Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: California Pepper Tree Trapped in Concrete

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 2, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ClimbingOnion
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9167587

Looking for feedback regarding the apron of concrete that surrounds my very mature (and very "value-added") Cal pepper tree. I suppose this situation applies to any tree, but I am increasingly concerned about the health of my tree with regards to the ground cover. I should probably invest in an hour of a qualified arborist, but thought I would poll this crew to see what they had to say first. The tree is probably 30+ years and is a favorite in the yard. I live in the Arizona desert (I know I know - inappropriate vegetation choice, but it was here before me). The only irrigation it receives is from emitters inside the planter at its base (not ideal, but probably been that way for at least 20 years) and emitters placed throughout the courtyard in other beds (they are at the dripline, but a large swath of concrete lies between tree trunk and beds). The beds are positioned so that only about 25% of the dripline coincides with them - the other 75% is still covered by concrete. Make sense? Attached photo might help.
I know the easy answer is to tear out concrete and replace with weathered granite, but we're talking $$$ into a home that has suffered the wrath of the realestate market like you can't imagine. I will do whatever is necessary for the trees' health, but if someone knowledgeable had something to say that could put my mind at ease without making a major financial investment I would be really happy.
Thanks for any input you might have - DO

Thumbnail by ClimbingOnion
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9167710

Several small towns here in Texas, including mine, have a "Trees in the Street" program. The streets surrounding the healthiest trees have had narrow blocks of cement or asphalt removed here and there to allow air and water to reach the feeder roots. Of course, the more blocks that are removed the better for the tree.

The holes are backfilled with pea gravel, but can be filled with other materials, be they organic or non-organic, to make them even with the surrounding materials..
ClimbingOnion
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9168635

[quote="bettydee"]Several small towns here in Texas, including mine, have a "Trees in the Street" program. The streets surrounding the healthiest trees have had narrow blocks of cement or asphalt removed here and there to allow air and water to reach the feeder roots. Of course, the more blocks that are removed the better for the tree.

The holes are backfilled with pea gravel, but can be filled with other materials, be they organic or non-organic, to make them even with the surrounding materials..[/quote]

Thanks for the info bettydee. Never actually met someone from the oh so famous (and charming ) La Grange, TX (I am originally from San Antonio). I imagine my path forward will involve some degree of concrete removal.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.


Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM


We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.
 

Hope for America