. That was in dire need of weeds being gone. There is actually a nice stand of Calla Lilies blooming there now and I especially love Callas, so that is a treat.

I probably won't be reporting much garden work this week due to the temperature being in the high nineties most the rest of the week. Supposed to be 98 degrees here today. The thought of it turns my stomach.

Anyway...it will be fun to see the final results of what happy and ssgardener come up with. Always interesting to keep up with other folks projects. Interesting on the Wild Rose discussion. Will be interesting to see what the final consences is. The grow very invasively outside of our yard thankfully. As a child I thought they were the most beautiful flower on the planet.

Stay cool everyone.

Ruby
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9172935

I posted my mysterious maybe-wild-roses on the plant ID forum, but got no takers...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9173284

Ruby---what is your zone? I am 7a.

Do you leave your Calla Lilies in the ground for the winter? or--bring them in?

There is some discussion going on about yes--or no.
I have been given a calla Lilly bulb. First one ever! I planted it in a 10" pot so I can,
easily, bring it in when I have to.

This bulb was a gift--and I don't want to screw it up.
Thanks, Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9173668

Gita -- I have Calla lilies and I've always lugged them into the garage to overwinter. I don't pay much attention to them. I'm sure they'd do better if i did.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9173838

Hiya all! Gosh, you guys have sure been busy lately! Ss, have you come to any decisions yet about the walkway? Yeah, there is a way to make pavers work for it, but you're so right, it does require digging to make it right. If ya dig in deeply enough, then tamp down some crushed rock, then tamp down some sand into it, you could put pavers in there, but it's a painstaking process (emphasis on "PAINS") to make it level and smooth all the way across on a slope. NOT what you want to be doing in this kind of heat!! In my big front bed, I've got a little patch of Artemesia that I put in in place of a stepping stone, so I can easily reach the back of the bed. I step on it all the time, (that is, when it's not smothered by the Verbena); I stand on it, walk on it, plunk my 5-gallon bucket full of compost down on it, and it keeps shproining back and asking for more. =) The one little 3.5" sized potted plant has gotten to be just over 1 square foot in just under a year. It's a "Stepable", and though it's not "rated" for high traffic, it sure tolerates my bulk dancing on it a few times a week. Here's a link to a site where you might find something more to your liking in that area; they are Stepables that take high traffic... maybe you'll find something there that would work for you... I hope. =) http://www.stepables.com/scripts/prodlist-plants.asp?palntingCatId=5

It's gotten horribly hot here, so I've not been outside to do much, just to water. I **did** install a couple of flats of Intensia this past weekend, but they are not photo-worthy just yet. I gave 'em a major hair cut when I put 'em in because when I brought 'em home from work they were really leggy. While I LOVE freebies from work, (stuff that just won't sell for some reason), I don't understand why no one would want to buy these, they are GORGEOUS!!! They weren't root-bound but they had lots of happy white little roots when I installed them, and though very leggy, they were smothered in blooms. I can't wait for 'em to flush back out again! =)

I finally enjoyed the first fruits of my tomato-labor last evening. My little grape tomato plant has some ripening clusters on it and I was soooooo happy to come home last evening to find that this one I'd been waiting for (to ripen perfectly) had not been eaten by any critters, it was still there waiting for me! =) Mmmmmmm, that baby was yummy, perfectly salty-sweet with a nice loud CRUNCH! I'll try to get a good pic on my way out to work today, there's a few more now that are getting golden... just a few more days 'til they'll be ready for salad! < =D

That's about it for now... oh yeah, and when I installed the Intensia I also cut back the Verbena that was smothering the Artemesia, and I also cut back the Honeysuckle (cut it back HARD) and cleaned out the barrel it's growing in. That sucker was climbing up under the siding of the house in several places, no-no-no!! < =0

I had an epiphany the other day, about my driveway side bed. Maybe I could put up a strip of landscape fabric?? It would only have to be maybe 8" up the fence, then bury the rest of it in the soil on my side so it doesn't get "knocked around" too much from their side with the weed-eater... wonder if that might work? I've got fabric pins too, to hold it down on my side before I cover it. Your thoughts?

