Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Clematis: Summer clematis chat

Communities > Forums > Clematis
bookmark
Forum: ClematisReplies: 214, Views: 1,569
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9168401

Coming from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1259448/

The group 2's are coming to a close with a few still blooming well but summer begins in a few days and so our chat continues about all clem's but especially on the group/class/type 3's that will be blooming all summer.

This is the end of Josephine for spring and I like the look of it as it finishes blooming.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 17, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9168455

Very pretty!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9168482

Mine didnt do very well this year. I guess getting ripped off the trellis this fall did not make her happy. Well there is always next year. The rest are doing great.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9168631

Thanks, Marilyn. It does have perfect placement on that trellis!

Marie - some years some clem's just don't do as well as we wish they would and getting ripped from a trellis can be a major shock to the plant.

Now we have the end of the lupines, a few clematises like this Rituaal (far left) still going strong and Japanese irises in such gorgeous bloom. The photos were taken this morning around 6:40 so the lighting isn't ideal.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9168683

Glad to see the short thread. About the only part of the clematises left are the beautiful heads. It will be interesting to see if the ones that haven't bloomed yet still will. However, there are so far two first bloomers, so I cannot complain. Guess the only complaint was the great amount of insect damage to the petals. That never happened before. And boy, do we have chipmunks! Glad I started most of the caladium bulbs indoors. There's a tremendous amount of destruction from chipmunk or squirrels or peter wabbit. It is a good thing I planted my little heart out so there's enough to go around.

Thumbnail by cathy166

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

June 17, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9168708

I am always amazed at the difference in bloom times betwen our gardens. My Japanese Iris are done> Lupines are said to not grow here so I can't say to much about them . I am going to grow some from seed so we will see how that goes.

Following pirls lead on another forum, I have planted out a couple of bags of Home Depot Dahlias. The large ones are now passing through 2 feet. They already have big buds.

We have had a sudden decrease in the number of squirrels and rabbits since our new neighbors have been on the warpath with the ones in his vegie garden.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 17, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9168894

My chipmunks have multiplied! Pretty grape poppy...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9169113

Cathy/Marcia - are you still waiting for some group 2's to bloom. Last year a few did bloom for me in July because of the cold spring. I love the heads! Some are golden but Pauline is silver and so pretty. Insect damage on clem's for us is usually due to earwigs so I use Ortho's Bug Geta Plus. It kills snails, slugs and earwigs - a home run. I've never had a chipmunk here and the squirrels and rabbits haven't damaged anything so the best I can advise you to do is use Blood Meal to deter the rabbits but if you have hounds or they are in the neighborhood you might not want to do that!

John - I'm also surprised at the different times our plants bloom. I'd guess we're at the peak for Japanese irises but on the second go round for many of the lupines sending up smaller stalks but just as welcome. I should check the dahlias but I just finished with 8 hours of weeding and then mulching in the vegetable garden. Jack planted well over 100 onions (yellow) in addition to the many red ones he planted a few weeks ago. Tomatoes are looking good as is the broccoli, lettuce, peas, green beans, cukes and shallots. The local foxes in our town look well fed and that may account for the decrease in rabbits here.

Oh, no, Marilyn! From all I've heard, though they are sweet looking, no one needs chipmunks. The poppy fell apart in the breeze today as I watched. Nature is fascinating.

Another of my favorite JI's - Dark Desire.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9169114

Looks better this way!

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 17, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9169140

Great saturated color!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9169265

Thanks. I just love it. I took the same shot between 6 and 7 tonight while the irrigation system was on and I'm curious to see if it looks as good.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

June 17, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9169402

Beautiful
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9169416

Yeh Arlene, that second picture is better on my head. I did not have to turn it sideways so far...lol
The color is so pretty on the Iris, Is that one that likes moist soil?
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9169525

Arlene, I really don't know what to expect as these last two plants have never bloomed before, nor have they ever grown so much. Both trellised, one has fallen over any number of times, and the other thinks the rosebush is the trellis.

The Ensatas are almost done, with just a few more buds to go.
And thanks to ID by Pollyk, we have a Louisiana Black Gamecock iris (second photo), the first time it bloomed. I learn so much from DG.

At least lilies and caladium bloom and sprout the same season they're planted, easier for short-term memory. I barely remember the picture of the clem I planted, just that they were a lavender/pink with pretty little marks around the center. There's a large plastic bag in the basement full of bags that held peonies, lilies, tulips, clematis and a few others. More than once I have felt ridiculous in the plant ID forum to find out that I did indeed do the planting, and there is a bag with a photo on it for visual proof. I know I need to photograph them and make a file, but I can't seem to find the time.

I haven't seen any four-legged wolves so far, but I'll take anything to get rid of chipmunks. I swear: some little chipmunk spread his seed all over the city of Stamford. It's like one of the ten plagues. I don't think there is a container in the yard planted this year that hasn't been tainted by a cute little chipmunk.

Happy gardening in this great weather!
Marcia

Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 18, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9169722

Cathy, stunning color on those irises...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9169793

Yes, Marie, the JI's do enjoy moist soil.

Marcia - you can use dental floss to keep the clematises in place on the trellis. It's strong and nearly invisible.

That is Black Gamecock. I have that one and many others. They bloomed early this year and they were gorgeous, as usual. Photos of a few favorites attached. The white one is Edna Grace and Swirling Waters (a gift I love) is the dark one, then a collage.

If you took a photo of the clem you can post it and we can try to identify it for you. I agree that for short term memory purposes it's nice to have plants that bloom the same year we get them. It's one reason I won't buy Japanese irises from anyone but Greywood Farm, Among the owner, Darlyn's, introductions... http://greywoodfarm.squarespace.com/2011-2010-ji-intros/
or Eartheart Gardens...http://www.eartheartgardens.com/.

All I received from Greywood in mid April have already bloomed. Maybe it just shows I'm either impatient or too old to wait around three or four years to have plants bloom. My Eartheart order also bloomed this year. Instant gratification is sweet.

The photo I posted above is actually 'Greywoods Dark Desire'.

Isn't there any cure for the chipmunk problem? Seems farmers up your way must have something that works.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9170317

Hi Everyone, We just got back from visiting relatives and Trout fishing in Pa. My Niobe in its 3rd. year is starting to do well as you can see in the attachment. This plant was a very poor starter (the plants fault...not mine !!) I looked up "Niobe' in one of my ancient history text books She was honored as the Queen of Thebes, Daughter of Tantalus and there is no agreement on her mother!She married Amphion and had had 7 daughters and 7 sons. She made as terrible social Faux pass at a party for the minor goddess 'Leto' she mocked Leto for having only two children. Leto availed herself of Apollo and Artimis to destroy all of Niobes children. Apollo killed the seven sons and Artimis then slew the seven daughters with her bow. Niobe turned into a stone fountain to represent the symbol of eternal morning!(remind me not to talk so much at parties when Iv' been drinking!!) The Gods were a viscious bunch!!. So thats were this lovely clematis got its name! Lee.

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9170639

Very nice Niobe and a wonderful trellis. Did you make it, Lee?

