Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Freezing peppers for canning?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 2, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9168547

My habanero plants are growing like crazy this year & I have more than I can use at one time. I usually make the big-batch Habanero Gold pepper jelly with them, but right now, I simply have more than I can process.

Do you think I can chop them and then freeze for later use? Or can I even freeze them whole? I'm a little worried about how the texture would be & if they'd be too watery.

What do you think?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9180400

Peppers freeze, but don't do em whole- you see bags of diced bells in grocery freezers all the time, when I do have a garden - I pick what I have for the day and add em to an ongoing bag til the bag has enough to suit me, then I also date first peppers to last peppers I added to the bag- usually takes me a week to fill my freezer bag...
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9181502

Thanks for the info. I've been running the peppers through the food processor & sealing them in bags in the quantity I need to make a batch of jelly. That way, I can just pull out the exact amount I need.
Jo-Ann

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America