Have a wonderful day, all, and STAY COOL AND SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9174172

It all sounds great speedie-
The landscape fabric, I bet they'd never even notice. Sounds good.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9174178

Can you tell us more about Intensia? I don't find it in plantfiles.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9175445

Alrighty then, that will be my next project... maybe for this weekend. I've already got the fabric and pins, and a nice collection of twisty ties (from Winter Sowing), so I should be all set! And considering how high and dense my Shasta's are, the fabric won't be visible at all... at least from **my** side! =)

Intensia... it's a hybrid annual phlox, and we get ours from Proven Winners. You can read about them here: http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/series/intensia

This year we got Pink and Blueberry, and I brought home mostly Pink with just a couple Blueberry thrown in. I'll share a pic or 2 when they start flushing out again, but for now they're mostly green sticks with a few leaves on them. ;)

Oh, speaking of pics, I got a couple of my grape tomatoes yesterday morning! I'm sorry that they're fuzzy, I don't know if it's my camera, my lack of knowing HOW to use the camera properly for close-ups, or just my lack of a steady hand. =/ Anyway, I think I might have a few more ready to eat when I get home from work today, YIPPEEE!! The pics are of 2 separate clusters. As of now there are 3 clusters on her, each cluster has 3 or 4 fruits.

Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9175963

Thanks for the link- pretty!
I guess you get the "First Tomato" ribbon for 2012.
8 ^)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9176983

Hello all. How miserable the heat and humidity have been the last few days. It was too hot to really get outside when I got home from work, so I have quite a few things on the to do list this morning. I picked up some pretty asiatic lilies from HD that need to be planted - they bring some color into my shade garden at a time when not much else is blooming. I also have some more plants that greenthumb and ecnalg (David & Pat) were so generous with when I stopped by their place last weekend. I had them staged in a shady area, but two of them look like they might not make it - horrible when it gets this hot out, phooey. I love visiting them and their garden - it is beautiful and they always have creative projects in progress. One of the latest is turning old crib panels into clematis trellis. They also always have info about places to check out - best news I've heard in a while is that a Dairy Queen was opening in Leesburg this week. Stopped by after work on opening day and got the turtle blizzard special - yumm, yumm!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9176994

turtle blizzard special - yumm, yumm! Think I will have ice cream for breakfast. LOL
I would love to see David & Pat's garden. I would think it would be beautiful.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9177081

Well, planting the lilies didn't take long. Now on to the plants from David & Pat. Took a few pix while I was out there. The gooseneck loosestrife from Gita at the 2011 swap is doing great - the flowers are really cute and aptly named. The 'blue wave' hydrangea blossom is a real accomplishment. This shrub used to be gorgeous, but about three years ago the deer ate it to the ground. It has slowly been growing back, and with my dad keeping it sprayed with the deer repellent, it finally has its first bloom since the destruction.

Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9177089

1st tomato ribbon my asparagus! I may not have made Father's Day, but by Wednesday these had very nice color, and Holly's been munching the grape tomatoes by the gazebo for almost 2 weeks. LOL Ric

Nobody told me there was a 1st tomato ribbon! :-}

This message was edited Jun 23, 2012 11:16 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9177106

Any idea what this cute little bloom is? It is in a pot at my sisters house and she did not plant anything in that pot.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9177291

Robin, looks like moss rose (portulaca) to me.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9177415

yep! I agree! Wonderful. indestructible, low-growing, full sun loving flower.

Self-seeds too. Can be rooted from the smallest pieces. Like any succulent.
G.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9177607

Yeppers!! that was one of my mom's favorites!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9177741

LET ALL KNOW:
First Tomato 2012 Ribbon goes to Ric.

; ^)

coleup, so sorry I did not get your message until we were about to leave. Look for dmail so I can give you my home phone as well, sometimes I neglect my cell for a few hours.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 24, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9178500

Gita, I am not positive where we fit into category A or B for zone 7. Almost a case of a dozen of this or 12 of that. We do leave our Callas in the ground and the only ones that didn't return are ones that were planted on the edge of a bed that is exposed to the air. Those totally in the ground have been returning for years now. Interesting you asked about Callas, because Calla Lilies were a free gift enclosed in a nursery order I put in a while back. I have decided to grow these in a pot and have them as a houseplant this winter. I hope I do okay with this little project. I absolutely love the looks of a Calla Lily and would have to say that it is my number two favorite flower after Gladiolus.

You guys both impress me and often tickle my funny bone too. So funny that Ric didn't know about the Tomato Award...we will let you know next year Ric. Speedie, I can identify with writing one "to do" on my list and then it requiring three or four other "to do's" in order to do the one. That is where I often goof up when thinking of how long a certain project may take. Sure, if I didn't need to do all the things necessary to do before the said project, it would certainly go a lot quicker.