I'm not fond of all the murdering that went on with those gods.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9172836

Hi Pirl, Yes I made the trellis. I have made a lot of it for my other gardens that I have now abandoned...sad,sad,sad. Gardening goes on and all is well now!! Each section has a diamond shape center I'm sure you will see the diamond in a pic sooner or later. Can you help me I.D. the clematis in pictures 1 and 3 ? Last summer I planted the compact Bijou (picture 3) and Fillagree, Bijou is a great color, both are small but vigorous.Fillagree bloomed earlier and as well but, I didn't get pics. I am in hoped they will be long blooming I have a few spots were they will look great! It has been very dry spring here,I hope everyone is enjoying summer. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9172908

Your trellises are wonderful, Lee.

Sorry, I don't know the name but hope someone will come along and give it to you. That shade of blue is very nice.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9174028

Interesting blooms in picture 3, Lee. Pretty color, and some of the blooms seem to have 4 petals.

Pirl, I hope you are not outdoors too much today. This weather is a big surprise for June, but it should let up tonight.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9174034

n my last post I mistakenly I.D.'d picture # 3 as c'Bijou', it is really picture # 2! Here are a few more pics of the very compact c.'Bijou' I am having more Ear wig problems than ever before. My "Bug Geta" regular not extra doesn't seem to controlling them well. I have had this bag for 4 years and although I have kept it resealed and dry I think it is shot. I will go get a bag of 'Bug Geta Plus' Everyone please tell me what the clematis I think is either in last post may be,I think it is either 'Pearl D Azure' or 'Eimilea Plater' it is very vigorous and flowering heavily for a 2 year old plant. Robin, what clematis are blooming well for you currently? So, I made a planting map of all the new clematis planted last spring and early summer...sure as He** wish I knew were it was! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 21, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9174128

The only clems blooming for me are Gypsy Queen, & Omoshiro...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG   Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9174289

This morning my Hanryi finnaly had a bloom, I quickly took a picture before the grasshoppers eat him. It is a small flower, but least I know I am doing something right with him. HL Young is still blooming and it makes the picture nice with the Center stage Coreopsis. My Daniel Deronda suddenly shot up the feet tall, and have 2 buds on it, I am happy with it. The S. Ptitsa clem had a bloom but the bugs chewd it up. It is very hot here and I have to water every day just to keep up. Stay cool, everybody. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9174375

Lee - the color for the clematis in question is right for Perle d'Azur but Perle has five sepals, not four. I've never seen the other one you mentioned so maybe that's it. Bijou is compact! It's also lovely.

Marilyn - lucky you having two such beauties still in bloom!

Etelka - I'm so glad you got to see Henryi before the grasshoppers made breakfast of it. Love your photo!

Cathy/Marcia - I was out very early taking photos but walking across the black asphalt driveway was hideous so I came back inside for the day. I can catch up on sorting photos since this is prime Japanese iris week and I've taken almost one thousand photos so far.

I agree with Etelka - stay cool, everyone!

1. A portion of a JI garden.
2. Jackmanii has taken over the stump (now almost invisible) and has reached the green wire planter in the bird platform feeder.
3. The same Jackmanii with the lily, Stunning.
4. Mme. Julia Correvon. I am very pleased with this one and the tremendous growth in just seven or eight months.
5. Henryi surprised me with one new bloom today. Here I thought he was worn out from the fabulous display this year!

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 21, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9174787

Wow...the clems look so awesome with the lilies...love that light yellow one...the JI is a beauty as well...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9174791

Thank you, Marilyn. I love that lily as well.

This winter I hope to get Jack to use the leftover copper piping to form a "tree" atop the stump and hope the clematis will climb up to give us some height there.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9174869

Pirl and Kiseta- My Henryi is in its second year, It had 9 large splendid early "old wood" flowers and one wilted stem. I used a pair of bypass pruners I had cleaned with Clorox clean up wipes to cut the wilt effected stem. The plant quit blooming briefly then started a lot of new growth without adding more fertilizer of any kind however, for the last eight days it has become a complete wilted mess! It hurts me to see it! It is my all time favorite large flowered type. I had another for eleven years it was grand also.I am going to take a picture of it in present state so I can share it with you all, I know we cant have everything but, I an so upset.
Lee
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9174960

How sad for you, Lee. It is a problem with some clem's but I've found it happens here more with those in shade. I'm guessing you'll be cutting it back hard and then hoping for new growth, which you should get. No sense having a wilted mess of a heartache to torture you. I feel so bad for you.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 22, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9175793

Went to WFF's sale this morning & came home with Diana's Delight...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9175930

Very nice, Marilyn. http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/26673-product.html
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9176095

I guess there is some hope. I thought they were finished, but I found this lovely bud.

Thumbnail by cathy166

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 22, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9176216

Pirl, the sale brought the price down to $4.00!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9176265

Marcia - every bud is precious at this time of year.

Marilyn - GOOD DEAL! I did go out plant shopping but it was for a coleus sale. All were huge pots for $2.50 each. I ended up planting them in the rain and it felt great since our central air quit last night around 8 PM. Repairman is due to be here tonight. The only clematis they had at the nursery was a Jackmanii so I could resist without a problem.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9176695

Pirl, I will take your good advice with my c.'Henryi' I was going to cut it back and pick up ALL the leaves and clipping but, I was just going to keep it watered. I will instead feed with two shovels full of old sheep manure and even though it had 5 sterns I will give it 4 oz. of Epsom salts.Thanks for the encouragement and I do realize I get awfully emotional for a plant but, I do! Here is a picture from May It is a giant strain of Ajuja that grows under our Purple Weeping Birch.Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9176944

That Ajuga is amazing!

Cutting Henryi back and picking up all stems and leaves (not for compost) is your best bet along with a drink of ES and manure or compost if you have it. Definitely mulch it to conserve moisture.

It's always disturbing and emotional to have to cut down a clematis, especially one you love so much (as I do). At least you'll be able to rejoice as new stems emerge.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 23, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9176955

Love that weeping birch! Hope the a/c gets fixed quickly, Pirl, although I think the worst of the heat is over for awhile...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9176972

Marilyn - our plumber got his guy to fix it and it was done by 8 PM and the house was cool by 10 PM - blissful sleep!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 23, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9176975

Oh, lucky, lucky!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9177044

Yes, we are most fortunate to have the best plumber ever!

This past week I noticed a clematis in full bloom that I have no memory of having planted. It's at the left side of the Jackmanii by the compost bins. This photo was taken from the rear and you can see how good old reliable Jackmanii is out to take over the three compost bins and this surprise clematis is in beautiful bloom.

If anyone knows the name of it I'd love to know it. Thanks.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9177085

I would name her MIss Pretty. What a nice surprise.

Last week I bought a Bonefish Coleus and a Red Coral for about 4.99 or 5.99. When I checked out another nursery for the under the sea plants, they wanted 12.99 for a larger, nicer pot, but not one I can afford. It will be rooting and bushing out soon enough. Because of the impending heat, I rushed to get those and the additional coleus plants replanted (in containers, of course). Some of the plants required 2 waterings on Wednesday and Thursday. Most survived the heat wave except for the Empress of India Nasturtium.

