Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: Is Pothos Vine poisonous to cats?

Communities > Forums > Indoor Gardening and Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Indoor Gardening and HouseplantsReplies: 6, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lorettadog
Maple Lake, MN

June 16, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9168260

After reading that most parts of Pothos are poisonous, I'm wondering if that includes animals, or just humans? What I read wasn't specific, and I just brought home some cuttings from my cousin's house. I'd like to know if I have to make sure the plant will be above my cats' reach, or if it's only a problem for humans.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

June 17, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9168558

In large doses. See here: (Google is your friend!)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_pothos_plant_poisonous

lorettadog
Maple Lake, MN

June 17, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9169117

That too, refers to humans. It doesn't say anything about animals. There are many things that are toxic to cats, that aren't to humans, and I can only suppose the reverse is also true. It would be really helpful if someone who has had a cat that chewed on their Pothos could tell me what the result was. Perhaps I'd be better off posting this question on a cat lovers forum? Thanks anyway, tommyr2006 :o).

ps - I prefer Yahoo, except for maps.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9185275

Better late than never with a reply, the cat I have now (she's 14) chewed on one of my pothos when she was a kitten and never to this day has she ever made an attempt to touch it again, so it must have tasted really nasty is my guess, HOWEVER she will eat a parlor palm in a day given the chance, cats are crazy creatures to say the least.
Christine
lorettadog
Maple Lake, MN

June 29, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9187088

Thanks Jasminesmom - that's just the kind of info I was looking for. :o) And you're absolutely correct about cats - they can be just plain weird! Dogs are so much easier to understand.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9187358

ASPCA lists it as toxic to cats http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants/golden-pothos.aspx

Machikoneko

Machikoneko
Hometown, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9559414

It may be toxic, but I have yet to run into the cat that can keep it down long enough to hurt themselves. *Yuck*

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Indoor Gardening and Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
anyone know how to root norwalk pines?? tom1953 4 Jun 14, 2010 5:43 PM
Ant's in my Plants! millertime71 9 Aug 26, 2009 6:53 PM
Houseplant Photos jdee 31 Apr 5, 2013 5:45 AM
Variegated Begonia Semperflorens mkjones 9 Jul 26, 2007 5:39 PM
A couple of silly questions... danak 9 Jun 18, 2012 6:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America