AuthorContent

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9168538

i recently purchased several bushes of 'Sunshine Blue', a variety that is supposed to do well here in the south. i know they need a more acidic soil (though this particular variety is said to get by on less than others). right now they are all in pots until i decide on a permanent location.
my question is: rather than buy sulphur, can i just use epsom salts (which have both magnesium and sulphur)? i can easily purchase sulphur alone if i need to and i can order Espoma from ace if i need to but i already have the epsom salts...

thanks in advance!
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9168872

I don't know how good the epsom salts is for blueberries. I bought Espoma at Home Depot and my six blueberry plants loved it.
vesperholly
GETZVILLE, NY

June 18, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9170881

I don't think Epsom salt is acidic enough magnesium hydroxide is a base and will neutralize the acid in sulphur.

I put coffee grounds on my blueberry plant twice a week, and it responds well.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9171246

well, that is interesting. so one cancels out the other?
samthehavanese
Mohrsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9171899

Or, mix in some Hollytone.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9171934

i think rather than play chemist, i will use the Hollytone!
thanks guys,
:-)
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9172954

Is there a special way to keep a blueberry alive?Is it suppose to die off in the winter, & sprout up in the spring? Mine die off & never come back.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9173038

i just started so i can't speak from experience but i think they are supposed to be evergreen this far south.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9173426

behillman,
Mine dropped all their leaves and went dormant for the winter. They greened up nicely with lots of new leaves in the spring. Being their second year I let them hold their berries--they sure were good. Yours don't happen to be where deer could eat them, are they? They do love them which is why I have fences around mine (made from rabbit wire). Where exactly is Plantersville? Don't know if you're in the warm or cold part of TX. I did mulch my plants with plenty of pine straw for the winter.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9173605

it also makes a difference in what kind of blueberries you have. some are for the north and some are for the south.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9175621

Very true. Mine are all Rabbiteye varieties which are specifically for our southern climate.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 22, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9175635

The woods are full of blueberries here. Acidic soil. They get nice and green and pretty. I never get to taste - the deer and birds have dibs. The other day at the hospital ( we have lots of figs planted) i watched a crow pick the only ripe fig off one tree. All the other figs on all the trees are still green. It was a crazy big and ripe fig...a renegade. I shoulda grabbed it.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9179726

LOL! Birds do love the figs. In order to get any of my crop I have to perch a large plastic owl on a post in the middle of my 5 fig bushes. The birds will finally get wise and fly low to reach the far side of the plants but they won't go near the areas my owl can "see," so we all get enough figs. I started out with two bushes but added three more so I would have enough to share. Missingrosie, sounds like your fig bush must be a Texas Brown Turkey. They're sweet but the skin needs to be removed before you eat it. The layer of white just under the skin is latex--eat enough of it and it will make your tongue tingle :-}
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 25, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9181138

I didn't know that! Yes, brown turkey and ver old. I always eat all parts and so far no tingles -- but don't eat kore than 3 at any given time.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9181983

You're lucky then--some people are very allergic to it. I'm not really allergic but my tongue will tingle if I eat one too many while I'm picking them :-} They're just soooo good it's hard to resist! I also have a Celeste that puts out smaller sweeter figs that don't have the thick lining of latex. They all make great preserves and jam.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9181997

i just ate a handful of the Brown Turkey off my bush...i never have experienced any tingling.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

June 26, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9182425

Guess you got to have the latex allergy at some level. Now, my son...if he eats a banana...he will get itchy in the mouth and the inner ears. If he is already dealing with seasonal allergies and all "fired" up --- eating that banana becomes downright dangerous.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9182438

Kind of like my hubby is TERRIBLY allergic to poison ivy but my son, daughter and I can sit in a field of it and not get the first welt from it. I do get the reaction to the brown turkey figs but it's just an annoying sensation. I have a friend who can't eat them at all. We all have our little blessings.
janet214
Grass Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9207317

High just wanted to let you know that sunshine blue is not a rabbit eye but a cross breed between a northern high bush and a rabbit eye. That us how they came up with the southern high bush. Cottenmeal is a great fertilizer but you can be lazy and use blueberry fertilizer. This year I top dress all blue berries with bumper crop and blueberry fertilizer. All of my blueberries are southern highbush. As for them going dormant...I live a micro-climate of 9a, I lost some leaves but most stayed on with a purple blush.
Behillman...you live a great zone for growing low chill hour southern highbush. Check your ph, remember blueberries are shallow rooted plants so you may need to water them in winter if you have not gotten rain for abit.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9207349

thanks, janet. yes, i knew that Sunshine Blue was not a rabbit eye. the bushes are doing really well; they are still in temporary pots. i've discovered that the weevils love them so i may end up not planting them. once i know that a weevil loves a certain plant, it pretty much is the end of it for me...sigh. (little leaf notcher weevil-scourge of my garden)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America