Keeping an eye on the clematis bud, and I saw another this morning.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 23, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9177086

What a beautiful color...looks like a raspberry!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9177112

I'll search PlantFiles and some sites to try and get a name but now it seems to me it has to be a class 3. Time will tell.

Coleus prices certainly are strange and I don't want any two gallon pots of them (more holding over the winter is not for me) so I was thrilled to get the ones I did buy. I'll check my Empress of India Nasturtium today and see how it fared over the heat wave in a copper box along with other plants. One potted clematis, pitcheri, did suffer some browning of the foliage that ended up on the brick. I should have turned it so the foliage was in the garden. So far all the temporarily potted clematises are doing well despite the heat.

The crocosmias are taller than many lilies that normally hit 5'. It will be a fun July for photography. The Asiatics all seem the right height or much taller.

Marilyn - yes, you're right. It is the color of raspberries and all of our real raspberries are getting ready early with tiny fruits already.

Here's Eyeliner lily and it must be 5' tall this year.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 23, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9177388

Lovely, & tall for an Asiatic...Old Barn Farm (where my son lives) started a raspberry patch last year...they are hoping to take some to the farmer's market in town...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9177397

Raspberries command good prices around here. The problem is not eating them as they're picked. Often they become my breakfast in the garden.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9177732

Marcia - My Empress of India Nasturtium did survive the heat.

Thumbnail by pirl

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9179062

Your Empress looks lovely. The Empress and Mixed Jewel were the same size when they started out, and I have a feeling that the chipmunks did a number on it. I always purchase both, and Empress of India always stays smaller. I am surprised that it still has blooms, so I will keep an eye on it. I usually plant them ingroud, but this year decided to do a window box, and I thought they were doing very well up until last week. So well, in fact, that the leaves are larger than I've ever seen on the Jewel mix. I hope Empress will come back.

We have all been plagued by chipmunks. They have stirred up all my containers with soft soil. I always use fresh potting soil and vermiculite in containers, and it seems to make it easy for them to go after my bulbs even when nothing has sprouted. They have probably ruined about one third of the callas, have disturbed every celosia. They don't (so far) seem to go after plants in garden soil. It was suggested on another thread that I get some milorganite, so that is job number one tomorrow. There were 3 Hilo Beauty corms planted with Miss Muffett in March, and the chipmunks will not leave it alone!

Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9179140

Would a zillion mouse traps work to catch them? I have no idea what to use for bait.

More brand new buds on the cut back Dr. Ruppel. If I could find the camera I'd show them to you!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9179262

Based on what I heard at the Garden Center, mouse traps don't work. They are very fast. And they are very cute...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9179540

Someone on another thread suggested sprinkling black pepper on the surface after planting. I think it works... I kept forgetting and going back over places when I was planting most of my seedlings and mail order plants. Some areas were left alone, and I think the ones that were bothered may have gotten less pepper, or none. Now I have a huge container from Costco, so will be more liberal in my application in the future.

Pam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9179545

I can envision a thousand chipmunks sneezing!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9179603

How about just sprinkling it all over the area that they are in ? I have some in my front bed , where they have dug a nice home under my slab patio.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 25, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9179660

Thanks for the tip, Pam...holes are throughout my gardens!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9179748

Black pepper did not work for my plants. And I also tried blood meal for peter rabbit, and that may have worked.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9180925

The Jackmanii devouring the stump (not the Jackmanii attacking the compost piles or the one that invades the lantern) now reaches from new growth at ground level to 6' high. I thought it looked especially nice against the Angelina sedum.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 26, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9181603

Wonderful color combo! The sedum you sent is blooming for me...looks great!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9182383

That's good news, Marilyn. It is a great ground cover.

Jackmanii continues growing and blooming at a very fast pace!

Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9182640

Does your Sedum smother out other things? I have that stuff and I find it takes over, and I am afraid that it will smother my clems.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9182657

It's so shallow rooted that I don't think it's even capable of smothering any other plant. I have some by both Nelly Mosers and two Omoshiros as well as all around the disappearing stump with Jackmannis, an unknown pink, and Etoile Rose. I love how easy it is to remove!

Clematises should be well rooted down to at least a foot for three year old plants so I wouldn't worry about the top 1/4" of covering.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9182746

ok, then I will let it go to town like it is. I dont know about you, but if I drop it somewhere it grows there. It has just about gone all over one of my flower beds now.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9183095

Same here, Marie. I have to delete some, now and then, or it would cover the brick terrace.

If anyone wants some of it please feel free to come over and take some.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 27, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9183146

I love it...I have an area outside my fence on the roadside where I grow DLs & sedums...perfect...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9183217

I posted this on the rose forum, but no one is answering. It looks like I have mealy bug on some of my roses. what can I do?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9183240

Try Google for an answer. I don't know what the solution would be.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9183368

I am doing the happy happy dance, Daniel D. is having a new flower, very blue, and the Ruutel is growing still some mini flowers but they are beutiful. Here it is 95-100 deg. this week, I am keeping the clems alive, thank God. Watering every day. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9183431

You are doing so well, Etelka. They are both beautiful. The clematises are showing their thanks by flowering for you.

We have lots of sunshine and lots of wind along with a mild 75 degrees.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9183453

nice color, I am liking the reds I see.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9186096

Hi Everyone, A wile ago I submitted a picture of a lt. blue noid. Well, Now I Know! The fist picture here is same plant but with five Tepals and so the noid is 'c. Pearl De Azure'!! The earlier posted with 4 tepals were immature flowers or early flowers. At this point 'Pearl' is very vigorous, multi stemmed and developing many buds...all at 2 years old !! oh Happy. The 2nd. Picture is a Japanese Iris I grew from seed long ago. It was the only one that was double. It is very hardy up here and I have given away many plants from it. I once saw a splendis jewel tone blue Japanese Iris at Hamilton R.B.G. but it was unlabeled in a mass display and I havn't seen it since. Lord it was lovely! Lastly, In my June 22nd posting. I misidentified a weeping purple Beech tree as a purple Birch! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

June 29, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9186238

Lee
Thats a very nice Japanese Iris. I grew some from seed a few years ago ...but they all turned out to be the old blue.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 29, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9186619

Both plants are stunning...
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9187061

Aha! Marilyn and I both have Long Island sedum :) All my clems are taking a breather but I see some new buds on the group 2 early bloomers.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9187196

Ha! I wonder how that happened.

The Duchess of Albany has bloomed so well and so early. I hope it repeats later this summer. Princess Diana is blooming but she's not as prolific for me as she is for others.Ville de Lyon keeps on blooming as do two of the three plots of Jackmanii. It has been a good clematis year...very good.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 30, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9187372

Aren't we lucky, Weeze! Gypsy Queen & Omoshiro are still blooming, all others are resting...I hope. Drove down a side street in town today, & noticed a very pretty pink clem on a lamp post...
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

June 30, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9187555

Everything here is at a dead stop. We have had temperatures the last 2 days 102, 105 . Today is predicted to be 104. We did have a beautiful spring.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9187561

I'm at a dead stop here, John, and it's "only" 91. It's just too hot in the sun and fine in the shade but I'm almost out of shade jobs. It's a good day for a nap.

