Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Propagation: Phillipine Violet Shrub

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 5, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 16, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9168181

I planted 7 seeds today of the Philippine Violet Shrub. Seed packet said soil had to be at least 78 degrees.

Philippine Violet, Barleria cristata. The dark green foliage is very attractive and virtually pest and disease free. But itís in late summer to fall that the real show begins, as the upright plant stems load up with an abundance of lavender flowers that last until frost.

I will keep you posted. Wish me luck. I got the seeds from Onalee's Seeds. Great place for unusual seeds.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 16, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9168187

This is the photo furnished by Onalee's on the web.

Another plant for the garage garden during the winter.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9168895

Sharon, I am in Florida, climate zone 8b and this plant is ground-hardy for me - freezes back and comes back in the early spring - you are in the same zone, so you should be able to grow it outdoors, in the ground, with mulch, if you wish.

If you would rather have cuttings, I will send you some for a priority stamp - JLMK.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9168926

Western zone 8b and Florida zone 8b aren't the same unfortunately--while the lowest temperature you'll see in any given winter is the same (hence them being in the same zone), in the west we tend to get close to that low on many more nights during the winter and prolonged exposure to temperatures like that has killed many things in my garden that are supposed to be hardy to zone 8 or 9 and do fine for people in Florida & the south who are in those zones. If you end up with multiple plants it's certainly worth experimenting and trying it outside, but I'd keep at least one indoors over the winter just to be safe.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9169227

I did not know that! Thanks - good information.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 17, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9169486

Kay, you have humidity where here it is normally under 5%. We had a mild winter last year and my Queen of Sheba did not freeze back. Last winter the bougainvilleas lived through the winter. The year before, they froze all over town. I use the 3rd car part of the garage for my zone pushing plants.

Here you never know if our low is going to be in the 30s or the teens.

Kay, thanks for the thought of cuttings. I will try the seed first. When is the best time to do cuttings. I saw this plant on DG about 3 years ago and have coveted it ever since.. Have not seen it here.

ecane3, thanks for your input. Sharon

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America