Catbird, I have Portulaca in places that I swear I didn't sow seeds. I king of really like finding it though and think of it as an added bonus. I have Petunia's to do that often also and get the same little thrill from that too.

Anyway...sounds as though every one has had the horrid heat this week. Only one day in the upper nineties expected this coming week. Will definitely plan indoor chores on that day. You all enjoy what is left of the weekend and have a great week coming up.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9178569

Ruby- you too have a good week! One day of indoors chores..that might not kill me LOL. They do have to be done.

I have a volunteer (looks like purple wave) petunia- not complaining. I do like Portulaca.
This is a perennial Ice Plant from Chantell. Its now got lots of flowers daily. Thanks again Chantell! Tough plant for dry sunny spot.

Thumbnail by sallyg

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9179109

I love Portulaca, last year I grew it with my succulents in those big blue strawberry jars. Sure added some nice color to the pots and I was pleased to see them reseed in the pot.
Here is a picture from last year I just used yellow and orange ones in those pots.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9179295

VERY pretty Holly! Love the contrast in color. As Sally said (you're welcome btw) - mine comes back ever year...bless it's bright little heart. Not reseeding - though - mine is simply hardy here. Have no earthly idea where I got that from...I believe it was HD or Lowes back a few years. The bumbles love it!! I love it b/c it stays cheery through fall and although she spreads she's hardly a thug about it.

Sally - NICE macro...I LIKE IT!!

This message was edited Jun 24, 2012 10:16 PM

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9179790

Terri mentioned our repurposed crib project. The second trellis is now up, and we need to move the clematis over to it. Pics to follow. Just before the heat of last week, David got our pool liner dug in. So nice to see it in the ground rather than on top! Also a work in progress is a patio to the left of the pond. Second photo shows our cat enjoying the bird bath before it was moved.

Thumbnail by ecnalg   Thumbnail by ecnalg

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9179803

LOVE the kitty pic

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9179812

Ditto what Chantell said - great kitty pic!

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9179830

That is his favorite drinking spot. The pond has plants around it now, but the patio has not progressed.

In the photo below he is guarding a pile of pavers for us.

Thumbnail by ecnalg

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9180478

I have been outside for most of the day. First unmolding and roughing up the planter I made at Critters Party. Planted the last of the inpatients. Did some weeding, watering and planting.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9180556

I can't wait for all of you to post pictures of the creations. This sounds like such fun and each step now raises the interest level even more.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9180991

Gorgeous kitty, and woodland setting!

Finally got my un-hired help stated on the hedge trimming tonight, since it was so pleasant out atfer dinner.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9181108

Terri, Was just telling me how beautiful your gardens are. I was saying that I haven't seen many pictures that show the whole garden areas. She was right you have a beautiful garden.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9181493

Why thank you, Holly. We are very much a work in progress, and David is quite fond of cropping his photos, so there are rarely any of an entire area. Our gardens are not at all in the same category as yours or Terri's. Thankfully we have no lawn to mow!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9181727

It was really nice to see more of the garden area. Well Davids cropped picture really show the flowers beautifully. Tell him to toss us a few extra garden shots as well.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9181754

He is truly into the flowers and I'm more into the overall look. Here are a couple from a while ago, and things have filled in more since then.

Thumbnail by ecnalg   Thumbnail by ecnalg

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9181765

It's beautiful! I love woodland gardens...

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9181774

Holly, Pat's second picture shows the old picnic table top that I was describing to you on Sat. I love this feature in their garden - it looks so natural in the woodland setting with the stones and the moss that has grown on it. And Pat, it is funny how we think - everytime I visit your gardens, I think they far surpass what I've been able to accomplish LOL.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9182342

Love it!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9182411

Beautiful, I just love the rock edges on your beds. What a lovely area.
I agree Teri, when I visit some other gardens I think "Oh I wish mine was that nice". I think we have a nice start but there is a lot of room for improvement.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9182582

Sounds like a round robin of garden envy for all of us! These are the rocks that we encounter with each plant that goes in. Lots and lots of round rocks since this used to be river bed. We love rocks of all kinds. The house is a geodesic dome.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9182608

Cool, I love those type of houses. Oh we know all about rocks with every shovel full. LOL Our are all Red Stone.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9182612

when we all get tired of swapping plants (ROFL. as if...!) we'll swap rocks.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9182995

I envy the lovely woodland gardens that Terri and Pat have. We have just almost treeless, flat, blazing sun areas. We do have rocks though. Hundreds were picked out of the lawn area so that we wouldn't wreck the mower. Last Saturday, a few people from the MAM group came up for a visit and (Jen, Allison, Jessica and some neighbors). Jen and Allison picked rocks at the neighbors house and dumped them into the drainage ditch here until Jen could back with her truck. The neighbor brought them to our ditch with his back hoe and will bring as many as they want in the future.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9183219

For those of you who use rock edging bordering against lawns -- is it hard to bump the lawn mower close to the rocks? Do you have to use an edger every time? Do weeds grow between the rocks?