Stay cool, everyone.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

June 30, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9187789

I saw where 1,200 heat records were broken yesterday...many in KY & TN...
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9187843

Here in Ga too, 105 today, we broke the record. I am watering in the morning and some at evening . Hope next week will get some rain like they promissed. The kids where here with my Dinlaw and I have finnaly got my stepping stones done in mosaic. They where having a good time. The second picture is my favorite, when the dog and the older GS are watching dad cuting grass. This is 11 years old picture.
My DDInlaw red something funny on the internet "Who ever stole our airconditioner, keep it, you will need it where you are going" This weather is just a test.
For some odd reason, all my clems are budding, that is why I am so worried about them.
Etelka

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9188117

This weather has given many states huge problems with the severe storms.

What a precious photo of baby and dog! I love it. That's a cute quote, Etelka, that your DIL saw. Your grandsons look so happy and healthy.

One of my clem's budded up during the week and I was very surprised to see it blooming today.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

July 1, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9188575

Etelka ...those are some precious pictures.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9188618

Kiseta- That is a precious picture of the Grandson and dog. I miss my children and am always happiest when I can spoil my Grandchildren!
The first picture is my c'Warsaw Falcon' this is its second season and first bloom. She is producing lots more foliage and buds so I am in hopes she continues to bloom even in her youth!
The second picture is c.'Vitecella' I was sold to me as c.'Betty Corning' some time in the 70's but, I do believe it is the species. I certainly would be glad to hear anyone's on opinion on the the identity of this one!
The 3 rd. picture is a photo of c.Lil Duckling' that I copied in black and white because I paint and draw and reducing the photos to black and white to help see contrast better.
Have a great week everybody. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 1, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9188630

Loved the photo of baby & dog! I just finished painting a white rose...all you paint are the shadows!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9188681

Warsaw Falcon is doing so well, Lee. Interesting perspective on Piilu/Little Duckling.

Marilyn - I'd never have thought of it that way!

Here's Dr. Ruppel in his second cycle already: in bud June 27. I had cut him back seriously on June 1.
In bloom June 30.
Close-up June 30th. Maybe it's the heat but I don't think it's as large as it was in May. Has anyone else found that to be true?

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 1, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9189013

This happened at our picnic today...have never seen hail like it...lasted about 15 min.

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9189102

We had tunderboomers, but not a drop of rain yet. Etelka
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9190412

Robin Dog- This seems to be an very odd weather year, I am glad you were not hurt! did it rip up your clematis? hows about big leafed plants like Hydrangeas? It has been a terribly dry year for so many of us.
Here is a picture of c. 'Princess Diana' a very Zingy pink. I don't know if I like bright colors all that much!
The Plant is more vigorous and a lot better lower foliage coverage as summer goes on than my my other Texensis c.'Duchess of Albany' that I have grown for 319 years.
I would like to ask how many of us are having drought problems and were you live. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9190535

That's some size hail, Marilyn!

We haven't had rain yet either, Etelka. I wish we'd get some to break this awful heat.

Lee - I have both Princess Diana and Duchess of Albany and find them comparable but D of A shows more legs than PD yet I have many more flowers on D of A than PD. Our hydrangeas in the front, where we lost a tree that shaded them, are suffering some burnt leaves but most of the others are okay.

Pauline is about to bloom again. You can just spot some dark blue lacecap hydrangeas at the left rear in this photo. They are in a lot of shade so they don't ever show burnt leaves but there is one to the right, in sun, that does suffer more.

Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9190976

My poor Dutches of Albany was over taken by the Jacknami. She struggled to get some sun. I see now that I will have to move her this fall to a new home.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 3, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9190985

Lee, the hail was at my cousin's home, about 10 miles from my house...he lost some pots of annuals...only small hail was reported where I live, no damage to any of my plants...my car, however, is dinged...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9191000

Marie - The Duchess is no match for Jackmanii. She'll be happier in another spot.

Marilyn - I remember summer storms and hail when we'd be on vacation in upstate NY from the time I was a young child. My mom was always amazed at the size of the hail and our brand new '49 Chevrolet got its share of dings.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 3, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9191014

Pirl, this was certainly a frightening storm...the hail came down for about 15 min., did crack a windshield on another car in the drive...I was worried about the windows breaking!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9191025

I'm sure! Mother Nature can be so frightening.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9191726

Mother Nature sent a very strong storm threw south Jersey. They say it was a tornado with out the funnel. That is how much damage it caused. Power was out from Friday till yesterday and some are still without power. Trees down all over, power lines down. power poles broke in half. Nasty storm.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9191753

Very nasty. The news is filled with tragic stories about it.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9191777

Marilyn I'm shocked! We've been in LI for a few days, coming to CT Friday. How widespread was the hail? I'm glad it didn't hit your house! What a year!!!
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

July 3, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9191908

I really feel for the storm and fire victims. Susan's daughter son in law and grandchildren live in Arlington. They have been without power since the storm.

We ordered a generator a month ago. The house was piped and wired for it last week , and it will be installed Thursday. Who knows when this extreme weather will end.

We are in the midst of a record drought here.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 4, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9192482

Pam, the hail was from one cell...Sharon to Old Lyme, but the largest hail was Watertown & Cheshire...I hope Warren was OK...Time, I have a generator...saved me last June when linestorms took out my power lines for 4 days...saved me in Oct. when the blizzard knocked out power for 8 days!
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

July 4, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9192552

Robin Susan and I discussed it for some time. I think the current extreme weather finally decided us. We were without power for 5 days with remnants of Hurricane Ike, nine days with an ice storm and 3 days after a straight line wind storm. it looks like we have had about the same experience.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 4, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9192657

Yep...good luck!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9193793

Today not as hot but it is humid. I noticed the HF Young had some dry leaves and when I cut them of, also cut of two blooms. Almost cried, but I have brought them in and put them in the water, least I will enjoy them for a few days. Daniel D. is just keep on climbing, has a few buds on it. It is nice inside, eating some very sweet honeydews. Pirl, I red that the lobsters are very plentyful this year, you can eat some lobsterroll more often. Etelka

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9194061

It's hot here and I worked outside for three hours, finished my project, and now will remain in the nice cool AC for the rest of the day.

Clematis flowers do very well in vases, Etelka, so you can enjoy some outside and some inside during the hot weather. Your Daniel D. is doing so well!

How I love lobster rolls!

Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9194082

I just Googled the Lobster roll in Augusta, Ga, Only Red Lobster (chain rest) had it, 17.00 roll with chips. No thank you, I want some of the large fries with it, like on the picture. Yumm
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9194115

We get Maine Lobsters, and they cook them for us at the grocery stores. Fairway's are definitely the best. My mouth is watering at Pirl's lunch, but I cannot complain, as last Friday's was 2.69 lbs and delicious. Lots of summer fairs around here have good lobster rolls depending on who is running the booth—if it is not a seafood place, wait till later. Lobster is more available here in the northeast, I guess, but still an expensive treat!

