Are both Calatheas???

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

pretty sure the first one is but not sure about the 2nd one(3rd & 4th pic). Is the first time I have seen it bloom. Thought it was curcuma that I received it as.

Thumbnail by DonnaB Thumbnail by DonnaB Thumbnail by DonnaB Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

can anyone tell me what the 2nd plant is???? 3rd & 4th pics

Cleveland, TX

The first pictures are of Zingiber collinsi and the 3-4th are of Curcuma oligantha, a not very common ginger.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Thanks Tejas. wow got luckie on the curcuma. Yes correct on the Zingiber. I knew I had that but was looking at pic on the web and someone had it named that. My geese helped themselves to all my plant tags in the yard

Saint Gabriel, LA

The Curcuma doesnt really look like either subspecies of Curcuma oligantha. There are several others with similar blooming habits though. One possibility is the EXTREMELY variable C ecomata which comes in numerous color combinations. The dark orange on the lip is unique. The flowers don't seem fully opened on the photo, a closeup of an individual flower would help.

Tim Chapman

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Tim it is blooming again so here are some close ups. I see ants going in and out. Getting nectar??

Thumbnail by DonnaB Thumbnail by DonnaB Thumbnail by DonnaB Thumbnail by DonnaB
Saint Gabriel, LA

Donna,

The flowers closely resemble Curcuma rhomba. The coloring is a little different then the one I've seen, but there is usually a good bit of diversity within wild curcuma spp. Will double check some other photos.

Tim Chapman

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.