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9183327

Yes,yes and yes, unless you use a weed killer.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
2:58 AM

Post #9184315

Roses, I had to laugh when I read your PERFECTLY clear and concise answer, I LOVE it!! =D I had actually been contemplating using some rocks as a border to a bed that I've been dreaming up in my head (something maybe for the Fall), but now I think I'll re-think it. =)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9184360

Roses, you nailed it! Ouch!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9185758

RRR, I love having a shade garden. It is definitely cooler to work in the shade than in the hot sun - it is a noticeable difference in the comfort level between the sunny area and the shady area. But, on the flip side, I don't have the floral display like the sun gardens do. Luckily, I love the delicacy and understated pastel colors of the shade plants. Funny story - There were some non gardening friends that came to my niece's graduation party a few weeks ago. They walked along the walkway and down the steps to the pond, right through the shade garden that I focus most of my efforts on. When they got to the dock, they asked where the gardens were LOL! I had to sheepishly tell them that I haven't mastered getting season long blooms, foliage and texture combos are all that is there to see right now...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9185764

Aspenhill, heeheeheee, did they go back and look harder at all your work in your shade garden? =) Yeah, for the non-gardening peoples, sometimes it can be easy to miss some stuff... then again, it probably means that you have done such a GREAT job at making it look natural and yet beautiful at the same time that it was maybe easier to miss the 'human touch' to it.

Personally, I haven't mastered a darned thing in ANY of my gardening endeavors yet! < =D

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9185768

Terri, I have a tiny triangle shade garden right outside my front porch and I pack as much as I can into it. I have some pretty shades of Astilbe blooming right now, a pretty yellow flowered Dicentra, Hosta flowers, Grey Ghost Lamium, Digitalis, Japanese Painted Ferns and soon there will be Orange Picotee Tuberose Begonias. I love that area and have ridiculously overstuffed it!! When I sit out there I have a much more relaxed feeling than when I'm looking at the stuff in the blazing sun! I don't talk to non gardening people about plants and gardening. They get that glazed look in their eye and I feel like I'm talking to myself.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9185799

I agree with speedy, AH, that you have made it look so natural that they overlooked it. I personally love the texture thing.

I also haven't mastered anything in my garden.

RRR's shade garden is a beauteous sight!

Not looking forward to seeing what everything looks like after being away for the month of July. Oh, well.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9185823

Roses, may we see a couple pics of your lovely little triangle-in-the-shade, please? I do love to enjoy beauteous sights! =) (and I'll be able to learn something while I'm at it!) =D
Got any Heuchera in there? I like those too, but I dearly love Astilbe. Wonder how they'd do in a container, all I've got (so far) for shade is my container "garden" on the benches, and that area really needs some help. The only things that are really thriving in that area are my Setcretia, Hostas and Coleus(es?). Oh well, a learning experience for next year: MORE HOSTAS AND COLEUS!!! < =D Maybe next year I'll have nothing but Hosta, Coleus and Setcretia... and maybe some Begonias too... and maybe Astilbe if they do well in containers. ;) Heeheeheee!
You're so right about talking with non-gardeners about plants, they do get that far away look in their eyes... as though they **wish** they were far away at that moment.