My little clematis in the bed by the front porch is finally in bloom. I WAS patient, and it has paid off with medium sized, lavender blooms. Just a few, but I'm confident that next year if all goes well, they will be in full array. And if we're still living here...

Marcia
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9194254

It used to be that Red's Eats in Maine ( http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2959 ) was the best lobster roll with one entire pound of lobster in each roll but now so many places in Maine and, definitely Arnold's in Eastham, Cape Cod, have excellent lobster rolls that we don't limit ourselves to having just one on vacation.

Etelka - I seldom eat the fries because I opt to have the lobster bisque.

Great news with the lobster and the clematis, Marcia! I have one pink nameless one in bloom now on top of the Jackmanii that devoured the stump. Are you considering moving, Marcia? Would it be local or to another state?

Thumbnail by pirl

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9194470

I have to stick with clematis - I am allergic to lobster...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9194548

So pretty!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 6, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9195063

Very dainty flowers!
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9195167

Carolyn, I really like c. 'Roguchi' more every time I see a picture of it. What size are the flowers? I read 1 inch one place and 3inches in others. How long did your Roguchi take to establish? I am somewhat allergic to paying for lobster!!
Kiseta- My H.F. Young has also opened a few blooms and there seem to be a lot of buds that should flower in the next few weeks but, all bets are off in this weather! You must have to watch your plants closely and water all the time ! Even up here it was 71deg. and very humid when I left the garden at 8:30 this a.m.
I hope everyone enjoys their weekend! I plant to do a lot of sketching from photos and listening to records in my A.C.ed room. Lee Sherwood

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9195173

It's birthday time again...Happy Birthday to Etelka. May all your flowers thrive and may your clematises bloom forever.

Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9195194

Thank you Pirl, I hope to have a cool day in the house, since I already watered everything. I tought I give my self a nice painted kitchen, I have planed on it for few years. Already pulled out the frig and the stove and painted in the back of it. That was two years ago. This weekend I will finish the job, I promiss. It is going to be a oker yellow, very nice color. My John Warren is kind of waking up, started growing a little, hope the grasshoppers will leave it alone. Now only the Ice Blue and the 3 Venosa Violacea have not bloomed yet. They are the last I have planted, I am just happy they are surviving the heat. Thank you again, Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9195223

So you're celebrating by painting the kitchen? I hope you enjoy the work, the pride in having done it and will post a few photos to show us your birthday gift to yourself - they are the best kinds of gifts.

Enjoy whatever you do today, Etelka, and keep cool. You've done a fantastic job with your clematises despite the heat and the grasshoppers!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9195440

Thank you for your kind words. I have been postponing this kitchen painting, but it is not a big job, my kitchen is 12 x 12 , it used to be a bedroom. It has a closet with a window, that is where I grow my orchids. They seem like like the east sun, they done well for me. I brought home one that somebody trown out, now I have 6 in different stages.
Today part of the painting is to use the blue tape around the trimm and to cover all the cabinets. Early in the morning, after my few cups of coffe will do the ceiling. This house probobly has 100 coats of paint, it was built 1947. Every time I am thinking of moving, I get very emotional, so I will just finish fixing it up and live here with all the city problems and the grasshoppers.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 6, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9195482

Happy birthday! I need to paint also, but it's just too hot! Pretty clems, Lee & Pirl...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9195765

Happy Birthday! And happy painting! I hope you saved time to sit and enjoy your beautiful and floriferous garden, you've earned it over and over again. I love your energy and creativity, and wish you great happiness when you view your successes!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012

Post #9195813

Thanks, everybody, I just turned the computer back on, we had some tunderboomers, I am not to comfortable with the storm, I live under a 100 years old oak tree and its been coming down by branches, hope the large ones stay up there. The garden in holding on, water it every day. I am surprised by the clematis how good they look, also the hostas are looking well, hope I am not overwatering them.
Al my life I was able to do my own work, eccept electrical, love to paint and do some woodwork, only thing I have to many projects, sometime things do not get done. I promissed my self I will take room at the time and get rid of things and finish most projects. I have 2 more months off from work, hope to use my time well. I have seen my coworkers on a 4th of July pickninck, and got my Birthday song, so it was all well. Kids called and said the card is going to be late, but that is life, roll with the punches. Love you all and thank you for caring .

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9195839

Sounds like you had a good birthday, Etelka, and that's exactly how birthdays should be.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

July 6, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9195880

Happy Birthday Etelka
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9195891

Thank you, John. By the way my rose is growing but no blooms on it yet, I am hoping it is not to much shade for it. It gets sun about 11am-5pm, do you think that is enough. Maybe in the Winter I will move them to more sunny area. We had over 100 here for days, so we never know what is right amount of sun. Thanks again, Etelka
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9196488

Happy Belated Birthday. Hope the painting is going well. and the weather is co operating.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9196505

This morning I went out to water, so I also cut the shrubs and picked up the limbs, now I am cooling off and planing to do the ceiling first, already got the cobwebs . Everytime I go outside, my new neighbor (they are not working people) ask me for someting. I told him I do not lend my tools anymore, noone brings them beck. The last neighbor got hauled away to jail for Meth. I googled this guys name and he is a wanted fugative, . I am tired of this freeloaders, so if I am rude to them, I will ask Gods forgivness. I told the guy, you are on your own, I want to enjoy my time in the garden instead worry about his needs. Feel bad for the two kids that he and his woman are draging around, moving all the time. I am P>O> maybe I will pant faster. Etelka

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 7, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9196736

If he's wanted by the police, give them a call!
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

July 7, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9196782

Etelka
I suapect that will be enough sun. My rose only blooms in spring with a few here and there all summer

John
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9198958

After watering this morning, I found a poor lonly Rebecca, I guess out of her missery she give it all, one flower. Etelka
I guess all this watering, I think my pink dogwood got frissky, have 3 blooms on it.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9198978

As long as Rebecca is still blooming and doesn't have wilt, you've done a fine job.

That dogwood is remarkable. It may be the only frisky thing happening in this weather.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9198986

And around this house...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9198994

Ha, ha!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9201311

I dug up an area of Mother Earth irises and cut them back. Anyone interested in having them for postage?

Thumbnail by pirl

KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

July 11, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9201533

I would love having some of your irises, Pirl. They are very pretty. kim
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9201582

We had some rain two days in the row, WOW, it gave me a extra hour and the half this morning to check everything out. I think I will move my trailing Hydrengea, it looks so terrible from being chewed up. But look at the good side, I will have 2 more spots for a sami-shade clematis, probobly in the Fall

Pirl, my mentor, how early can I plant the clems in the Fall, Brushwood said they are starting shipping in September. I think I would like the Princess Diana, and another simmilar clem, I think I have seen a blue one just like the PD.

