Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: Is Pothos Vine poisonous to cats?

Communities > Forums > Indoor Gardening and Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Indoor Gardening and HouseplantsReplies: 6, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lorettadog
Maple Lake, MN

June 16, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9168260

After reading that most parts of Pothos are poisonous, I'm wondering if that includes animals, or just humans? What I read wasn't specific, and I just brought home some cuttings from my cousin's house. I'd like to know if I have to make sure the plant will be above my cats' reach, or if it's only a problem for humans.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

June 17, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9168558

In large doses. See here: (Google is your friend!)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_pothos_plant_poisonous

lorettadog
Maple Lake, MN

June 17, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9169117

That too, refers to humans. It doesn't say anything about animals. There are many things that are toxic to cats, that aren't to humans, and I can only suppose the reverse is also true. It would be really helpful if someone who has had a cat that chewed on their Pothos could tell me what the result was. Perhaps I'd be better off posting this question on a cat lovers forum? Thanks anyway, tommyr2006 :o).

ps - I prefer Yahoo, except for maps.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9185275

Better late than never with a reply, the cat I have now (she's 14) chewed on one of my pothos when she was a kitten and never to this day has she ever made an attempt to touch it again, so it must have tasted really nasty is my guess, HOWEVER she will eat a parlor palm in a day given the chance, cats are crazy creatures to say the least.
Christine
lorettadog
Maple Lake, MN

June 29, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9187088

Thanks Jasminesmom - that's just the kind of info I was looking for. :o) And you're absolutely correct about cats - they can be just plain weird! Dogs are so much easier to understand.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9187358

ASPCA lists it as toxic to cats http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants/golden-pothos.aspx

Machikoneko

Machikoneko
Hometown, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9559414

It may be toxic, but I have yet to run into the cat that can keep it down long enough to hurt themselves. *Yuck*

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Indoor Gardening and Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
anyone know how to root norwalk pines?? tom1953 4 Jun 14, 2010 5:43 PM
Ant's in my Plants! millertime71 9 Aug 26, 2009 6:53 PM
Houseplant Photos jdee 31 Apr 5, 2013 5:45 AM
Variegated Begonia Semperflorens mkjones 9 Jul 26, 2007 5:39 PM
A couple of silly questions... danak 9 Jun 18, 2012 6:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America