Oh Jan23, I sure wish I were your neighbor at least for July, I would be glad to go take care of your babies for you! Here's an idea though: You could collect a bunch of 2-litre bottles, take off the tops and cut holes in the bottoms. Turn them upside down and shove the tops into the soil around your plants. Fill them with water, and they should slowly release water as needed. I've heard of people entirely cutting off the bottoms, but I'm thinking maybe you'd get less evaporation if you just cut a hole in the bottom just big enough to be able to fill the bottle. I'd think any sized plastic bottle would work, or even milk jugs, too! Anyway, just a hopefully-helpful suggestion. =)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9185841

And a good idea it is, too. Thank you for the offer. A neighbor will mow and water if needed. My DILwill stop by also to see if any tomatoes ripen and water, too. She will be gone the first week as well, so I will rely on the neighbor's attentions. Knowing we would be gone for an extended period, I didn't plant a lot of annuals.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9185858

Happy--

This may be a solution to yout rock borders and the question re grass and weeds growing through the rocks.
HD carries these. They are rubber, mulch-looking strips you lay down anf it looks like a manicured
edging where it meets the lawn. A bit pricey--but a permanent. I imagine if it gets dirty--you just hose it down.
Comes in red and brown.
At our HD you can find it where all the small edging fences and strips are sold in outside garden.

Gita

homedepot.com/Outdoors/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZbx82/R-202306174/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=rubber+edging&storeId=10051

Hmmmm----It did not copy as a clickable link.
Go to homedepot.com and make your way to outdoor landscape accessories and search for edging border.
These come in 10' rolls in red or brown for $13.97.

Let me copy image location and then retreive it for you. hope it works...

Easy Gardener 10 ft. Edge Border

Model # EB61045HD

Internet # 202306174

Store SKU # 124617
5 / 5

$13.97 /EA-Each

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 7:50 AM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9185872

Here is the picture----

Thumbnail by Gitagal

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9185913

Thanks, Gita. I think I'll pass on the edger. I wasn't really looking for anything. Right now we just have a very small ditch dug between the grass and the flower beds, and that works find. I just thought stones would look prettier... I think I'll use them in the woodland area behind our house.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9186716

Oh Gita, what a great product!! I'm gonna HAVE to check that out, thank you!!! =)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9189704

Special Request

Haven't heard from a number of folks that the major storm that blew through on Friday night may have impacted like ruby, aspenhill, greenthumb and pat, ssgardener, donnerville, Bec, hart, speedy and catbird to name a few...Hope they will check in soon and that they are all ok.

If any of you reading this have a way of checking in with any of the above or other DG neighbors, knowing that they may be out of power and cell phone service, please do so and convey our prayers and wishes for their well being.

You can report any weather and well being reports on our ongoing Chat thread (Your Neck of the Woods) here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268408/

Thanks,

Judy

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9189800

Thanks for your concern, Judy. I hope the others are doing well, too. This was a quick checkin from the library. Greenthumb and I are getting a bit rough around the edges.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9190885

Oh hi there!! Coleup, thank you so much for your loving kindness, all is well and safe here. We did have our power go out for about 7 hours Friday night into Saturday morning, but it was back on relatively early Sat. morning, and no trees down or anything... just my poor Agastaches don't want to stand up anymore. Pruners for them, I say! =)

HUGS!!!!!!!

Suze

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9190920

Haven't heard from donner for almost 2 weeks.
I sent her a D-mail a couple days ago--so far no reply. If she has no power then computer contacts won't work.

She could be on another vacation to China???? Not likely...

Will try to call her on her cell. Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9193707

Sorry for being quiet. Work got in the way of life :-). A belated happy July 4th to everybody.

I was lucky not to lose power during the storm. No fallen tress, although some branches came down. The only major damage so far has been my mailbox. I think somebody got drunk last night and knocked the mailbox down. The mailbox post broke from the ground. I am sure my hubby, when coming back from England next week, will appreciate this reminder of his country's loss of the American colony. LOL!!!

Thumbnail by donnerville

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9193865

LOL Donner!! Glad to see you're alive and well and safe! =) Anybody heard from any of the other "MIA's"?

Gonna be boring here and share a little 'yarden maintenance' (yeah, you can throw tomatoes at me if you wish... let me grab my catcher's mitt first though, k?) < ;P

I actually went out and did some yardening yesterday morning. I had gotten sick of the Honeysuckle that was in the half-whiskey barrel out front, in the corner of the big bed, so I got the shovels and dug it out. MY GOODNESS, what a BEAR to dig outta there!!! Had to practically dig out ALL the soil in there to get to the bottom of the roots, EGAD! Anyway, then I installed a few "end of season blah stuff" that I rescued from work. I actually installed 5 things, and y'all may laugh at me, but I was hedging (no pun intended) my bets 'cause I'm not sure what's gonna make it and what won't. I put in a Clematis Henryi, a Clematis Dr. Ruppel, 2 Cardinal Creepers, and a Passion Flower "Waterloo Blue". I'm pretty sure the Cardinal Creepers aren't perennial in this area so I'm not panicking too much if they all survive. I created a sort of support system in there too, using rebar and gardening twine. Pic #1 is the "new and improved" whiskey barrel.