I can save the Hydrengea, by moving it to the back 25ft trellis that I had some jasmin on, but they mislabeld the Confederat jasmin, gave me a Angel wing Jasmin, it is not as hardy, so last Winter I lost 2 out of 4. the garden in holding up, portulaca is not happy they like dry and I have been watering them to much.

PS the painting is going on good, done with the tall stuff, I thanked my son for a good job when he hang my upper cabinets. I had to hang on them for support and they held me up. He was laughing.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9201652

Kimmy - send me your name and address by Dmail and they'll be yours. They are lovely but I must have 100 of them by now.

Lucky you, Etelka. We haven't had rain and I'm hoping we get a day or two of slow and steady rain. Despite the irrigation system going on three times a week the earth is too dry.

If Brushwood is resuming shipment in September then it's fair to say that it's a safe planting time - just remember to water it in well and give it 3" of mulch and they should do fine. The climbing hydrangea (if that's what it is) would do best being moved as it goes dormant so that's probably November for you. The clematises could be potted up until it's time to move the hydrangea, then plant the clem's where the hydrangea was. I hope that nursery gave you credit for all the jasmine!

Good! I'm sure it made your son feel good to know he did a good job with the installation of the cabinets.

I've been out since 8:22 and the weather forecast said it was 67 then. They lied! I've been sweating all day.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9201733

Etelka, belated Happy Birthday, and as we used to say, many happy returns of the day.

First I've been on DG and able to read; regular computer has been down, and so am I. Too difficult to post photos.

We, too, were promised a shower, but I don't know where it is. This new, little clem is happy where she is with the heat. Everything seems to be happy with the heat except for the nasturtiums and me. The tomatoes are lapping it up! We no longer stake anything; we use trellises for all. I'd like to trellis a chipmunk!

We were in Alexandria, VA (DC area) for the weekend for a wedding. It was about 99-105 degrees, and everything was indoors. We had someone water plants for us, but everything was really parched when we got back Sunday night.

They said 70 degrees this morning, but it was much warmer than that. Arlene, you're just a bit older than I, but you've got lots more stamina (and probably more garden area)! I go out for 20-30 minutes, and if I'm working out there, it is too much heat, and I've got to go inside to the AC.

Marcia

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 11, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9201756

The humidity was awful today! But of course the gardens are bone dry!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9201818

Marcia - I left the tiny sprinkler running on low for a few plants I moved today (while I napped). They seem very happy now with more than two hours of water. It's either stamina or stupidity - I can't decide - that keeps me going.

They lied this morning and I think these weather sites are in on the conspiracy just to get us gardening. That lie goes with the "no mosquitoes" or "no chipmunks" or "low humidity". I did garden for the entire day of Monday in my fancy pajamas that look more like shorts and a tee shirt. Combined with my beach umbrella I did just fine. Thank God no photographers were watching.

Yes, Marilyn, it's dry here as well. When I went to dig out one plant I felt like I was digging into stone. Later I found out I really was digging into a rock!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9201831

Are you sure, Pirl, you have not been grazing on cloeus or Salvia??? I red on Wikopedia, that the Mazatec Indians in S Mexico used to chew the colelus because it is relaxing and Hallucinogenic (?) I hope my Getto neighbors do not find this out, I have a bunch of coleus in front, also my salvia is there too. Etelka
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

July 11, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9201852

I must be grazing on the same thing.

I left a sprinkler on all night. I was working in another part of the garden and asked Susan did you turn that sprinkler on.

She said no it was on all night. The bed looks really good.

John
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9201985

You'll know your neighbors found out about the properties of coleus and salvia if yours are missing one of these days, Etelka. I have not been chewing on anything - too busy watering, digging, moving and packaging plants. Now I almost have the urge to chew a coleus for dessert.

John - see that! We are the two who admit it but probably others have done it and feel as silly as you and I. Your plants must love you for the extra water!

After dinner I'll be collecting poppy seeds. Who knew life could be this exciting?
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9202039

Pirl, you need to go on the comedy tour. You have me in stitches!

Gotta go water again.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9202069

I can resist anything but temptation so I had blueberries and peach yogurt for dessert. I'll save the coleus for when I get desperate.

All poppy seed heads, except for the most recent bloom, have been clipped. I could hear the seeds falling to the bottom of the container so I got there in time. If anyone needs any just drop me a note.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9202076

You talking about poppys, these are poppys on the picture. This is my DN mother-in-law, growing purple flower poppys for bakery in Serbia. The police comes and inspects the pods for drug making signs, and on the end she sells the clean seeds to bakery. She has about 100 acres of it. It was beutiful when I seen it 5 years ago, it was blooming, light purple. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9202077

That's a LOT of poppies! It must have been so gorgeous while it flowered!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 12, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9202476

What a beautiful photo...wondered where all those poppy seeds were grown! I removed a bunch of annual poppies from one bed...I didn't collect the seed, just crushed a few pods to make sure they'll be back next year...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9202524

For those with chipmunk problems - you may want to follow this thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9202500

Marilyn - I did allow a few pods to drop in places, on purpose, hoping they'll come back.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9202935

I am dancing the jig, my painting is done and it is raining very good. There is hope for my garden. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9202948

Wonderful. Keep on dancing.

We're happy with our new arrival but he needs a name! I figured my clematis friends could help select a name. Lefty? Rocky? L.C.? Hawkeye? or choose another name.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9202949

Or Clem?
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9203047

I think Clem is grate...

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 12, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9203108

Oh, my! Isn't he precious! What's the breed? That may help choose a name, but I'm partial to Clem...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9203109

Thanks, Etelka. I liked that one best. I'm still getting in votes from friends near and far.

He's so good. He doesn't need a leash outside and he's very curious. He moves around a lot so it's hard to get a photo of him sitting still. Here he is in the kitchen, waiting for his dinner.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9203111

Thanks, Marilyn. He's a Havanese - a breed from Cuba originally and related to the Bichon Frisee.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 12, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9203118

I've seen Havanese at the dog show...they're lovable...well, a Spanish name might fit...
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9203141

How about Fidel ????
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9203198

Arlene

He is adorable! I vote for the name Clem. What a cutie. So glad you and Jack got another puppy!
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

July 12, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9203220

That is one beautiful dog. He has also just become one lucky dog. I am so happy for the three of you.

John
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9203253

Thanks, all.

Very sweet of you, John. After dinner the dog laid down by Jack's feet as he watched TV and Jack fell asleep along with the dog!

We thought of Fidel but nixed it. Jack thought of Jose and I said Hose B. Then, because he's so black and white, I thought of Oreo. So far we haven't reached any decision.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9203305

Long time ago I had a Lhasa Apso named Chuleta, which means porkchops on Spanish. She was a very good dog. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9203324

The shelter is online so I checked for the first time this morning and saw they had a Lhasa Apso, a little lighter color than Harry was. My fear was that we'd expect a reincarnation of Harry and have unreasonable or unfair thoughts about a new Lhasa. This dog is ideal. He's been curled up at Jack's feet for three hours now!

(I'm winning the name game with Clem so far!)

Thumbnail by pirl

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9203434

What a sweetie. Cheers to you and Jack for choosing a shelter dog. I think he appreciates you already.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9203513

I have to pop in and say how cute the puppy is!

A friend of mine had a black and white dog she named Wuhby(wuh-bee). Wuh for white and Bee for black. I like Clem, too.
KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

July 13, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9203653

Congrats Pirl...he couldn't be cuter and he's got it made now. I'm so happy for the three of you too! Look forward to hearing his name--I'm diggin Clem...kim
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9203698

Thanks, Marcia. He is a love. He waited while Jack showered, sitting like a good little boy until Jack was done.

Celia - thanks. Wuhby is a cute name. My daughter called him Lefty immediately so we'll consider that as well.

Kim - thank you. He loves the house and investigated all the rooms. Now he knows his way around and his tail is almost always wagging. He loves being brushed and takes his five daily medications with gusto. Even his twice a day eye medicine isn't an issue for either of us. Now he's sitting at the door waiting for Jack to return from his morning walk that followed his walk with the new arrival.

Love that "diggin Clem" comment!

(The band-aid on Jack's arm is from the puppy across the street, not from Lefty/Clem/Rocky.)

Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9203991

My Jig dancing turned into a raindance, it rained again good 30 minutes hard, so I think I will survive this heat with most of the flowers intackt, all the clems are well.
I have seen this picture on the internet, a husband planted oak trees after his wife died, I think it took him 6000 joung trees to achive his dedication to her. That is love. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 13, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9204077

Wow...that's wonderful...my stepdaughter just sent me a photo of a 'rug' in Belgium made of begonias...lovely...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9204160

We could use your jig and your rain dance up here, Etelka. I'd love a good soaking rain. That's a lovely tribute to the man's wife and I only hope he treated her well while he had her.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9204177

That was my hope too, about the man. I think we will have some more rain today and tomorow, gives me a break to pull some of the front flowers that did not make it. Got some more to plant, will be blooming till frost. Etelka
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

July 13, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9204250

We could sure use it here. Last "good" rain here was May 26th.

Arlene how bout naming you new family member Shep or Rin tin tin?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9204416

I'd love a few days of slow and steady rain. Had the hose on low for 8 hours (without a sprinkler) to saturate the ground and that did work but all of the gardens need it.

John - he doesn't answer to any name we've selected so far. I'll let you know how he reacts to Shep and Rin Tin Tin. He does react to the refrigerator so maybe his name should be Amana.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9204580

"Whirlpool! Heeeeere, Whirlpooool!!!"
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9204698

Funny! I'll try it out on him! At first I thought you had a lot of rain but now I get it.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9204704

What a sweet puppy! Congratulations on finding whatzizname!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9204722

Thanks, Pam. He's so adorable and so happy.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 14, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9204740

Cane? Wasn't sugar cane a crop in Cuba?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9204745

Yes, it was. We've already had another rescue beagle, Suga (no "r"). He's been responding to Lefty this morning.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 14, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9204753

So do I!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9204757

Funny! So does my son!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9206299

Cute!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9206387

Around 5pm we got 2-3 inches of rain in one hour. It was done quickly. Everything got a good soaking, and it dried up. And our water storage cisterns are full. I just went outdoors to find it raining again. We are never satisfied...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9206408

Thanks, Pam.

Marcia - we got the noise but not the amount of rain you did. We gardeners are seldom satisfied. We want Camelot and that is just fantasy.

Well, our boy finally has a name. He was doing something adorable today and we were both commenting on how smitten we were. His name is Smitty. Here he is with Jack, who has always said he did not want a lap dog. Don't tell Smitty!

Thumbnail by pirl

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9206413

Oh, I like that name. He's such a cute boy.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9206417

Thanks, Celia. He does know he's cute since he's told about 50 times a day.

Tonight I checked up on a Pinky and the Franziska Maria clematises that I potted up when I was trying to save them. They both have had Epsom Salts and were planted with all the usual amendments but there is no sign of growth on either of them while a newer arrival has grown two feet. Hard to understand them sometimes.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 16, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9206837

Clems are unique, aren't they? Smitty fits the little guy...nice that he has bonded so well with both of you...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9206923

They can be a challenge. One stem (of possibly 50 stems) of Ernest Markham has all brown crispy leaves. All other stems are fine and it's in minor bloom again. Dr. Ruppel is blooming and so is Henryi, who has climbed a hickory tree that must have been planted by squirrels. Another one keeps looking ready to bloom but hasn't done so yet. It's either the old Anna Louise, which I had given up as dead, or an escaped piece of Henryi.

Earlier in July I did cut back Candida. I still can't get up the entire 20' to get the rest of it but I did get most of it out, leaving just about a foot. Never again will I allow it to grow up into the magnolia that far.

So many lilies are in such beautiful bloom now.

Thumbnail by pirl

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9206952

Arlene, I have definitely been on Facebook too much. Kept looking for the "like" button under your cute puppy's photo. He is precious!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9206956

Funny! The tilt of the head is so charming.

He loves his new toys and is very possessive about them.

Look at the new growth on this new arrival (as of mid June). It's even a few inches taller today!

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 16, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9207543

It looks wonderful...did you get the torrential rain my stepdaughter did on LI? Her basement flooded...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9207605

No, we didn't, Marilyn. We got enough rain that it filled all the plant saucers but the birdbaths were not overflowing. Good luck to your stepdaughter!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9207608

We have rain right now but it won't last long. Storm clouds are doing touch-and-gos.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9207627

This morning I heard a good quote on radio: Climate is what we expect; weather is what we get.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9207783

And we're getting more of it tomorrow! Ugh, so difficult to be outside.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9207832

We just had a good old Summer gulywasher, it rained cars and dogs for 30 minutes and now it is quiet. I will be good enough for few day. I just firtilized my flowers this morning, so this came handy. Etelka
just a little funny picture from back home, first picture means a single person, then a married person and the last is a divorced person. Very true.

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012

Post #9207884

Just came in from outdoors where the humidity is awful and it's still over 80 at after 8 PM. I couldn't resist spraying myself with the hose water.

Sounds like you had a good hard rain, Etelka.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

July 16, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9207950

Just came in from the garden. I need to take some pictures and send them along, bu t am just too tired to do so.

Susan's garden club is coming on Thursday so we have been really stretching ourselves. She has really been a trooper.

Arlene...Smitty is really smart. He has already trained Jack to provide him with a lap to sit on. Susan and Daisy were at agility trials last week. She only qu alified in 2 of 8 events.

Dahlias are blooming . Daylilies are finishing. Roses are doing pretty good this year. A few small blooms on a couple of clems.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9207976

There is much angst when garden club members visit. I've only been through it twice and it was fun but the preparation for it is daunting.

Smitty is also very funny. Tonight I was outside the living room French doors watering a hanging plant with the hose. When the water hit the closed door poor Smitty must have flown about a foot in the air and we finally heard some real barks. They wouldn't fool a pit bull but it was fun to hear him (and even funnier to see his reaction).