Then, I cried as I cut back the 7-foot tall Agastaches, but I had to do it 'cause they'd gotten horribly bent from the storm last Friday. When I tried to straighten them up the roots started to pull out of the soil, so I figured they'd be best served by cutting back... which led to pruning back the "plants gone wild" verbena that are forever creeping over the little Adirondack fencing.

I put down application #2 of my Milky Spore and watered that in (that was the first thing I did, btw), deadheaded the Shasta Daisies, and watered everyone. Oh, and potted up some other newly rescued acquisitions, some more Coleuses, a "Wizard Mix" 4-pack, and a Lime Red.

Pic #2 is of the "Agastache-free" bed after pruning back my beloved babies.
#3 and 4 are the new Coleuses.

Oh, sorry about the erroneous date stamp on the pics, guess I'll have to get into the camera and fix that, huh? ;)

Y'all stay safe and cool!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9193972

Boring? That was all enthralling! Nothing beats READING ABOUT garden work when its TOO DANG BLAZING HOT to do it oneself.
tee hee tee hee

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9194125

Nothing about plants/gardens is boring to gardeners. Agree with Sally. We now have to garden vicariously :o)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9194349

Hello, Hello, Just had a call from John and Ruby, they are alive and well and sweating their Astilbes off. They had power for a couple of hours yesterday and a little rain that helped. Ruby asked I pass word along, so here it is. The old dog minds the heat and John gave up on roofing till his nail gun works, I'm not sure if that was the reference or not. LOL You go John! and thanks for callin' me Ruby! Ric

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
2:43 AM

Post #9194923

Oh Goodie, thank you Ric! =)

Sally, well, I dunno about "enthralling", but I'm glad I didn't put y'all to sleep! =) And to think, I'm gonna have to get out there and water when I get home from work today, EEK!! But that's ALL I'll be doing. Son is coming over for dinner, and he should be arriving at our house right about the time I'm arriving home from work, so I think I'll have him out there with me. =) Then we can play on the BBQ together! =) I read that article by Amber Royer, about what to do with all the Lemongrass I'm growing, so I think I'm gonna clip some off to cook with the shrimps. Yummmm!!!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 8, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9197795

Thanks Ric - This is the first day that I have had the time to read any of the threads I usually keep up with. Sounds like much the same all along the coast...hot, hot and more hot. Good grief, with no power there was very little I could do inside, and the stifling heat outside made things impossible there too. You just cannot imagine the relief and gratitude I am feeling now after almost two days of air conditioning and running water, not to mention Internet access.

One of the only productive things I accomplished this past week was to make sure my plants on porch and deck had drinks of water every few days. Of course this meant going next door to a neighbor's with a generator which meant his well worked and getting as many gallon jugs of water as John could carry at a time, but at least the plants all look decent.

Let's hope the cooler temperatures later in the week will allow us all some gardening time. Stay cool for a bit longer folks.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9197929

Good to see you back Ruby, say Hi! to John for me. Ric

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
3:22 AM

Post #9198572

YAY, Ruby is back!!!!!!! Please tell your kind and generous neighbors 'THANK YOU' from us, for keeping you guys safe and hydrated!! =)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 9, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9198791

Thanks ya'll. The headlines in our local newspaper today said that there are still others in the area without power. This is now day number ten!!! One of the folks interviewed lives in a trailor and having a really, really difficult time. One of the guys children passed out from the heat one day last week and had to be taken to the hospital. It has really been bad, that is for sure.

Thankfully, I did a lot better dealing with the heat and no power than I thought I would, but don't want to do it again any time soon. Temps will be lower this week and I will finally have an opportunity to go outside and actually enjoy my favorite flower in bloom...Gladiolus. I can see from the kitchen window that I have two Hibiscus in beautiful red and pink bloom too, so a stop to gaze upon them will be called for too.

Ric, John is out this morning riding in to town to buy goat feed. He said the boys were baaaaing at him earlier, so he interpreted that as meaning they are hungry.

Anyway, supposed to be a cooler week, so hopefully more of us will be able to enjoy our gardening chores a bit more comfortably than recently. Take good care all and have a lovely week coming up.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9282987

Hey Ruby or Sally, how about a new thread for our Fall yardening chores and adventures?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9283022

As they say on the 'Net-
Vwa lah
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281155/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America