Some dahlias are at a standstill here while others are in full bloom. I cut off 90% of the roses so the Japanese beetles would go elsewhere but left the blooms on Julia Child. The JB's found them. Nelly has a few more blooms and Ashva is winding down.

Look at the bud that's on my new arrival from June! I'm more excited than Smitty!

Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9208143

I wanted to say that my struggle with Advant Garde is paying off. She is doing so well in the pot and is now about 15 inches tall. Still pinching because I really want to growth to go to the roots not the plant. Not bad for a plug 2 years old I guess. 1 out of 2 still living. Yippee...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9208381

Good work! We have to celebrate all of our successes.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 17, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9208655

Cute Smitty story! My dahlias are either just standing still, or some have a few buds...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9208869

I do wonder what the issue is with the dahlias, Marilyn. One has been the same height (8"...maybe) for over a month now. Then I found one that I was sure didn't make it over winter and had it in the pile for trash when I spotted some growth. Now it's planted and I wonder if I'll get to see anything from it. Others are in flower and of normal height.

Earlier I mentioned Ashva is still in bloom. Today I noticed how nice and dark the flowers are despite the full sun and the heat we've had. It came from Brushwood last year and it's a real winner for our gardens. In 2011 it went from newly planted on 5/28 to 5' tall by fall and it's already at the 5' mark for this year.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 17, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9209076

That's a lovely clem! Will have to remember it...dahlias do not overwinter here, they turn to mush, so I buy new every year because I just can't store them...not a good year for mine...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9209189

Normally the dahlias left in the ground turn to mush so I only dug the ones I wanted to save and only a few survived. All that were in the ground survived - the unwanted ones!

I prefer buying new each spring rather than the trouble of digging (always a nasty day), washing, cutting back, storing, etc. It's just easier.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 17, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9209256

I tried everything for storage...vermiculite, peat, wax, basement, garage...they either turned to mush or shriveled...my DH didn't help...said his Grandma stored hers in an unheated shed in VT...but she must have protected them somehow!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9209382

Robin -

I store mine in vermiculite in the attic at the top of the stairs to the attic. If I am on top of things and do my misting of the dahlia tubers, they do fine. My attic is not heated, but I think there is enough heat with the attic steps. I also store my callas with my dahlias. I am zone 5 - what is your zone?

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 18, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9209848

I'm also a zone 5...I've never been in my attic! It has a pull down ladder, & my late DH rigged an extra heavy hatch with lots of insulation...I can't push it open...my son checks up there occasionally...
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9209921

I think my dad stored his dahlias in newspaper in the cellar, not exactly a basement. He always had good luck. He also could not have replaced the bulbs on his budget. In those years we made a career of saving and not wasting.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9209963

I still practice "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" I told my son, I could survive in a hard times, I used to help with butchering the pig, making sasauge, pluck chickens. The kids only know computers and Ipads. I hope we are not going any "worser" in this country. I still have my garden and that will keep me bussy. Good rain yersterday, I have a little break from the morning moscitous. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9210766

Today I was clearing part of a garden to make room for a Burgundy Iceberg floribunda rose and had to remove a lot of the low growing, late blooming, orchid/pink/lavender 'Pumila' astilbe. Please let me know if you'd like it for postage. Thanks.

There must be 20 clumps so if you only want half of them that's fine with me.

Thumbnail by pirl

bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9210845

Smitty is adorable.That is a great name. I am so happy that he is has captured your hearts. He had big "paws" to fill! We recently got a dog too. I was thinking of "Clemmie" but it was quickly vetoed by my kids.
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9210880

I have cut back most of my type 3s except for Arabella. It is a nice accident that she is growing through the marigolds.

Thumbnail by bananna18

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9211006

I will take some Arlene if you still have them.
I still have a few putting some blooms. I dont know how in all this heat. I have been trying to water everyday at least some where in the yard and flower beds. But by the morning it looks like I never added a drop.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9211069

Anna - I like Clemmie but Jack felt it was too feminine. Often we just call him Sport.

What a lovely accident! No matter how hard we plan the accidents of nature are splendid.

Sure thing, Marie. Just send me your name and address. Does "some" mean half? Save those coffee grounds and add them to the soil for astilbes. They help hold water. Compost is also terrific.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9212533

Arlene, I'll bet he answers to "Here, Boy" too.

We had Astilbe, both red and white, in a front bed. It took me 4 years to remove it, and I still find it popping up occasionally. I think the white was the one that kept coming back, but I'm not sure.

On the other side, I guess our clematis is finished, but the July first time blooms were a real treat. I'll see if I got some good photos.

We put in our tall dahlias late, so they are no more than a foot high (unless they're really liking the rain). The short, smaller ones are about 18" to 24" and have just started blooming.

Surprise of surprises: I checked the container with the 3 coleus plants, the one missing the variegated sweet potato vine. Lo and behold, there must have been some roots left, because there are now three leaves poking through soil. I don't know if the coloration is the same.

And yes, it is raining here again, and it feels like it is in the 50s.

Marcia
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9212595

Marcia,

He answers to anything and everything. We took him to a store today and I bought him a bed for the car. He had it destroyed within two minutes so I brought it right back and got a refund. He hasn't destroyed anything else so something in the filling must have caused the problem. The new squeaky toy is a huge hit with him. He won't allow Jack or I to take it from him.

The white astilbe grows so fast. I have all colors but the white is the one that grows fastest.

How odd about the return of the sweet potato vine. Just enough must have been left for it to survive. It leads me to believe it was a squirrel or a deer. The deer ate a lot of new growth on one tomato plant that isn't in the vegetable garden last night.

We have rain today and I'm not complaining one bit. We could use this for three days down here.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9221651

Hi everyone, I haven't been on DG in a while, so I've been catching up on all the latest posts.

Arlene, that puppy is toooooo adorable. I don't know if he has a name yet, but since he has a Cuban background, and he makes both you and Jack happy, might I suggest the name Mojito ;~)

I hope all is well in everyone's garden with this blazing summer heat we've been having. Annette

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

July 28, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9221752

Glad the rains came...probably saved my clems...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9222192

We've missed you, Annette. Thanks, re Smitty. He is such a joy. Maybe we'll use Mojito for his surname! So many of us (and our plants) have suffered this long hot summer and we're not even at the halfway mark. Here's Smitty after his shower with me last night.

Marilyn - the last few days have been a blessing with the long, slow rain each day and night.

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9222274

I'm glad you're getting some rain, and hopefully some relief from the heat. We haven't had any rain this week here, but they're talking about pop up storms today, and hopefully we'll get one at my house, LOL.

Smitty is too adorable, I'm glad you and your DH are enjoying the new addition to the family.

Enjoy your special day today, Happy Birthday. Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9222363

We've had nice rains and cooler weather, thankfully, Annette. Those 96 degree days are hard ones for gardening.
Thanks for the good wishes. I hope you get some rain soon.

We're probably overdue for a new thread by now. I'll start a new one now.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9222372

New thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273123/

Everyone is welcome to join us, lurkers or the usual group that congregates here. Please don't be shy!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America